Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in my current project, each character is allowed 2 actions on their turns: Bonus Action & Main Action. I'm looking for an alternative name for "Main Action", which feels somewhat plain. I was thinking "Primary Action" but it sounds/looks kind of long. Are there any other labels I can use for this skill type? Or should I just stick with Main Action?

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This might be a boring answer, but "Main Action" sounds a bit weird if you also have a bonus action. To just quickly throw in the dungeons & dragons terms, its "Action" and "Bonus Action". Is there a particular reason you want it to be called "Main Action"?

If you variation, I guess "Engage", "Maneuver" or "Exploit". Latter of course depending on the style of your game and character. Say the game was about a rouges exploits, as it's often used during and to brag about your tale / exploits. But that's what I can think of at the top of my head. Hope it was of some use at least.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This might be a boring answer, but "Main Action" sounds a bit weird if you also have a bonus action. To just quickly throw in the dungeons & dragons terms, its "Action" and "Bonus Action". Is there a particular reason you want it to be called "Main Action"?
That's actually why I made this thread... because I DON'T like the sound of "Main Action". That's why I'm seeking alternatives.

These "Main Actions" are the bulk of the game's skills/spells. They'll range from stuff like Fireball or Chain Lightning or Heavy Strike or Straight Shot or Shield Bash and many more. Basically, most of the direct damage skills are "Main Actions".

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Could "Strike" work? It has the same meaning as attack, or action, and it implies all forms of attacks I believe. Initially had "Cast" on my mind, but doesn't really go too well with melee.

Though "Strike" and "Attack" might be the more appropriate approaches as they have seen their fair share of use in games. Though may not a stand out word, they at least work, unless someone else comes by with a good idea :D

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did consider "Attack" early on, like a while ago, but "Attack" is being used by the normal attack skill. "Strike" is in the same boat as "Cast". Namely, it doesn't fit well for caster/spells in the same way that "Cast" doesn't feel right for melee. I'm looking for something that ends with the word "Action". So it should be "[Something] Action".

Edit: Also, "Strike" & "Attack" wouldn't work because direct Healing spells would also be considered a "Main Action". Should I just call it "Primary Action" then? I wish I could think of something better...

This is what I'm working with:
1611190860218.png

Last edited:

shockra

Slightly Crazy Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A possible alternative is to refer to the Main Action as simply "Action" and call the Bonus Action something else. How does a Bonus Action differ from a Main Action? I'm guessing that from the context, Bonus Actions are meant to setup the Main Action. In that case, the Bonus Action could be referred to as Prep or Setup.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about "Full Action" and "Free Action"?

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How does a Bonus Action differ from a Main Action?
Bonus Actions are usually Buffs or Stances or other Utility or miscellaneous skills that would otherwise feel like a "wasted turn" in a default battle system. E.g. Stone Skin, Brain Freeze, High Stance, Inner Fire, Storm Step, Charge, etc... They almost never deal any direct damage.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Based on the games I played or know that have a similar feature, I don't think many of them actually name the action. Instead, they tag the skill as "instant action". Meaning they will not end your turn. I'm also leaning toward not actually name the action.

If I'm going to name it or being forced to name it, I would use "Action" and "Instant Action". I don't think "Main Action" is that weird. But I do think "Bonus action" is the weird one. Because the word "Bonus" somehow has the meaning that you don't always have it. It is a "bonus", implying sometimes you don't have an extra action.

Edit
E.g,
- You equip an enchanted armor, you gain a "bonus action".
- You hit a critical damage or the element weaknes, you gain a "bonus action"
- You perfectly hit the QTE, you gain a "bonus action"

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that would just be "Action"
if feel absolutely necessary that it has a prefix name it would be a Standard Action, which is fine for describing it but from the players standpoint it just looks ridiculous.
every possible prefix would just look weird from the players viewpoint.
Main Action, Basic Action, Normal Action... none of it works visually, only for description purposes.
so would be best if just stuck with Action.
D&D recognizes this too. they give description prefix names to the primary action only when talking about specific skills (Dash Action, Attack Action) but when they list them in terms of "this is what you can do in a single turn" its just Action, Bonus Action, Free Action, Reaction

edit: i do think you should change "Assist" to "Support" though.
assist just sounds like "ill drop what im doing to help you" while support sounds more like "heres a buff/heal, but i still got my own s*** to deal with too"

(edit2: pointless discussion) as for the whole Instant Action vs Bonus Action.
Bonus Action is better for real time or actor turn based combat (ATB/wait combat systems)
while Instant Action is better for party turn based combat (pick all party members actions at same time)
they both describe the exact same thing. but in party turn based Bonus Action "could" also just sound like attack*100% trait (2 separate standard actions) to some silly people. obviously its not.

