Questions about art in a Commercial game

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by FallenStar27, Jun 10, 2019.

1. FallenStar27

FallenStar27 A dying star Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It may seem like a silly question. I'm making my first game. I don't plan on selling it. But it's been on my mind because eventually I'd like to look into selling games once I have a better understanding of scripting and using game engines. What IS allowed to be used in a game?

To clarify if you use the grass tiles already provided in RPG maker MV is it not legal to sell the game? Should all the art be made from scratch? Is it the same with the in game sprites? What about music? I feel I have a slightly better understanding of music as I have some experience purchasing music rights for youtube. Normally it'll say in the clause if the product in question makes more than X amount of money you will owe a portion of it to the artist in question. It's just the art I'm not sure about.

Or is it mostly just frowned upon to use the art already provided? If you'd rather focus on making the game rather than designing your own art from scratch where is it recommended that one obtain said art?

Sorry about all the questions. I hope my question made sense.

2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    All RTP resources (resources that come with RPG Maker when you install/download it) are okay to use in your commercial games. That includes Graphics, Music, Plugins, etc. You cannot use those same resources in games made with other middleware (such as Unity), though you can use them in another version of RPG Maker as long as you own both versions.

Anything you buy from the official Store here will have its own terms inside the download, but almost all of them do allow you to use their contents in any RPG Maker game (with proper credit).

For anything else you download from a workshop or from the internet, you need to abide by the author's terms of use. If the terms do not specify whether commercial use is allowed, try contacting the author - but if you don't receive an answer, assume that commercial use is not okay.

FallenStar27 likes this.
  3. FallenStar27

FallenStar27 A dying star Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you. Your answer was extremely helpful!

Wavelength likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Basically you can use anything that you have a licence to use for.
    However that licence depends on the creator of the resource.
    There are a lot of resources on this forum that are free for non-commercial use but require a payment or are not allowed for commercial use.
    What you purchase in Degica's webshop or on steam alwways comes with a licence for commercial use.
    if you get a resource from a random website, it is your responsibility to check if you are allowed to use it - ripped resources are never allowed to be used (neither commercial or non-commercial) and can result in your game being taken down and you being sued even if it was non-commercial.

FallenStar27 likes this.
  5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  6. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It takes a lot of work, but email/PM/or even call (yes call) authors or host sites of images or parts of image you would like to use. I found a assortment of theater "backdrops" that with some TLC can turn into excellent backgrounds for Battlebacks, you just make the floor though.

I went through receptionist, warehouse distributor, sales team and finally the president of the company and we cut a deal. They cost a good bit, but considering the amount paid is typical of high level commission work, at least you already know for.a fact what you are getting instead of risking your hired artist turns out to be a flop. They said this first was the first time anything like this has ever been requested lol.

FallenStar27 likes this.