Quick Time Events (R2 26/11)

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
It's all in the help file. Is there something in particular you don't understand?

Gabenslair

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's all in the help file. Is there something in particular you don't understand?
upload_2019-9-27_12-29-19.png
I think i got it under control now, on how to make skills have sequences now, but I do have a question and maybe more in the future as i get used to this plugin.

The above image shows me allocating a skill to a simple command (up), but what if i had two different qtes for two kinds of "martial art Skills". Say I had "Fire style" and "Ice style" as seperate skills and that fire's single inputs perform fire attacks and combo skills and ice does ice stuff. Do i input some sort of common event that makes the actor forget/learn these skills so that the 2 skills that both require a single "up" input won't clash against one another?

And these skills will only be avaliable to be used in combos if the actor knows them, even if they're in the "None" skill type correct? Just want to clear things up.

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I think that if an actor knows more than one spell with the same sequence he will use the first in the database order. I could be wrong and it could be the last one though. Depends on how I made the loop work abd I can't remember right now.

Yes, you'll have to make the actor learn and forget spells if you want more than one spell with the same sequence.

The rest is engine stuff: if an actor doesn't have access to a skill type the player will not be able to select the skill, yes.

Gabenslair

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think that if an actor knows more than one spell with the same sequence he will use the first in the database order. I could be wrong and it could be the last one though. Depends on how I made the loop work abd I can't remember right now.

Yes, you'll have to make the actor learn and forget spells if you want more than one spell with the same sequence.

The rest is engine stuff: if an actor doesn't have access to a skill type the player will not be able to select the skill, yes.
Thank you for clarifying this. That way i can help avoid any problems in the future.

surunime

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello im still cant figure out how to use free qte

im using this script on my 'cast skill' note :

<setup action>
eval: $gameMap.QTE(["free",1,"cancel"],300,[],true)
eval: $gameMap.castSkillMatch(user,target,7)
</setup action>
my fire skill use this <qteSeq:["down"]>
and my spark use <qteSeq:["up"]>

but it always cast skill 'cast' even if I press up or down, then it cast wait skill.
can you help me how this free skill work?

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
The actor will always cast the combo starter skill. There's no getting around this. Just don't let the player know this, use a break action after your qte calls.

The first thing that jumps to mind is this: Does the actor know skills "fire" and "spark"?
The script will only look for matches within the actor's known skills.

If that's not the case please show me a screenshot of all skills and actors.

surunime

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes actor already know the spark and fire skill sir, but still it doesn't cast spark and fire skill when i press up or down skill. If you not busy can i get working demo about this plugin sir? thanks before

Attachments

Last edited:

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
That screenshot doesn't help. I want to see the skills and actors, to see if you've set up things incorrectly.
I don't have a demo on hand.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any particular reason why this plugin doesn't support X, Y, LB and RB (shift,menu, pageup and pagedown)? How easy would it be to modify it to support these buttons? I'm wanting to use the rhythm mode, but only have the directional buttons and A/B severely limits my ability to create varied and interesting challenges.

Edit: I'm having trouble getting this plugin to even run. This is the script call I'm using, but it's not running at all even though I've double checked the syntax multiple times now:

JavaScript:
var seq = [["ok",30],["no",30],["ok",30],["no",30],["ok",30],["no",120],["menu",30],["no",240],["cancel",30],["no",30],["cancel",30],["no",1200],["shift",30],["no",60],["shift",30],["no",60],["shift",30],["no",180],["up",30],["no",30],["up",30],["no",30],["down",30],["no",30],["up",30],["no",30],["left",30],["no",60],["right",30],["no",600],["right",30],["no",60],["ok",30],["no",30],["shift",30],["no",60],["ok",30],["no",240]]
$gameMap.QTE(["rythm",1],3600,seq,true,11,360,0,12,38,false,no)

Last edited:

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I didn't need it when I made that plugin so I didn't put it in. Same reason as to why it doesn't accept key remapping. It was one of my first big projects.

You gotta have a process when debugging. You just can't say "my syntax is good" and not try options one at a time until you see which one doesn't work.
I didn't catch it until I tried your script call options one by one too: your last option showTime = the mode to show time, "number", "gauge", "both" or "no"
It has to be "no" not just no.
Then your script call works, but your width and height is not enough and almost nothing shows. That's due to the border automatically added when creating windows and not something I can change.

Your sequence however allowed me to catch what may be the first bug reported that's not misuse or conflict, and that's that the escape key is bugged and will close the QTE no matter what. I must not have been thourough in my testing when I wrote like three years ago...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the reply. In hindsight, I should have realized that the final option should have quotations since the option asks for a string. That's on me.

As for height and width, that's also on me. I missed the part where the width is number of icons * 48 + 20.

Now that I've gotten my apologies for being an idiot out of the way, some things I've noticed now that I've actually got it working.

-The rhythm mode doesn't seem to have an indicator of when you should press the button. Maybe a little triangle pointer on the left side of the box? Or some sort of shading on that end to give the player a visual representation of the time frame in which they need to press it? Right now, there's really no feedback for timing other than the width of the button box and it going off the edge of the window.

-The rhythm mode seems to be ignoring the icon array? It's drawing the buttons as text. I did modify the icon array, but unless I missed a hardcoded length somewhere, I can't find any reason it's not drawing the icons. Using all of the the actual buttons in the QTE works (I'm using a controller to test, as that's my intended input method for the game), it's just that the icons aren't drawing.

