Questions about android/iOS

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I decided for my next project to go the pc and mobile route with MV. I never exported to mobile and never coded an app for mobile so I'm a complete beginner when it comes to that (I've coded in C# but not in java, and of course I can do javascript). I just have a couple of questions about Android deployment in general, coming from the perspective of a coder (since I plan on coding all the plugins in my project, I need to know how android works, and how RPG Maker MV behaves on android).

1. Is the game in portrait mode or landscape mode? And does it change with the phone orientation or not? Anyways to lock the game into landscape or portrait?

2. If the game is in portrait mode, how does it render the game canvas? Assuming that the game's aspect ratio is very different then the phone canvas (example: game is 1280x720, but the phone in portrait mode is 1080x1920).

3. What are the usual mobile resolutions? Especially the most popular aspect ratios.

4. Are there virtual input buttons, or is everything done through touch input?

5. Tap is confirm, and what's cancel on mobile? Two finger tap? (I know this one should be obvious, but I never really use my phone except for calling and messaging).

6. Are there any limitations on mobile that aren't there on PC?

7. I remember an issue with audio on mobile. Is it fixed? And what was it exactly?

8. Any thing I should keep in mind while coding my plugins for mobile?

That's all I can think of for now. If I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out. Thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
6. Are there any limitations on mobile that aren't there on PC?
7. I remember an issue with audio on mobile. Is it fixed? And what was it exactly?
6) mobiles have less hardware capacity (RAM/CPU) than full computers. A lot of things that work on computers will lag a game to death on mobile. This specifically goes for parallax maps (don't make them bigger than screensize if you use them at all, 20x20 tiles parallax can be the limit depending on hardware).
It also goes for plugins as a lot of plugins require excess RAM due to not being optimized for mobile.

8) there never was anything to fix.
The problem was and is that different mobiles have different codecs for handling audios, that is the main reason why you need to provide all audios in two files (only one of which will be used, but you won't know which one because it depends on the mobile hardware).
And you can't experiment too much with the codecs because if you're using an exotic codec for better compression you're risking no audio on mobiles with old codec chips.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!!
First, let me answer your questions!

1 - You can choose between the two(landscape or portrait), or automatic.

2 - If I understand you correctly, it will resize the resolution. My game is 768x720(landscape). And in different phone resolutions, it resizes it. Although leave a black bar on the sides.
If you put portrait mode in a phone with a resolution of 1280x720 and your game has 1104x624, I think it will resize to the sides and leave a black bar

3 - There is a lot of threads here that people discuss that. Mostly go with 1104x624, because both are divisible by 48, and it is only a bit slow for an aspect ratio of 16:9(1104x621). You can see here a list of true 16:9 resolutions.
Particularly I prefer the ones that at least give me 720p. Ex: YYYx720
Also there a lot of people say that is best to approach a resolution that is divisible by 48. But I don't know if it is really a question anymore.
I also see some people put 960x540.

4 - Everything can be done through touch inputs, but I think it is not good. But there a lot of plugins done that input virtual buttons on the screen. Yanfly, Mbs, AloeGuvner, Uchuzine...

5 - Yes, two-finger tap cancel/ open menu.

6 - Parralax map is a question on mobile. Some of them cannot handle the cache limit over 50mb. I strongly advise you to name all of your files without spaces and in lowercase. Some people already complained about that on mobile. The file Actor.png and actor.png, in windows, both are the same. But on mobile, they are two different files.

7 - It is fixed. Advise you to use a plugin called RS_OnlyOGG.js. Because with that, you can use only ogg files for audio in mobile, instead of m4a and Ogg(with can leave you with a big app size).

8 - I know there are some plugins that don't work on mobile. I can't say for sure why. But SRD super tolls engine, hudmaker are ones of them.

Well, there is a lot of things that differ from mobile and pc for RPG maker mv. First of all, is the performance... You have to keep that in mind.
- Watch out for big maps(50x50 or higher) and parallaxes.
- Also, some phones can present distortions on the graphics. I don't know why. I've searched a lot, ask a lot, but it seems that is the problem with the phones, not with Rm Mv(not sure about that). But if you use parallax, you are free of that.
- There some cases that the message window cannot draw all the text, and it "eat" part of the text.
- The best way to change your game into an apk/app bundle is with an android studio project by altimit.
- Battle scene in a lot of phones that I tested, drop a lot of fps.

