NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recently bought the Time Fantasy base pack from DEGICA Store as I had a promo coupon, pretending to use it in a game jam, but I noticed it says it should be used exclusively in RPGMaker software.

What does that imply, exactly? The EULA didn't specify any consequences and I don't know much about either California law or general stuff.

- If I make a *free* game on another engine (unity, construct) using those specific assets, will I be sued for damages or something? Or will my game just be taken down?

- When making a game (either rm or not) with those kinds of assets, how do I state I have the license to use those assets? Is there some document (like a certificate) I should include with my game?

As I said, bought these before looking closely (lesson learned?), for a non rm game jam, and if I can't use them, I'll probably make some crappy programmer art instead of buying the pack again via Itch.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When it says that it should be used on a RPGMaker software exclusively, it means that there are RTP edits in it, in others words, some of these ressources's origin are tied to one RPGMaker, requiring you to have the said RPGMaker to use it legally.

1) Your game might be taken down if you do not own a copy of the RPGMaker game it requires/if it doesn't follow the terms of use, though if you own a copy of the required engine, you can still use the ressource on another engine, you just need to have purchased the engine it originated from (and to credit Kadokawa, etc etc).

2) I don't recall there being licenses, someone else will probably help you better than me here.

Usually, the terms of use are clear to understand, could you provide a screenshot of the exact sentence regarding the terms of use for the product you bought ?

EDIT : Nevermind, Degica's web store is a trap. Anything you purchase on Degica can only be used on RPGMaker engine because of their EULA. If you want to be able to use a ressource anywhere, you need to purchase it directly from the artist.

TLDR; Don't buy on Degica something that isn't exclusive there if you mind about using the ressources on others engines.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are different types of licences in the Degica shop, which is why there are symbols for the different things allowed or not allowed.
Some of the resources are absolutely tied to the RPG-Makers and are not allowed to be used outside of them - usually when the DLC comes out of the original japanese company.

In other cases it's a question of the price - for some resources there are different licences available, with the RM-Only one cheaper than the unrestricted one (as a form of advertisement to use them in the RM).

And there are even rare cases where the licence is for any use, usually when the artist is western and not connected to the japanese originals.

So without a link to the exact pack we can only guess, but in general your game can be taken down (no matter if free or commercial) if you break the licence of the purchased pack.
Additionally, it might be that the game jam you're writing about has rules that disqualify any entry containing unlicenced resources (which yours would then be)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT : Nevermind, Degica's web store is a trap.
That seems like a really weirdly hostile statement to make. It's pretty clearly labeled and marketed as the DLC store for RPG Maker. It makes no pretense to being a general resource store for general game assets.
Anything you purchase on Degica can only be used on RPGMaker engine because of their EULA. If you want to be able to use a ressource anywhere, you need to purchase it directly from the artist.
That is blatantly untrue. I'm not going to comb through the store for you, but for example I know the products by Kokoro Reflections say "This pack is for use in RPG Maker Series or the engine of your choice."

The engine limitations are created by the artist, not the store.

When it says that it should be used on a RPGMaker software exclusively, it means that there are RTP edits in it
That's also inaccurate, it would not be legal to charge for edits to the RTP.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That seems like a really weirdly hostile statement to make. It's pretty clearly labeled and marketed as the DLC store for RPG Maker. It makes no pretense to being a general resource store for general game assets.

That is blatantly untrue. I'm not going to comb through the store for you, but for example I know the products by Kokoro Reflections say "This pack is for use in RPG Maker Series or the engine of your choice."

The engine limitations are created by the artist, not the store.

That's also inaccurate, it would not be legal to charge for edits to the RTP.
It is a store for RPGMaker, the EULA state its usage is limited to RPGMakers.

I do not understand how something made by a third person outside of RPGMaker would be limited to RPGMaker, besides there being RTP edits, or "official" stuffs. But I forgot that edit of RTP cannot be sold, it's true.

