Question on variables and potential skill options

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by BlueSamurai, Jun 12, 2014.

1. BlueSamurai

BlueSamurai Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi, I am a noobie to the RPG Maker community.  (I'm not even sure if I am posting in the right place.  Forgive me if I'm not!)

While working on my game I have developed a level system that is based on variables.  When you do a certain action such as mining a rock you receive a variable of +25 mining experience.  I have also set events that are parallel processes notifying your character when he or she has gained a level which corresponds to different amounts of the variable set as "mining experience".  What I want to know is if there is a way that when you are playing IN GAME you can figure out how much of a variable your character has.  So say if I mined a rock 4 times I could be able to tell that I had the variable of 100 Mining experience.  I also want to know if there is a script or some way to set up another option in the menu screen that could say "Character Skills" and would show that one that I made displaying Mining and would be able to show your current level and experience and future levels that need certain amounts of experience (or of the variable that represents experience).  I apologize if this subject has already been discussed but I could not find a thread relateable to my problem.    

2. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the term \v[x] shows the value of he variable x in textboxes...
    if you want to make a menu you'd need a menu system with pictures or a script though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't use parallel processes to check when a level has been gained. If you want to do something special when that happens, set up the check and result in a common event (with no trigger), and whenever you change the variable (eg - when you mine a rock and +25 experience), do a Call Common Event.

You don't want parallel process running, that do the check 60 times a second, when the variable is only going to be changed maybe once in 3-4 seconds, maybe not for 20 minutes.

RyokuHasu likes this.
  4. BlueSamurai

First Language:
    English
    Do you mean that I would set up an event (such as a random guy), insert a textbox, and put /v[Mining EXP] for his dialogue?  I tried that and it only showed /v[Mining EXP].

5. BlueSamurai

First Language:
    English
    That is good to know Shaz!  Thanks for the info. 

6. Waterguy

Waterguy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, you put the number of the variable. Also, it has to be \, not /.

7. BlueSamurai

First Language:
    English
    It works!  Thank you for your knowledge and patience Waterguy =D

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suggest you search the forum for the Variables Guide, that is a game that shows you how to do a lot with variables...

BlueSamurai likes this.
  9. BlueSamurai

First Language:
    English
    That guide was very informative and has given me a lot to think about in how I can make certain events function.  Thank you for letting me know about it Andar.