Questions about customizing Yanfly's Battle Engine...

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by celebrus, Aug 17, 2012.

1. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi everyone!

I need some help getting battles to go down the way I want... I've recently been experimenting with Yanfly's Battle-related scripts. There's a steep learning curve to all of this, so I'm hoping an expert can give me some guidence.

I have three questions.

My characters don't have TP or MP. TP is disabled already. MP bars show up in the battle and the menu. How can I eliminate both of these references to MP? Note: I looked in the Battle Engine script and found the following code:

Code:
      #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      # overwrite method: draw_item
      #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
      def draw_item(index)
        return if index.nil?
        clear_item(index)
        actor = battle_members[index]
        rect = item_rect(index)
        return if actor.nil?
        draw_actor_face(actor, rect.x+2, rect.y+2, actor.alive?)
        draw_actor_name(actor, rect.x, rect.y, rect.width-8)
        draw_actor_action(actor, rect.x, rect.y)
        draw_actor_icons(actor, rect.x, line_height*1, rect.width)
        gx = YEA::BATTLE::BATTLESTATUS_HPGAUGE_Y_PLUS
        contents.font.size = YEA::BATTLE::BATTLESTATUS_TEXT_FONT_SIZE
        draw_actor_hp(actor, rect.x+2, line_height*2+gx, rect.width-4)
        if draw_tp?(actor) && draw_mp?(actor)
    	  dw = rect.width/2-2
    	  dw += 1 if $imported["YEA-CoreEngine"] && YEA::CORE::GAUGE_OUTLINE
    	  draw_actor_tp(actor, rect.x+2, line_height*3, dw)
    	  dw = rect.width - rect.width/2 - 2
    	  draw_actor_mp(actor, rect.x+rect.width/2, line_height*3, dw)
        elsif draw_tp?(actor) && !draw_mp?(actor)
    	  draw_actor_tp(actor, rect.x+2, line_height*3, rect.width-4)
        else
    	  draw_actor_mp(actor, rect.x+2, line_height*3, rect.width-4)
        end
      end
    If I delete everything after and including that IF statement, it appears to work, but I' don't know if I'll miss that later...

I have some two types of characters.

One who can either attack or use a skill with no variations, with an ideal Command List like this:

*Attack

*Skill (without a submenu)

*Guard

*Item

The other type cannot attack but may instead use a skill with variations, with an ideal Command List like this:

*Skill (with submenu)

*Guard

*Item

How can I get it to work like this?

This one is related to some bugs that are certainly a result of my own idiocy... When a player attacks, it shows the HP damage on the enemy followed by "null". Also, when I do a buff it will show text that says something like "AGI?{" or "DEF?{"... Finally, the view appears to have become wider, making the battle and title screen images not wide enough. How can that be resolved?

I know that's a lot of questions... Guidance on any is greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at changing core functionality like this.

But I truly thank you!!

2. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I can't help with #1.

#2. You can do this with Yanfly's Battle Command List script. If you follow the instructions in the script, you can put notetags for each actor. So for your first example would be:

Code:
    <command list>
    attack
    skill x
    defend
    item
    </command list>

x would be the Skill ID so when the player selects that, the actor will use that skill straight away without any submenus.

As for the second example, it's virtually the same thing only "skill x" turns into "skill list x" where X is the ID of the Skill Type (which can be find under the System tab in the Database).

#3. In Yanfly's Ace Core Engine script it should be one of the first configurable parts there. I haven't got RMVXA available to check where exactly, but by default the Ace Core Engine extends the width 640 pixels. You can change it in the script back to 544 pixels (the original width).

celebrus likes this.
  3. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to script support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @McTricky: OK, first of all, you're the man. Everything you advised worked perfectly! Any thoughts on what's causing the "null"s and "DEF?{"s?

And also, some skills work for all allies or all enemies. Yanfly's battle system makes me confirm the target, but there's only one possibility... Is there any way to skip that confirmation? Thanks!

EDIT: @Celianna: Sorry about that.

EDIT 2: I saw the place where the ?{ and NULL was coming from... I just changed "NULL" to "" and "%s?{" to "%s". Is that the logical thing to do? I don't even know what a nulled attack is... Maybe I'm living under a rock! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  5. McTricky

McTricky Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, there is. I THINK it's somewhere in the Battle Command List script OR somewhere in the Ace Battle Engine script where you can disable the confirmation box.

6. celebrus

celebrus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I found this:

Code:
    USE_CONFIRM_WINDOW = false # Set to false if you don't wish to use it.
    But that's for the last confirmation. I'm not seeing the action-based confirmation, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: OK. #1, #2, and #3 are all solved, except I haven't been able to override this feature of Yanfly's Battle Engine:

Code:
    # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Targeting Window
    # -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Another thing that's changed is when skills that
    # target multiple targets are selected, there is a confirmation step that the
    # player must take before continuing. In this confirmation step, all of the
    # multiple targets are selected and in the help window would display the scope
    # of the skill (such as "All Foes" or "Random Foes"). RPG Maker VX Ace skipped
    # this step by default.
    Any help is appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012