Anyway the terms of use or EULA of each product should be pretty specifics, I don't see how OP is getting something vague out of his purchase. Never had an issue with the terms of a ressource's usage, both for free and paid ressources.

EDIT : Nevermind, Degica's web store is a trap.
Also, my first statement was sarcastic.

EDIT : Also since it looks like it's about Time Fantasy from Degica : https://us.degicashop.com/products/time-fantasy1642047715684.png

Last edited:

Tea++

I'm human
Staff member
Degica
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
EDIT : Nevermind, Degica's web store is a trap. Anything you purchase on Degica can only be used on RPGMaker engine because of their EULA. If you want to be able to use a ressource anywhere, you need to purchase it directly from the artist.

TLDR; Don't buy on Degica something that isn't exclusive there if you mind about using the ressources on others engines.

There are quite a few assets available in the Degica Shop that are licensed for use with any engine.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are quite a few assets available in the Degica Shop that are licensed for use with any engine.
1642048779187.png
Indeed. Anyway it is not the case for Time Fantasy.

Degica Shop makes the terms of use of the products pretty clear to understand, you can even sort the product by terms of use. I guess "Any Engine" would include any engine even outside of RMW, else it's a really bad choice of words.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do not understand how something made by a third person outside of RPGMaker would be limited to RPGMaker, besides there being RTP edits, or "official" stuffs. But I forgot that edit of RTP cannot be sold, it's true.
I've never sold assets, so this is just speculation, but I would assume that it's related to whatever deal the creator agrees to when they publish the assets on Degica's store. It's probably something like Degica takes a smaller cut of the sales if the creator agrees to make it RPG Maker exclusive, or something along those lines.

But I've purchased a decent amount of assets from there that have an open license.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never sold assets, so this is just speculation, but I would assume that it's related to whatever deal the creator agrees to when they publish the assets on Degica's store. It's probably something like Degica takes a smaller cut of the sales if the creator agrees to make it RPG Maker exclusive, or something along those lines.
Some of the RPG Makers only are also available on itch.io for any engine, I'm pretty sure Degica wouldn't allow that since they're not getting a part of the cake (it's the case for Time Fantasy).

But yeah that would make sense...

But I've purchased a decent amount of assets from there that have an open license.
Me too, though turns out you can't get the updates of the ressources if you purchase them on Degica, compared to others places like, again itch.io.

As I said, bought these before looking closely (lesson learned?), for a non rm game jam, and if I can't use them, I'll probably make some crappy programmer art instead of buying the pack again via Itch.
Yeah @NatePlays for this particular ressource, you'll need to buy it again on itch.io. Or maybe try to reach out the artist, he might give you permission or something. I think he already dealt with this kind of situation, though I'm not sure of how it turned out for the customer, as both seem to contradict each others: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/time-fantasy-eula-question.109666/post-974460
But you can always try I guess !

He can be contacted here : http://finalbossblues.com/timefantasy/contact/

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is a store for RPGMaker, the EULA state its usage is limited to RPGMakers.
At this point I just don't know what you're saying. Perhaps it's a translation issue, but you seem to be going back and forth between talking about the entire store (all of the products) and the one specific product the OP mentioned.

It is true that the Time Fantasy base pack is only usable in RPG Maker engines. It is hugely untrue that everything in the DLC shop is only usable in RPG Maker, which is what you claimed in your bold text in your first post.
I do not understand how something made by a third person outside of RPGMaker would be limited to RPGMaker, besides there being RTP edits, or "official" stuffs.
I would presume that they're offered some kind of deal (such as a smaller store cut per transaction), as Arthran said. That would make obvious sense.

Or perhaps the person just likes RPG Maker, or dislikes its competitors, and wants specifically to support it. That's also not very hard to imagine.

KurayamiBlackheart

Phoenix of darkness.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would presume that they're offered some kind of deal (such as a smaller store cut per transaction), as Arthran said. That would make obvious sense.