Last edited:

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because the word "Bonus" somehow has the meaning that you don't always have it.
That's actually why I went with "Bonus" because you don't have to use it every turn. It's there if you want to use it, but it's not mandatory.
if feel absolutely necessary that it has a prefix name it would be a Standard Action, which is fine for describing it but from the players standpoint it just looks ridiculous.
Hmm, "Standard Action" doesn't sound too bad... So I think I've narrowed it down to these 3:
  • Standard Action
  • Primary Action
  • Instant Action
However, "Instant Action" makes it sound like it has some kind of speed component when it actually has nothing to do with that. Or maybe I could rename "Bonus Action" -> "Instant Action". That sounds like a good fit. edit: I just realized that's what @TheoAllen suggested, thx! lol
edit: i do think you should change "Assist" to "Support" though.
That might be a good idea... these "Assist" skills are just Passives that affect adjacent allies. I got the term from a recent Indie Tactical RPG called Fae Tactics. In that game, units have something called "Assist" skill, which functions identically as mine. They're basically just passives that do something (usually beneficial, like a buff) to adjacent allies. Although, if I rename it to "Support"... it kind of sounds like being adjacent isn't emphasized enough. Cuz these Assist/Support skills only function when the user is standing next to at least 1 ally. I'll try it though and see how it looks...

Edit: Here's how it looks with everyone's suggestions! Thoughts?
(they won't actually have that many slots lol, that's simply for testing purposes)
1611207613045.png

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's actually why I went with "Bonus" because you don't have to use it every turn. It's there if you want to use it, but it's not mandatory.
However, your definition is more suitable for "Optional Action" rather than "Bonus Action". The difference is you already have and has an option to use/omit it. Meanwhile my definition of "Bonus Action" is you don't have it by default. Hence the term "Bonus".

By this definition, the "Main Action" in your definition might be THE bonus action. If you use a buff, you gain a "bonus action" to attack. Both types of skills are the main action, then only a few of them grant a "bonus action". Well, unless if this is your definition.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen Ok, I'm just going to remove the labels for now so I can clarify the 2 types of Actions:
  • Action A
    • mostly includes Buffs, Stances, Utility, Extra Movement, or Misc. skills
    • almost never deals direct dmg or healing
    • typically has a lesser impact
    • must be used before Action B, if the player wants to use this
    • can only use 1 of these Actions per turn
  • Action B
    • mostly "Bread 'n Butter" skills
    • usually deals direct dmg or healing
    • typically has a greater impact
    • these are the skills players will prefer using if this was a default battle system
    • user can no longer perform another action after using this (until next turn)
So generally, players will use Action A followed by Action B. However, they can also choose to just use Action B and skip Action A. This saves some resource cost if that's what they want to do. The player CANNOT use Action B before Action A. Only 1 of each Action can be performed per unit per turn. Movement can be done before, in between, or after Actions A & B. Unit ends their turn after performing Movement and Action B.

Given these descriptions, how should Action A & B be named?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ill refer back to my edit2 from earlier. Bonus Action, Instant Action both mean the same thing.
some people just silly

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, I'm just going to remove the labels for now so I can clarify the 2 types of Actions:
In case if it isn't clear, I already know what you mean. I just don't agree with the term "Bonus action" for action A and I'm fine with "Main Action" for action B.

I have already said that I would not name the action, and just tag some skill with [instant] in the description or something, indicating that it is an action A. If it has no tag, then it is an action B.

EDIT:
Edit: Here's how it looks with everyone's suggestions! Thoughts?
I missed this, sorry.
I would vote for Instant action if you need a certain character able to do action A for x times.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have already said that I would not name the action, and just tag some skill with [instant] in the description or something, indicating that it is an action A.

pretty sure only reason he has the different names is because of the equipping skills.
if wasnt using equip skills ya would just give a tag in the skill description.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have already said that I would not name the action, and just tag some skill with [instant] in the description or something, indicating that it is an action A. If it has no tag, then it is an action B.
But I can't just leave it blank for the skill slot menu:
SkillSlots.png
Btw, I really like how renaming Assist -> Support turned out, thx! ^.^

Good thing this is a pretty minor component that can be easily edited. Maybe I'll survey some testers and give them a couple of options:
  • Action A
    • Bonus Action
    • Instant Action
    • Minor Action
  • Action B
    • Main Action
    • Standard Action
    • Primary Action

Last edited:

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Major action and minor action are both options of reasonable choosing! Good day human.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But I can't just leave it blank for the skill slot menu:
I missed your screenshot, I have already posted my vote on that matter in my edited post.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
side note, anyone else think Duran just looks like @Frostorm older brother? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm on YouTube moderating for an America's Funniest Home Videos livestream. They love having me there and I know spam when I see it. Tonight I had to put 3 different people in time out due to them spamming random letters. Nobody else could chat with their messages in the way!
Mist_new.png
Some WIP of Mist's newest sprites! Tutorials are awesome and very useful!
The RPG Maker community really is the best. It's so wholesome, kind, and helpful, unlike other communities on the internet, Love all you guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bamionic