questions about the rpg software

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by lauwer1000, Apr 19, 2015.

1. lauwer1000

lauwer1000 Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Um hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but i had a few questions about this software and what you can do with it. 

1. Is this software really easy to learn? (from what i can tell it looks like the easiest and the cheapest one out there.) (i have absolutely no programming skills)

2. I was wondering if you can like put animations into the game like as cut scenes? (something like a 2d flash animation? or even just a sequence or pictures so that it looks like animation. I really want to have like really cool animations in my game. Are either of those possible.) 

3. what type of images can you use when a character is talking. Like can you put like a partial body in there or just a little box with a head shot. (does that make sense. like you know how in some games when you talk to a character like a more detailed full or partial body depiction pops up on the side.) 

4. would you recommend buying that program they sell to help you make objects and characters. Also would you recommend buying the resource packs or just making stuff yourself?

5.  Can you really sell your games even if you use the resource packages? It their like a royalty system? (I don't plan to sell any of my games but it's good to know) 

I haven't yet bought the software yet because i want to be sure that i can work with it and i also have to save up the money (it's alot for me) Anyway if anyone could answer my questions that would be great. I have some really great ideas and i hope this software can help me make it come true. 

p.s. if i should get the character/item crater software can i buy it before i get the full program and work on my stuff or does it need to have the program to run?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Moving to Product Discussion and Support

1. Yes

2. You can play movies in Ace, so you could do your cutscenes like that, or you could just do them using event commands with the game's own animations (including new animations you add - not 2D Flash)

3. You can make any kind of image you want. By default it uses faces, but with scripts you can change it to use portraits, busts, full body, whatever you want.

4. Ace comes with a character generator. If you're talking about GCH, it does more than the character generator does. Play with the engine first, then see if you need something else

5. Yes, you can sell your games, with the default graphics, with the graphics you purchase in the store, or with other graphics that are provided by other artists where they say you can use them in commercial games. No, there is no royalty system. You pay for your resources when you buy them, and that's it.

ps. Yes, if you want to get the character generator program, you can get it before you buy Ace and start using it. It does not need Ace to run.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  3. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1] You need no programming knowledge. Just a few concepts on how things work. There are lots of tutorials anyway. ;)

2] video

5] Yes under the terms they come with.

Try the LITE version to test it.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1. Yes, absolutely.  Young children have been able to pick it up, you'll have no problems.  Now, to do really fancy or unusual stuff that gets harder but it's the easiest way to make a RPG styled game out there, for certain.  And it's fun. :)

2. Yes, but there isn't support for flash files.  If you want it to play like a movie, adding a movie file is your best bet.  You can do shorter or smaller animations using other methods but if you go too big or long there starts to be issues with things like lag.

Do you do animation?  If so, that's very cool.  Not a lot of people are willing to do that much work.

3. Shaz answered this very well.

4. I would personally only recommend GCH if you aren't an artist.  It's a really good character generator tool but if you're an artist it doesn't really do much more that you could do with your favorite art program.  The reason why it's good is because it's made specifically for the purpose of building sprites, making it much easier for non-artists to use.

I highly recommend buying resource packs, but as I made one of the packs I'm very biased.  On a more serious note, making art for an entire RPG is usually way more work than an artist realizes, so it's much better to start with art that you want to use and modify or expand on that instead of making things from scratch.  The resource packs are a cheap way to get that good starting point and get some flexibility beyond what you can get from the RTP (resources that come with the program).  Also, the resources are more than just art, you can get voices, music, sound effects, there are some good things for people who aren't a jack of all trades.

5. Yes, you can sell them!  Part of the draw of the resource packs is the ability to use them for this purpose.

5. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    1. Yes. It's very easy to learn. No programming skills needed. It does help that I've been messing around with RPG Maker for 14 years, but Ace is very different from the old ones, and it hasn't taken me too long to learn how to use it. The more difficult things will can be learned with practice and tutorials. I'm basically know nothing about the actual scripting (which is not something you need to work with, but it is fun to see the different effects and scripts out there), but through following instructions, I've been able to get everything I want working. With that being said, I think I'm going to be trying to learn the optional scripting language through these forums at some point soon.

2. You can play videos, and you can also use pictures and animations (not flash though).

3. You can do all of that if you have the resources. Shaz's answer covers this really well.

4. I have used the GCH before, and I really like it. Many, many of the resource packs are fantastic. I've bought several and I've been happy with all of them. The advantage with them is that you can use them for any game that you make in RPG Maker, and should you choose to, you can release that game commercially. I can also tell you, Sharm's Pixel Myth pack is amazing. Probably my favourite I've bought so far (not that the others aren't great either, because they are!)

5. Yes! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    Sharm likes this.
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) Yes, it is easy to learn - but that does not mean that you can master it in five minutes. It will take time and experience as with any other skill, but it will take less time than with a lot of other engines out there.

The other questions have been answered before, but I suggest you make your own opinion about it by using one of the trials - either the LITE (no time limit, but limits on the number of maps, items and so on) or the regular trial (full functions, but limited to 30 days).

You can also follow the link in my signature to learn more about the program and check the tutorials.

7. lauwer1000

lauwer1000 Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Wow thank you everyone for answering my questions :D I defiantly plan to buy the software soon and start creating my games. I'm glad that i can do alot with this software. I will be trying to put my animations into the game eventually for my animations i will be using anime studio pro 10 and i don't believe it's flash animation. (i don't know but i'll try it. i might be able to convert animations to a different format or something) I'm really getting into all of the computer art programs so i'm really exited to get this software. I probably am going to make a fan made game (kind of like a test run/practice) and then make my own games, with my own characters and a unique story plot.I am using the lite version to learn the basics so it will be easier to make my game (it will probably be like a month or two before i can get the full program anyway so i might as well learn it.) Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I have been on other programs forums and it takes like weeks to months for even one person to respond. So for me to have five people respond in less than 24 hours it really amazes me. This community seems to be really supportive of each other and i love that :D I love places where people support each other and don't ridicule others for asking questions. :D