Quick question on Dual Wielding.

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by Tevi, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tevi

Tevi Fierce Demon Woof Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a small, quick question. Is there a way to limit weapons to specific weapon slots of Dual Wielding?
    E.G. Weapon One = Swords only for that specific character and Weapon Two = Guns only for that specific character?
    I know I've been posting a lot recently, I'm just bad at using RPG Maker-

2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Everybody is bad at using the engine when using it for the first time so do not worry about such a thing. However there is one thing I find unclear: what do you exactly mean?

Is your situation similar to the following one?
    E.g.
    You have two weapons: Dagger and Pistol, both of them can be used for dual-wielding purposes.
    You then have two actors: A and B - I suck at naming things.
    A can use Dagger-Dagger or Pistol-Dagger while B can use Dagger-Pistol or Pistol-Pistol.

If this is not what you want to achieve could you be more specific?

3. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  4. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think you mean to have a specific weapon for a specific actor? This is irrelevant of dual wielding.
    Each class or actor can be specified to use only a specific type of weapon. You just have to make that character only use guns. the other only use swords.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  5. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I haven't been on the forums in a bit, sorry for taking so long to respond.
    Okay, sorry for my terrible explanation, but what I meant was with Weapon 1 and Weapon 2, is there a way to make Weapon 1 only accept Sword type weapons and reject Gun type weapons, and Weapon 2 only accept Gun type weapons, rejecting Swords? (With a Specific Actor)
    The Hime's Equip Manager script wouldn't even load properly, I probably installed it wrong.
    Quick example- Basically for this actor ( Actor18 ) I want him to only be able to have guns (E.G the Pistol in the screenshot) in his second weapon slot, with him only being able to have swords in his main weapon slot. Both the Basic Sword and Pistol items have seperate weapon types.
    upload_2019-3-29_19-0-36.png
    However, I don't want him to be able to do this:
    upload_2019-3-29_19-2-59.png
    or the equivalent with the Guns.

Sorry again for the confusion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the shield solution-
    Other characters use shields, so I can't rename my Shield slot.

6. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If that is what is restraining you just name them "Main Hand" and "Off-Hand", that is a generic way of calling those slots so that you can put both shields and weapons

7. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That could work, but one unresolvable annoying thing about the shield solution is that the Guns will appear in Armours rather than in Weapons, and sadly I'm unable to just simply rename armours without it confusing at least somebody. I do appreciate the attempt to solve that issue though.

EDIT: Sorry for sounding so whiney by the way.. I'm terrible for that.

8. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Do not worry. Everything can be done. I would not like a solution that puts off-hand weapons in the same category as armors either - unless using a modified menu. The point is that if you do not want to do it this way you have to do it using a script. An easy solution would be to select usable (or unusable) weapon categories and show (respectively hide) them when a certain actor equip menu is selected.

That mens overwriting the draw_item method for that window but if you can achieve it with just a single method you should be fine. I would write that myself but I m from mobile and I cannot access the engine right now. As you can imagine this makes things quite hard to do.

9. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't really understand what you mean by the 'draw_item' method, and to be honest I'd rather not mess around with the base script, I don't know RGSS3 well enough, and I'll break something.

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tevi What I believe @Heirukichi is suggesting is not that you mess around with the base script - changing that is rarely good practice. If I have understood correctly, they are suggesting an additional small script which they appear to be offering to write for you.

As what you want cannot be done except with a script, I am moving this to RGSS3 Script Requests.

11. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I can write it for you but you have to wait for a couple of days. I will not have time to do it before tomorrow evening though (European Time).

EDIT: ninjed by @Kes

12. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That'd be a big help, thank you. I don't mind waiting a couple days, I can work on maps and things in the meanwhile. Once again, thanks, I'll be looking forward to it.

13. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tevi I did not forget about you, I have just been busy this weekend. However, here is the little script I made for you. In the end I had to edit more than just a single method and I decided to add a configuration module to it so that you can eventually use it in more than just one game.

You can find the full script here.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Ebanyle likes this.
  14. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I mean, my internet went down.. so.. doesn't really matter that you were busy a weekend. And thank you, I appreciate it. I'mma try figure out how to use it, and I'll make sure to give credit. Thanks again!
    EDIT: Works pretty well, don't know if it allows me to seal the dual weapon to only the dual weapon slot, but it's definitely a good solution. Thanks again! I've made sure to put credit to you.
    EDIT EDIT: for the purpose I gave (not the purpose I meant, but I didn't fully explain it properly again -.-), the script works perfectly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  15. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What do you mean?

16. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As in, the pistol can still be used in the first slot. But I am still very grateful, despite not knowing how (if it's even possible) to make that happen.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I only provided screenshots for swords, and said "The equivalent with guns" so.. sorry for not making that clear. I'm really good at confusing people.. ;-;

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  17. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As long as you properly set up the Config module it does exactly what you asked for (and it is tested).

18. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I never said it didn't do what I asked for, just saying. I'm pretty sure I clarified that I just incorrectly said it, and my screenshots only showed one part. I'm not at all saying you've done anything wrong, or that you are bad or anything of the sort. Quite the opposite actually, I'm insulting myself for not realising my mistake in my explanation.
    Unless I'm just being an idiot and it does in fact make it so I can limit a weapon to purely the dual wield slot and prevent it from going into the first weapon slot.
    Anyways, again, my bad. As I said, I still appreciate the script even if I either don't know how to use it properly, or I've explained it incorrectly.
    Sorry for being so much trouble.
    Editing again: When I say "I never said it didn't do what I asked for" I mean that I never said it didn't do what I explained was the issue, and it was due to my poor explanation that I still have a problem.

19. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're not being an idiot at all. In fact, that is something that is not implemented. I'll soon add that feature for you. It was my bad for not understanding what you were saying.

20. Tevi

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't explain it correctly, so was entirely my fault. Thanks for deciding to add it (whenever you do) and again, I'm willing to wait a little.
    Edit: Fixed speling mistakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.