gjoynerjr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone. I'm working on porting a VX Ace Ruby plugin to RMMV JavaScript and came across the following line:
Ruby:
$game_self_switches[[@map_id, ev.id, PearlKernel::Enemy_Sensor]]

I don't have a lot of practice with Ruby, so I'm curious as to what this is specifically doing. Is the 3-element array acting as a key, or is it one of those Ruby quirks where it's choosing the first applicable index of the 3? And if so, does anyone with RMMV JS knowledge know whether or not $gameSelfSwitches allows for this?

Thanks!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's using an array as a key, which MV also does. $gameSelfSwitches uses as its object key an array where the first element is the map ID, the second element is the event ID, and the third element is the letter. The only difference is that MV uses $gameSelfSwitches because the Javascript engines use camelCase instead of Ruby's underscores.

gjoynerjr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great! I know the standard is different, but wasn't entirely sure on the functionality. Appreciate it!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great! I know the standard is different, but wasn't entirely sure on the functionality. Appreciate it!
Nah, a lot of the internal stuff was kept surprisingly faithful to RGSS besides the change in naming conventions. Functionally the self switches work exactly the same way as they did before. It's the best way to do it, really: those pieces of data are the minimum you need for a unique identifier of a self switch.

gjoynerjr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good to know! Will certainly make the rest of the porting process easier since I don't have to worry about huge differences in functionality. Really do appreciate all the info. :kaoluv:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Feel free to hit me up if you have any other queries about the porting process, it's something I'm very good at. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Took some trial and error, but I managed to create "visuals" for underground dig path regions.
Couldn't sleep at all so I started working on the topmost deck. I've had to make several deviations from the Imperator/Berengaria's deck-plans to accommodate MV's movement, but 100% accuracy was never my intention.
Still no name for the poor ship...:kaodes:
Screenshot-2022-06-25-053308.png
ScreenShot_6_24_2022_9_20_7.png
Here's Mike when you get a preemptive strike in battle. There's another one for when an enemy sneaks up on you too.
Suddenly, games mean nothing. The money spent was worth it to bring souls towards the light of life. May God bless my path forever. I pray that all are shaken for truth and poured out flat on the table of true understanding, knowledge, and wisdom. Bless you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
artdeko