Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't care either way, as long as you're consistent with what you initially choose to go with.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't care either way, as long as you're consistent with what you initially choose to go with.
This right here. Spell it as arma (this is how I pronounce armour lol) if you want, just don't go flip-flopping between different spellings.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger, I do not think it is a problem. I think it is add uniqueness to the story. It is not a big jump like Celtic and Scott. The language borrows other languages alot if anyone looks in the dictionary.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer the tea that doesn't have a blood in it. I am just messing with you.
Oh gosh, my mother taught me for a few years in a private school. My first year in public school (grade 5) I learnt Canadians don't use the phrase bloody. I was bloody confused haha

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh gosh, my mother taught me for a few years in a private school. My first year in public school (grade 5) I learnt Canadians don't use the phrase bloody. I was bloody confused haha
Sounds like fun xD

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a shame Canadians don't share our lingo. Australians share a lot of our slang though, and I love 'em for it. xD

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Who used the correct English writing? The Anglo-Saxon tribes and the Jutes tribe. They are from Denmark and Germany. Read the history.:kaopride:
@Cythera, what people is a native speaker still confuse? Could you imagine people who do not speak English as the first language? So many slangs to learn to be a local.

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a shame Canadians don't share our lingo. Australians share a lot of our slang though, and I love 'em for it. xD
So true. I've been mistaken for Australian due to my accent. The differences in a single language due to regions is fascinating. Someone should start a general discussion thread where people share their phrases and words with different meanings.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cythera, ok if you are not start the thread, I will. I can learn thing or two and plus important for the dev to be understanding.

:LZSevil:I told you I am crazy. I am crazy to learn new things.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Who used the correct English writing? The Anglo-Saxon tribes and the Jutes tribe
Err, no they didn't, as they did not speak English which did not emerge as a distinct language for some centuries, and they certainly did not write it as almost everyone was illiterate. As for the spelling, that did not start to become fixed until the invention of printing, and even then it took a long time.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Err, no they didn't, as they did not speak English which did not emerge as a distinct language for some centuries, and they certainly did not write it as almost everyone was illiterate. As for the spelling, that did not start to become fixed until the invention of printing, and even then it took a long time.
This. I think people often forget how widespread illiteracy was back in the day. Imo, it should also be reflected in fantasy settings as well, since they are often based on middle ages era culture.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This. I think people often forget how widespread illiteracy was back in the day. Imo, it should also be reflected in fantasy settings as well, since they are often based on middle ages era culture.
Nope, screw that, teaching Henry to read in Kingdom Come was a complete time sink. Please don't ever make another game that makes me teach my character how to read...:kaomad2:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In one of my games almost everyone was illiterate - so no 'Inn' sign, for example, just a sign with a bed on it. And a very wealthy man had a massive library - 6 books! But I didn't make anyone learn to read.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would argue that that is why the world thinks of the British as closed-minded or pretentious. Because they refuse to acknowledge they can't spell... :kaoswt2:
To be fair, they *DID* invent the English language...

But also, its A-LOO-MINUM, not Al-OO-MINIUM.

Silly Brits, even your spelling of the word doesn't include an extra "I".

Weird thought: How effective do you think Aluminium Armour would be?

Last edited:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I think the issue is more "where are most of your players going to be from". The answer is USUALLY more english speaking players will be from north-america, and while Canada is used to both, and we usually have no issue with either, we are quite used to our big brother's (USA's) "Armor" in place of "Armour". :kaoslp:

Especially if you are releasing your game only on PC, as far as I am aware a larger percentage of the eastern continent's market is geared toward console and not PC, to the point where owning a good PC (let alone a pc) is quite rare in many places like Germany from what Germans I know have told me. Where in contrast it's quite a bit more common for PC owners to live in North-America probably making your audience mostly from the states/canada, where you'd be safer to use Armor.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nope, screw that, teaching Henry to read in Kingdom Come was a complete time sink. Please don't ever make another game that makes me teach my character how to read...:kaomad2:
That wasn't what I meant lol. The player character(s) should obviously be literate for gameplay reasons. I'm talking about the NPCs, world lore, culture, etc...

Do you think players would be confused if I consistently used "Armour" to refer to the DEF stat and "Armor" when referring to equipment?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do you think players would be confused if I consistently used "Armour" to refer to the DEF stat and "Armor" when referring to equipment?
Yes, or they would assume that you hadn't done all your proofreading. I think it has to be consistent.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In the US spelling it "armour" is every bit as wrong as spelling aluminum as "aluminium" (a UK word that I love, by the way). In fantasy settings (since many fantasy settings do resemble medieval England) it's not that jarring to see "armour", but in all other contexts, throwing it in front of my face will be just as jarring as an actual grammar mistake.
Best to give everyone words in their own local language if possible. If that would be too much work (it can be because adjusting menus, etc. can be hard), just use your own local language for everything, and that way at least you're guaranteed to have everything consistent instead of a weird mix of UK and US English.

Yes.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to the point where owning a good PC (let alone a pc) is quite rare in many places like Germany from what Germans I know have told me.
Uhm im from The Netherlands (right next to Germany) and the average household owns 2-3 pc's of witch 1 is usually dedicated to gaming according to the numbers. This was back in 2010 and i dont see it having declined since then so I dont know how true that statement is xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?
Hopefully this gets fixed before release..
Where's this sudden heatwave come from? It's not even sunny, it's just hot. Hate it!
I'm slightly disappointed that the MZ codebase still uses core.js, managers.js, objects.js, scenes.js, sprites.js and windows.js instead of core/Bitmap.js, core/Graphics.js, managers/AudioManager.js, managers/DataManager.js, etc...
just a few more hours until the toughest, most pressure 72 hours of my life, wish me luck guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcamp10565