Questions about forming a development team

HeroAlmighty

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(Off topic: First of all, I apologize in advanced if this is the wrong thread to post this question. Also I know I have a lot of prematurely abandoned threads somewhere in these forums as well, and I apologize for those as well. This won't become one of those threads because I am legitimately interested in this topic, though, so I'll try to respond to it as is reasonable!)

Hello! I'm a very, very casual owner of RPG Maker MV, such that I find it hardly fitting to call myself a solo game developer. But recently, me and a friend of mine have been working on a game, and I'm not sure if it'll ever be published or if it's just a hobby between the two of us - but the sheer size of the game and some of the resources we may want for it had me wondering about some very serious video game design questions.

Basically, I'm curious about the process and practice of getting outside help for creating games in RPG Maker:
  • Would you say it's better to avoid getting outside help if I can manage it? And at what point is outside help necessary?
  • If I do need outside help, is it better to privately commission someone (i.e. for programming help or sprite resources), or should I aim at creating a dedicated team of people to work on the project?
  • If I do resort to outside help, how do I find good people to work with? How do I form and communicate with a team? And how can I know if they're trustworthy people and won't scam or cheat or rob me?
  • How do I pay them? With my own money? Should I do a kickstarter? Is that frowned upon in the RPG Maker community? I assume if I need to pay anyone for their help, I'd be resorting to monetizing the game to some degree, correct?
  • Is there anything I may be forgetting to ask here? Please let me know your thoughts on the subject, I'm really curious about this whole process!
Thanks in advanced! Sorry if any of these answers are obvious, I just want to make sure!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First, it is possible to finish a game project alone - but it will take many years and a lot of determination.

If you do want to get outside help, your main problem will be to prove that you can finish your game. Because that question about scamming goes both ways - how do the others know that you won't scam or cheat them?
There are too many cases of abandoned projects out there, and no one wants to put in their work to have the project leader vanish halfway through the work. Because then no one can use any of the incomplete parts anymore.

So that means you either have to show something (an earlier finished project or that you already got a good part of the current project without help), or you have to pay people, or you have to gain experience first by joining a project headed by someone else.

Paying someone is different than giving promises of payment later. Kickstarter and profit sharing are NOT considered good ways to pay helpers, not unless those helpers are your personal friends that are willing to accept those promises out of friendship. If you want to commission professional artists or similar you'll have to pay up directly.

HeroAlmighty

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I see! Thank you for the response! Yeah, I figured there was a good deal of responsibility when it comes to making games in a group, but I didn't think about how much of that rested on me! Me and my friend may have to make this game alone, since I have a lot of unfinished personal projects and nothing to show for my ability to finish something (even if you take my word for it, I have to tell you it's not good ). Thank you for the information, though!

Etarxer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, I see! Thank you for the response! Yeah, I figured there was a good deal of responsibility when it comes to making games in a group, but I didn't think about how much of that rested on me! Me and my friend may have to make this game alone, since I have a lot of unfinished personal projects and nothing to show for my ability to finish something (even if you take my word for it, I have to tell you it's not good ). Thank you for the information, though!

Just to add here, it's not other projects you have finished it's the project you are working on. Completely make this project with default everything. The parts you want scripting help with make a note pad with how you want things to work. Use dummy events that just show text messages of what is supposed to happen there. You can always add art into a project. And if you only use the default eventing with minimal scripting it'll be easier to add in systems and functions later that won't cause an error with what's already there.

This way when you go to hire help you can say here is the game we will be working on, these are the systems I want implemented, and this is the art direction I want to take. And once you have those it's a matter of plugging them into the already finished game and then you're done basically. Minus play testing to make sure it all works as intended.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png
I always smile to myself when I see someone do the "immediate halt and spin around" from forgetting something. I find it sort of endearing how we all do it without ever being taught to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ekqul