Question regarding RPG Maker MV trial

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Joshuam303, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshuam303

Joshuam303 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi! I was recently thinking of getting RPG maker MV but wanted to try it first of all and have a couple of questions if anyone could answer them :)

1) what limits are in the trail?

2) is it worth starting now until I buy it or will the data not transfer to the main thing ?

3) is there anyway to see all the tile sets on the world bit? I've tried changing them from "area" to "world" but it doesn't seem to stay and show there

4) Is it worth the price for a game dev kit?

5) is it worth getting the steam dlc stuff?

6) does the sprite editor I got for VX Ace work with this one? (I got it on a humble bundle)

7) Is there any season passes for MV or am I going to need to buy all the dlc? xD

8) is there anyway to have certain classes to require another class? I am wanting to make my game say like if you pick a paladin when you start and at level 30 you get a choice between 3-4 options ?

9) Is there anyway to give players the character generator for them to make their characters?

10) any animal sprites in the app?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You realise you posted in the RPG Creator support forum, which is a different product altogether.

1. There might be limits to how many slots you can use in each database tab, how many maps you can create, how many events on each map. Ace also had limits in that you couldn't use scripts or script commands, but I'm not sure if MV is the same.

2. There isn't a trial version vs a bought version. There is one version. You change it from a trial to a full version buy buying it and entering your activation key. Everything you do in the trial version will still be there in your project after you purchase.

3. What do you mean? You have several tilesets, and you can use one per map. Each tileset can have up to 9 slots - 5 for the A slots (autotiles, though A5 isn't an autotile), and 4 for the B-E tiles. If any of those tabs aren't showing up in your tile palette, it's because no image has been selected for that slot in the Tilesets tab. Don't muck around with the "area" and "world" settings unless you know what you're doing. Most of the time you'll leave it as "area".

4. Considering all the resources that come with it and the fact that you can make commercial games and not have to pay any royalties, it's definitely worth the price. That's not factoring in all the community-made resources that you can get for free (though you may not be able to use all of them in a commercial game).

5. Most of the steam DLC stuff is available as standalone from the forum store. Note that you can only get the Steam DLC stuff if you buy RPG Maker from Steam.

6. No. The resources are different sizes. You could make your sprites in Ace, then resize them, but you'd have to do that for all your sprites so they don't look mismatched. There's a built-in sprite generator in MV (though there was in Ace as well). If you're referring to Game Character Hub, I think you can either get a version of that for MV now, or the original version has been updated to include MV sizes. Don't quote me on that though - I don't have it so am just going from (very fuzzy) memory.

7. There used to be and you may still be able to get it on Steam (don't know for sure, don't use steam).

8. You can change classes in the default engine, and there are also plugins that allow you to have subclass systems or more complex class relations. Whatever isn't there can be added by plugins.

9. You can't give them the character generator itself, but you could build something similar into the game. There is probably already a plugin for it.

10. Yes.

A lot of this you could have found out by just downloading the trial from the forum store (I don't think Steam gives you a trial?) and playing around with it. Grab it, experiment a bit, ask about stuff you can't figure out :)

3. Joshuam303

First Language:
    English

No I didn't sorry :( I don't use this forum often

1) ahh I haven't come across any limits yet hence me asking

2) ahh right

3) I mean I was hoping for more slots per one, like I like the overworld's shade of green much much nicer than the area's shade of green but I want the areas building stuff and such

4) ahh me and my friend are trying to make a game so I was curious, it does seem like the perfect software since we both get majorly confused when it comes to coding and we also both wanted to make an RPG

5) I was going to get it for steam and what do you mean standalone? Like I can get it for free on this site? but I was wondering about prices because the entire dlc cost £2k + xD

6) is the in game one you're talking about the character generator ?

7) ahh

8) change classes like on the go? and plugins?

9) cool

10) good, one of the classes I was gonna add is druid

4. Joshuam303

First Language:
    English

I was just watching a vid showing the sub class and changing classes is there anyway to remove that ? like I want to make the classes lock so if they choose say Rogue at character creation they'd be stuck with it for that play-through until they get to choose a subclass like ninja, pirate so on and then they'd be that class for all intensive purposes

they'd still have some of the more basic rogue abilities but with the new class abilities added in

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Product Discussion and Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Please don't double post - that is, post again straight after yourself, unless 72 hours have passed. If you want to have more than one quote, use the multi-quote button, or the forum will automatically start a new post for each quote.

