Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know this is a British vs American thing, but let's throw that aside for now and imagine this in the context of a fantasy setting. Which spelling do you think would be the prevailing choice? I'm American btw, and would normally use "armor" in everyday language, but I'm almost leaning towards using "armour" (<-omg Grammarly is trying to auto-correct to "armor" lol) for my game. I'd like people's thoughts on this, especially if you're from the UK. ;)

Also, what do you Aussies and Kiwis use?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As non-native, I have no preference. But I'm used to "Armor".

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One less alphabet

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer to spell things correctly, so... armor.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
American here. My prefered spelling is "Armur".
It's the Armoire of Invincibility
Added these options to the poll for lawls.
I prefer to spell things correctly, so... armor.
Lol, the British would argue "armour" is correct while "armor" is incorrect. This is why the world thinks of Americans as closed-minded or pretentious. -.-

Edit: I also wanted to ask, how do you guys feel when you see Armor/Armour spelled the other way than what you're used to? Is it just "meh, w/e no biggie" or is it like "the developer is a dumbass and needs to lrn2spell"?

I've decided to use "Armour" when referring to the DEF stat and "Armor" when referring to equipment. I'm hoping this will appease a wider audience.

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would argue that that is why the world thinks of the British as closed-minded or pretentious. Because they refuse to acknowledge they can't spell... :kaoswt2:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'd use "Armour" as we were taught British English at school (though I'm sure some American words have sneaked into my vocabulary xD). Also, "armour" just feels more fanciful.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I was doing a bit of research on the matter just now. What I discovered is that mostly the reason why American English is different spelling is because of one man: Noah Webster.

When he was choosing which spellings to put into his dictionary, he basically chose the ones he preferred. From what I can tell, he mostly did not like so much French and Latin influence on the spelling of the words.

However, I also read that some of the newspapers in England are starting to use the American versions of some words in order to save paper space. Interesting.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I was doing a bit of research on the matter just now. What I discovered is that mostly the reason why American English is different spelling is because of one man: Noah Webster.

When he was choosing which spellings to put into his dictionary, he basically chose the ones he preferred. From what I can tell, he mostly did not like so much French and Latin influence on the spelling of the words.

However, I also read that some of the newspapers in England are starting to use the American versions of some words in order to save paper space. Interesting.
So we can blame a single person for creating such fuss? Cool - now all we need is time travel and set him straight xD

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Because they refuse to acknowledge they can't spell.
I do hope for your sake that that was meant as a (lame) joke.

What I have noticed about a number of games that use non-US English is that a significant number of players assume that the developer is lazy or illiterate, rather than realising that the world is a big place. In order to avoid this sort of negativity, I hold my nose and use US spelling, not only for armour/armor, but for everything, because I know that non-Americans can cope without throwing a hissy fit.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not only do I not use American spellings, I'll go out of my way to inject weird local sayings into my conversations that are incomprehensible to anyone outside of the county. It defeats the whole point of communication, but it makes me happy. xD

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hope this thread is not going to be who came first the egg or the chicken. It just different countries writting, but it means the same thing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?
Hopefully this gets fixed before release..
Where's this sudden heatwave come from? It's not even sunny, it's just hot. Hate it!
I'm slightly disappointed that the MZ codebase still uses core.js, managers.js, objects.js, scenes.js, sprites.js and windows.js instead of core/Bitmap.js, core/Graphics.js, managers/AudioManager.js, managers/DataManager.js, etc...
just a few more hours until the toughest, most pressure 72 hours of my life, wish me luck guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcamp10565