Questions about sprites and monster battlers.

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by CharRedBaron, Jul 15, 2014.

1. CharRedBaron

CharRedBaron Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I will be coming into some ok money soon, and I was wondering about a few things.

If I would want sprites, and a few side view battlers. How much would quality work cost me? per sprite/battler? You see I want to offer something that makes sense, as I understand that artists work hard and I would not want to offer something laughable and get nowhere. 

2. Vexed

Vexed Malibu Darby Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It depends really on the size and style of sprite you're after but for me personally, standard Ace size or a little taller in a style I'm comfortable with I'd charge £15-20 per sprite [about $26-31].

Sideview battler pricing could vary greatly depending on whether you would need them animated, how many animations per battler you would require, the size and level of detail you would want - with FF6/Milano Cat style static side-view battlers being probably the cheapest compared to animated battlers.

3. CharRedBaron

First Language:
    French
    For my first go around, I would probably not want animated battlers.

But if I where to ask a price range for

Animated battlers

FF6 style non animated battlers

what would the range for both?

Edit: people showing me their work and the best prices(without slaving yourself of course) I might contact you via pm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can check the classified - offers forum, there are a lot of artist with examples for their prices (usually tilesets or bust/faces, but it will give you a lot more to compare prices)

5. CharRedBaron

First Language:
    French
    thank you :)

I mainly made this topic so I could get an idea and to get offers from people.

6. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I personally have been having the opposite problem, in that I'm not really sure what to charge for my commercially available graphics. (I have some free ones up for noncommercial projects).

I asked one of the other artists who suggested charging by the hour, rather than by the item. As I'm fairly new, I figured about $7 an hour would be a decent price.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you want offers, you need to post in Classifieds - Requests, and give a lot more information about what you're seeking. This is a general discussion forum.

Basically - find a few people whose work you like, and ask them what they charge. Be very sure of what you want - does "sprite" mean 4 directions, 3 frames, or does it mean a whole swag of battle poses and animations? Make sure you and the artist are talking about the same thing.

I would NOT recommend charging by the hour if you're new @captainproton. Since you don't have a lot of experience and don't know how long it'll take, your estimate could be way off (most newbies grossly UNDERestimate how long things will take) and you'll either be charging more and end up with an unhappy customer, or you'll take the brunt of it and get a low amount for something that should have cost much more. And people don't like paying a lot for what's basically "practice" work. Paying a skilled person by the hour is one thing - you know the hour is going to be spent productively. Paying a less skilled person by the hour is completely different - you're likely to be paying them to fix mistakes and work slowly. Nobody wants to do that. Once you have a good amount of work up your sleeve, you'll be better able to judge how long things will take, and in a better position to provide more realistic quotes, and to meet them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    CharRedBaron and Vexed like this.
  8. CharRedBaron

First Language:
    French
    Thank you for the answers people I appreciate it.