Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello and good day to ya'll.

So while designing a prototype, I learned that when walking over a series of events, the encounter rate wont actually count down. While there are some roundabout ways of simulating random encounters while walking over a bunch of events, I wanted to ask to see if there is a way to still have the encounter rate still proceed as normal while walking over a line of events that trigger on player touch.

In a similar vein, is it possible to create a single parallel event that increments a variable once per tile you walk over while never re-triggering on tiles that have been previously walked over?

What I'm trying to do is have a line/row of collectables, and when you walk over a collectable, it increments a variable by 1 and then goes away, unable to be recollected (without at least refreshing the map). I feel like littering the editor with events where the event erases itself after incrementing the variable is not the best way to do it. Because the collectables are one time collectables only, when collected they're gone for the rest of the stage. I want random encounters to still occur like normal when collecting the items as well.

Thanks in advance.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker MV and MZ, at least, won't process random encounters when walking on events as you've discovered. I once developed a plugin to run a common event on every step and it totally killed random encounters. Not sure if it's a feature or a bug. I assume it's because events can be all sorts of things like transfers and such that could do weird things in certain situations if encounters still processed. The way I got around it is to run a script instead of a common event or even a normal event. I wrote a JavaScript function and called it instead of running common events. Not sure if you know anything about coding but I don't think that there's a way around it otherwise.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker MV and MZ, at least, won't process random encounters when walking on events as you've discovered. I once developed a plugin to run a common event on every step and it totally killed random encounters. Not sure if it's a feature or a bug. I assume it's because events can be all sorts of things like transfers and such that could do weird things in certain situations if encounters still processed. The way I got around it is to run a script instead of a common event or even a normal event. I wrote a JavaScript function and called it instead of running common events. Not sure if you know anything about coding but I don't think that there's a way around it otherwise.
I ended up with something like this:

c4682ffe3d.png

But this essentially gives me 2 different encounter rates more or less. The EXP Dots are littered on my map so when collecting them, without something like this, like you said no random encounters.

I'm sure I can get the same effect with a common event that runs/calls a script while being run parallel or something, but since the map is filled with these EXP Dots; I'm not sure how much trouble will be caused with a parallel event running a script.

That being said, considering how the map encounter rate system works and how this is basically a true random 5% chance of random encounter, the flow of random battles feels funny-ish to me tho not obviously wonky to any of my playtesters.

What do you think?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That'll work. I would recommend making two common events, though. One to collect an experience dot and the other to check for a random encounter. If these things are scattered all over your map, you don't want to have to update all of them if you make a change to your encounter rate, sound effect, etc.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wonder if anyone would be interested in free character art from me...
I remade/fixed my Elf XP Mack Templates. The Ears are looking better now.
Male Update.pngFemale Update.png
You can check them out, they are in 12 recolours, both Human and Elf Versions!
I'M BACK BABEY!!!
College is hitting me a lil' softer than I expected, so I'm back on MV!
And to kick things off, here's a lil' test of a tileset edit I made today! (Took me, like, 5 hours, considering this was the first time I've EVER used GraphicsGale...)Edit test SUCCESS.PNG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Basunat