Annotation 2019-12-23 023010.jpg

JavaScript:
Window_QTE.prototype.getIconIndex = function(string) {
    var iconar = eval(PluginManager.parameters('QTEWindow').IconArray);
    switch (string) {
        case "ok":
            return iconar[0];
            break;
        case "cancel":
            return iconar[1];
            break;
        case "shift":
            return iconar[2];
            break;
        case "menu":
            return iconar[3];
            break;
        case "pageup":
            return iconar[4];
            break;
        case "pagedown":
            return iconar[5];
            break;
        case "up":
            return iconar[6];
            break;
        case "down":
            return iconar[7];
            break;
        case "left":
            return iconar[8];
            break;
        case "right":
            return iconar[9];
            break;
        default:
            return 0;
            break;
    }
}
Annotation 2019-12-23 023224.jpg

-Even after fixing the last option to "no", the rhythm mode is still drawing the gauge timer underneath. Setting the timer parameter in the plugin options fixes this, so it seems that the rhythm option is ignoring that last option? I changed it to "no" like you said.

Here's the new call:

JavaScript:
$gameMap.QTE(["rythm",1],3570,seq,true,110,360,0,10,100,false,"no")
-Even after setting fail to false, a rhythm QTE can still fail if you miss a button press. Maybe this is intended, but it's not clear in the documentation that the rhythm QTE mode overrides this behavior.

-Finally, there's a typo in the plugin parameters: The default fail text is "Wrong input ot time ran out." Not super important, but hey.

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
The rythm mode doesn't take icons and that's the way I've made it.
It's the only way I found at the time to have it possible to have different input length. Because stretching icons wouldn't be aesthetically possible.
The input are made to look like boxes so that the players knows they can press things while the box is disappearing. That's also why there isn't any indicator.

I don't think rythm QTE should close if you miss an input if fail is false, but the end result will be failure.
Basically if you set it so that the player cannot fail, the QTE won't close on a wrong note, but the end result will still be failure, the end result is success only if the player has gotten all input right. I don't think this is written in the documentation...

The rythm display should definitely take "no" as an option in the script call. This should be an easy fix, I'll look into it.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay. Then it seems that the QTE is closing because I have a conditional set to show certain text if the result is a failure, which your system instantly does when a button is missed or gotten wrong. I was under the impression the QTE didn't return failure until the entire QTE completed.

This might be too much of an ask without monetary compensation, but would it be possible to add an option to allow for customizing how many button misses/incorrect buttons happen before failure is declared? As in, if you set that option to "3", the script doesn't return failure until the player either misses or gets incorrect a total of 3 buttons?

Edit: Also, regarding the stretching of icons. This is probably a fair amount of work, but having the player provide custom icon parts would work. For instance, for each button, have the player provide art for the left end, middle and right end. The middle is just repeated for the duration of the length before being automatically capped off by the right end. Since there are 10 possible buttons, just have the plugin look for img/QTEWindow/1_left.png, 1_middle.png, 1_right.png, 2_left.png etc.

Last edited:

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had a quick question actually... I've basically figured out how to use this exactly the way I wanted, except... I was wondering. Is there a way to stop a $gameMap.trySequence mid sequence so to speak? like I've run into a weird issue where the enemy is dead but my actor will keep performing any moves left in the sequence that they haven't done. I take it that's more on the Action Sequence tho than this plugin tho right? If so, I'll keep trying to find some way to get it to stop.

EDIT: I figured out a way to stop the actual attack. tho if there's a way to stop the sequence as a whole, is it possible with this plugin or would I still need action sequences to do it? I used ($gameTroop.aliveMembers().length to basically say if no one's alive, break the action, but I was wondering if you could just stop this plugin from wanting to keep the rest of the moves cued up if the enemies are all dead.

Last edited:

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yeah, it forces actions to proceed until they are all done.

It will go on my list of things to look at, but it's gonna be a while until I actually do something about it. Sorry, I'm just super busy.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahh ok, that's fine. no worries! I actually have a good enough work around right now that I think it'll work out. Thankfully action sequences are very varied in application so you can kind of get around this in a few ways.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First of all, thank you so much for this excellent plugin. I've been looking for something like this for ages, but what you've put together exceeds anything I could have dreamed of.

I noticed, unfortunately, that free QTEs simply don't activate if Yanfly's CTB is enabled. The "casting" skill executes as normal, but nothing else happens. I was wondering if there might be an easy tweak to the script calls/plugin parameters that might fix that--or do you think it's a straight up compatibility issue?

In any event, thanks so much for everything.

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
If they do activate without ctb and don't with, then yes it's a compatibility issue.
I am unlikely to fix it, as ctb is unsupported by yanfly themselves and I don't use it personnaly.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi mate, when I'm comboing skills during battle my min inputs doesn't seem to update.

Hard to explain but stick with me.
My first skill is 1 input, 1 min, 1 max. This works fine calls a common event that loads my 2nd turn which is 2 inputs set to 2 min and 2 max.
The problem is my spw doesn't update properly and shows all my 1 input skills from earlier and only 1 of my new 2 input skills. Is there a way I can set it to remove the 1 input skills from the window and only show the 2 inputs.
When I go from 2 input skills to 3 input skills via a new common event, 3 of my 1 input skills show, none of my 2 inputs and 1 of my 3 input skills.one_optimized.png
2_optimized.png3.PNG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm a bit conflicted. One the one hand, it's quite visually cool to make bodies of water that the player can interact with by going into it. However obscuring the player character from a gameplay perspective is pretty bad. Hmm... There's the option to make the area around the player visible, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of submerging them. :unsure:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Another two plugins done! One being an on map grid inventory.
busy with my newborn child, can't even touch pc at all ;_;
Make a Game in RPG Maker MZ: Episode 6 Starts NOW! Let's map some caves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lavos