- I'm sure there are other things. But I can't remember now =/ Maybe with more questions I can remember. If you need anything during the deployment/test of your project and put in the google play store(if it is for android), I can help you ^^
Just message me ^^

[EDIT] But I think the best way is for you to try it yourself. Make a map, do something there, export to mobile and test it.
My game uses all maps in parallax(signature). They are all images. when I put one in 90x90, in my old LG X POWER(QUAD CORE 1.3GHZ / 2GB RAM) give me a black screen.
But a map of 50x50 works ok on this old phone.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1 - You can choose between the two(landscape or portrait), or automatic.
First of all thanks for answering.

How do you choose between landscape or portrait? Setting in the apk?

2 - If I understand you correctly, it will resize the resolution. My game is 768x720(landscape). And in different phone resolutions, it resizes it. Although leave a black bar on the sides.
If you put portrait mode in a phone with a resolution of 1280x720 and your game has 1104x624, I think it will resize to the sides and leave a black bar
If in portrait mode, will it resize the canvas and leave big black bars on top and bottom, or will it zoom in to fill the screen? (I've seen some people in portrait mode that had zoomed in screens).

3 - There is a lot of threads here that people discuss that. Mostly go with 1104x624, because both are divisible by 48, and it is only a bit slow for an aspect ratio of 16:9(1104x621). You can see here a list of true 16:9 resolutions.
Particularly I prefer the ones that at least give me 720p. Ex: YYYx720
Also there a lot of people say that is best to approach a resolution that is divisible by 48. But I don't know if it is really a question anymore.
I also see some people put 960x540.
I was referring to the phone screen resolutions, not the game. Sorry for not being clear. I just wanted to know the most popular resolutions for phone before choosing an aspect ratio for my project.

6 - Parralax map is a question on mobile. Some of them cannot handle the cache limit over 50mb. I strongly advise you to name all of your files without spaces and in lowercase. Some people already complained about that on mobile. The file Actor.png and actor.png, in windows, both are the same. But on mobile, they are two different files.
So as long as I keep a scene under 50mb of Cache it should be fine on most device? Just need a clarification here. I'll probably code my own parallax plugin and optimize it for mobile, so I need to know what to keep an eye on.

But I think the best way is for you to try it yourself. Make a map, do something there, export to mobile and test it.
My game uses all maps in parallax(signature). They are all images. when I put one in 90x90, in my old LG X POWER(QUAD CORE 1.3GHZ / 2GB RAM) give me a black screen.
But a map of 50x50 works ok on this old phone.
Yeah of course, testing is the best way. But I need to keep the important limitations in mind since I'm rewriting most of all the default plugins and coding all my additional plugins for the project. That takes time and I can't really test on mobile as easily as testing on PC.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi again!

How do you choose between landscape or portrait? Setting in the apk?
Yes, in android studio you can choose the orientation!

If in portrait mode, will it resize the canvas and leave big black bars on top and bottom, or will it zoom in to fill the screen? (I've seen some people in portrait mode that had zoomed in screens).
In portrait mode, in my tries, it leaves the black bars below and puts the game screen on top.
For example, in the landscape. If the phone has 1280x720, if you put a game of 816x624, it will resize proportionally to fit 720. When it reaches that, it will stop resizing, leaving the black bars. I think you can follow the same logic for portrait mode, which will turn into 720x1280. So it will fill all the way to 720(width). But I really do not try so much in portrait. Instead, I also have thought of put as landscape and change the default resolution of the game to be in portrait. This part I don't know if I can help with more than that.

I was referring to the phone screen resolutions, not the game. Sorry for not being clear. I just wanted to know the most popular resolutions for the phone before choosing an aspect ratio for my project.
Oh, ok! So, in this case, 16:9 aspect ratio for sure! It will cover most of the phones.

So as long as I keep a scene under 50mb of Cache it should be fine on most device? Just need clarification here. I'll probably code my own parallax plugin and optimize it for mobile, so I need to know what to keep an eye on.
Yeah, for sure. Lg X power is very old, and it has been able to handle the game with less than 50mb only. So if you are trying to aim also on low devices, keep that in mind. You can track the cache with this.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Swapped back to my original meds, but the flippity floppity has me reeling. T ^T I have game making and song collabs to do, hurry up, health. lol
It took me 6 retries to get the color of Yoshi I wanted. 30 mins of recording. 30 mins of voice work. Probably another 20 mins of waiting in between takes. But finally I got him...
I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).
Start of semester today. This is going to be a long one.
Can't wait for the next Sonichu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arkyn3K