Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am working on a plugin however i am unsure of how to go about a particular thing. I am trying to figure out how the game handles storing map data and loading it, as I want to add functionality to during runtime say...update a tile to become something else.
like;
1603906829921.png To this 1603906863016.png
but in runtime with something like; UpdateTile(TileID, posX, posY)

I just have no idea how to go about this due to the fact that i am quite unknowledged about how the engine handles maps datawise/updating the. Anyone have any knowledge about this kind of thing?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it's a full map, you can replicate the map + items and change tileset when a switch
is ON, if it's only a pool of clear water and tainted water, you can place a switch on those
alone.

there is no need for a plugin, unless it's for a more specific mechanic you have in mind.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are already some plugins for swapping tiles, you should download one of them and check how they're doing this.

two other resources that might help you are the tutorials about autotile construction (because they explain how the engine constructs the tile onscreen from the collection of up to twenty quartertiles that is the autotile), and tutorials about shift-mapping (because that also helps in understanding what is possible on the map and what not.

I don't have links to the plugins, but some of the tutorial links you can find in my "starting point" tutorial in my signature.

Poppie360

chocobo wrangler
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it's a full map, you can replicate the map + items and change tileset when a switch
is ON, if it's only a pool of clear water and tainted water, you can place a switch on those
alone.

there is no need for a plugin, unless it's for a more specific mechanic you have in mind.
No, i am talking about specifcally manipulating a tile, basically i want to create a plugin which allows for players to knock down a wall...as well as make procedural dungeons

I know at the least how maps are stored, a set of arrays containing the tile id and configuration.
as well as a list of events at the end.

My idea was to take the function that actually loads the map, give it the map stored in memory with a single tile changed, and that would be the function.

there are already some plugins for swapping tiles, you should download one of them and check how they're doing this.

two other resources that might help you are the tutorials about autotile construction (because they explain how the engine constructs the tile onscreen from the collection of up to twenty quartertiles that is the autotile), and tutorials about shift-mapping (because that also helps in understanding what is possible on the map and what not.

I don't have links to the plugins, but some of the tutorial links you can find in my "starting point" tutorial in my signature.
Well those might be good places to check, As stated above i am looking to actively edit the loaded map, I might have to see if there was anything that could be used for this in that one plugin that could load maps via file ratherthan the normal way of loading it...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As stated above i am looking to actively edit the loaded map,
that is what those tileswap plugins do as well - it is much more difficult to do something to mapfiles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parzival