Question on the technical aspects of "Saving a Game"

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ACECORP, May 15, 2017.

1. ACECORP

ACECORP Founder & Entrepreneur Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What specifically happens in an RPGMaker Game when the "game is saved"?

If I have the identical game (made via RPGMaker MV) installed on two devices, such as a MacBook Pro and an iPhone, or a PC and an Android, what specific files from the /www folder (the HTML 5 portion thats compiled and stored in the exe or .ipa file) do I need to "transfer" between devices to allow the game to pick up where it left off?

For example, I want to save the progress of my game on PC, and then load the same progress on a different PC, to continue where I left off.

What "save game" files do I need to transfer between the two machines?

2. Zalerinian

Zalerinian Jack of all Errors Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The saves are stored using the html5 Local Storage feature. These can't really be exported as single files, but they are stored as JSON values, so if you upload them somewhere, or export them as a file itself, they can be transferred. For a complete solution in moving saves to other computers, the best solution would be a cloud server that maintains a database of the files.

3. ACECORP

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you mean "JSON Values"? Don't you mean mean an actual filename.json file? I am trying to understand exactly what file or files these saves are and what I need to copy from one machine to another. Anything you or anyone can do to provide exact information and specifics would be greatly appreciated.

4. Zarsla

Zarsla Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    in the www file there's a folder called save, that's where all your saves go. Make sure you're games are identical or using the saves from one fike to another, won't work.

5. ACECORP

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Zarsla likes this.