Or perhaps the person just likes RPG Maker, or dislikes its competitors, and wants specifically to support it. That's also not very hard to imagine.
So why would it be allowed only for RPG Maker on Degica, and for any engine on Itch.io ? It doesn't really make sense. It's like if Degica was betrayed by the artist :rswt it's probably more a store cut than the artist wanting to support RMW. You don't really support them if you also sell the same ressources on itch.io for any engine.

It is true that the Time Fantasy base pack is only usable in RPG Maker engines. It is hugely untrue that everything in the DLC shop is only usable in RPG Maker, which is what you claimed in your bold text in your first post.

I know it is untrue. Degica Shop makes it obvious what can be used where, you just need to look at my 2 previous posts where I talked about it.

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Appreciate all your feedback, truly!
I'm not in a position to question either Des or DEGICA's choices on offering their products in a certain way, so I'll skip that discussion.

Additionally, it might be that the game jam you're writing about has rules that disqualify any entry containing unlicensed resources (which yours would then be)
This is not one of those underground fangame jams, so I'll play safe and forgo using the asset pack anyway. Although *just* having the game pulled out might seem mild to me, I didn't consider the embarrassment that'd bring....

Yeah @NatePlays for this particular resource, you'll need to buy it again on itch.io. Or maybe try to reach out the artist, he might give you permission or something.
I do fear, with all the blatant 'RPGMAKER ONLY' signs I see on the DEGICA store page, that this is out of Des(finalbossblues)'s hands. It's not like I can reply to a takedown with "but the artist let me use it!".

With almost a week since buying the pack, I think I made my decision:
- I will not use it for the game jam. I may use hand drawn assets, collages of free asset packs or whatever I can actually use; it's just a game jam.
- While I'm not keen into using asset packs for a commercial game, I still can use TF for prototyping purposes (I find it prettier than MV/MZ's RTP).
- From the last statement, I'll probably not be buying any packs via DEGICA (unless I get another coupon via RM game jam and find *something* engine-free).

so glad I asked here sooner, imagine the problem's I'd have questioning this *after* making the game...

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's not like I can reply to a takedown with "but the artist let me use it!".
I don't see why not. He is still the copyright holder and has retained all rights to the IP, so it's pretty-much his call. He is the one allowing Degica to sell licenses for the product, not the other way around.

The EULA that comes with Degica's version of Time Fantasy clearly states:

1. Copyright, trademark and other intellectual property rights of Time Fantasy (the "Product") are
property of Jason Perry (the "Creator") and third party allowed by the Creator.

I'm not necessarily trying to change your decision. I just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Arthran : It would have to be honestly decided in court to know the legal decision and most indie devs can't afford court fees to even find out.

@NatePlays : It looks like you have an answer. Do you want me to close it?

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In general, the EULA uses are determined by the creator of the pack.

There are some situations where it is dictated by other stuff (I know that at least one Time Fantasy pack is RM only because it did Time Fantasy versions of some of the older RM RTP characters, and that agreement was set up between Jason and GotchaGotchaGames to allow him to do that).

-Touchfuzzy, just realized I hadn't logged out of this account.

NatePlays

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I got it. Many DEGICA Store packs do use RPGMaker characters, sprites or generator pieces as bases, and thus have a legitimate reason to stay engine-exclusive (following the same rules as the RTP assets). I've heard similar rules apply to modified RTP assets and characters.
Well, fortunately I got a replacement tileset to use, no biggie. I also don't really regret the TF purchase as it's a bit more pleasing than RTP and I got it on sale.
Thanks for the help!
(feel free to close the thread)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hello guys i dont know how to start thread? Can anyone help? I wanted to ask rpgmaker mz turn based tactical tutorial or help.
Played and finished Mad Father, one of the older RPGmaker horror games out there. That was one mad, MAD father
Hi, I am new here, exciting! Emmm where to change my head portrait?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krat