If you do not give the player the option (by inputting it yourself during development) of changing classes, then they cannot change classes. The player can only do what you allow them to do. If, on the other hand, you set it up so that they can change classes or sub-classes, then they can.

As for needing more tile slots, you have options. Have a unique tile set for each map. Have a tile sheet with a choice of colors on it.

Standalone means that it is on your HD and nowhere else, i.e. not on Steam. If you buy MV here in the webstore, you also get a Steam key, so effectively you can use whichever you prefer. If you buy it on Steam, you do not get a standalone key. The Steam version is the only one you can use.

Although the total cost of all dlc might be in the region you say (don't know, never added it up), no one would ever buy the whole lot in one go. Many things are in different styles, and you could not mix them in one game. For example PV Games packs are in a totally different style from what comes with the engine. Different battler packs are in varying styles. Retro style could not be mixed with ordinary style. And so on. People buy the one or 2 packs that they want for a particular game.

If you download the engine from here and use it for the trial period, virtually all of your questions would be answered. If you don't like what you see/experience you are not out of pocket. That would be a much more effective and efficient use of your time than asking here.

6. Joshuam303

First Language:
    English

Okay thanks :) and I double posted? and how would I make it like I said ? so the player starts the game , chooses a class then at level 30 chooses from the options (say they choose a paladin at start and at level 30 they can choose dark knight, templar and healer) then after choosing one of the options the first class would go (so when they check it'd say templar not templar / paladin) can I do that with the subclass plugin? or is that for 2 at the same time?

7. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About the DLCs, as Kes explained, pretty much nobody buy them all.
    Understand that those DLC are almost exlusively additional resources (tilesets, musics, sprites...). So you do not absolutely need them to make a game and it doesn't affect the maker itself. The actual version updates of MV are always completely free as long as you got your paid version of MV.

You can do whatever you want if you work hard enough, but what you're asking could actually be done with the default engine just by having an event checking the player's level and class, and asking him to choose a new class.

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, you did double post. Post #3 and post #4 are both by you with the second one 8 minutes after the first.

This is not the forum to discuss implementation in great detail. What you want to do can be done, and there are a variety of ways of doing it, depending on how you want to do it. I repeat my suggestion that you get the trial version and play around with it. There are a number of tutorials you could look at which explain many things. Andar's compilation of info for new users links to several of them, including a playable tutorial for the Event Menu Commands.

9. Joshuam303

First Language:
    English
    I might do that then and it was more for the castle stuff, sprites and the rest bar music but I can try make my own tilesets can't I ?

I have the trial version xD but it's just more confusing , I have a disease called Juvenile Huntington disease and one of the symptoms is it affects my brain's ability to think so I get confused mega easy haha

Also how do I use the Character creator thing to make NPC's? I made a character using it to be a NPC but it doesn't seem to show up in the image bit of edit event

also about me making a event to check for the level 30 and a certain class will I need to put this event in each area? or will one be enough

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
  10. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Joshuam303 : Post questions for each of those under MV Support, as that is where how to I questions go. Also note that double posting is posting under your own post within 72 hours and no one has posted between them, so please edit your previous post next time. I merged your posts for you.

11. Joshuam303

First Language:
    English
    ahh I thought double posting was like posting the same thing twice , can I edit my messages instead of posting another?

12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Joshuam303 Yes, we much prefer you to edit your posts rather than double post. You can quote multiple people in one post by clicking the +Quote button for each one, then the Insert Quotes button once you've selected them all. Optionally, you can simply tag members to address them, rather than quote them, as I've done in this post.

Since your initial questions were answered and this is turning into multiple support questions, I'm going to close this. Please post your questions about how to make specific things work in the MV Support section. It's strongly encouraged that you spend some time working through tutorials and learning how to use the engine before posting your questions, as those tutorials may answer a lot of things for you. Also, please post one question per topic and give it a meaningful title so people know whether they can help you or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.