Quicksave Anywhere Function (That can't overwrite Save Points files)

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm in need of a plugin that functions as follows:
  • Upon saving at a save point, the game brings up the save menu that RPG Maker MV uses by default.
  • Upon saving from the save option in the menu, the game saves to a "reserved" save file. This save file may be overwritten by saving the normal way, but the reserved save file cannot overwrite a normal save.
  • On the game start menu, add an option that loads the quicksave.
index.php

If anyone could help me find or make a plugin that does this, I'd really appreciate it.

I want my project to have two separate ways of saving that have different properties:

Bookmark Saving: The default save system, accessed either from events that have the "Open Save Processing" command or by using the "Save" option from the game's pause menu. I want my project to continue using this system whenever a "Open Save Processing" command comes up (EDIT: But not when saving from the "Save" option in the game's pause menu).
EDIT: Bookmark Saving: I want my project to continue to use the default save system whenever a "Open Save Processing" command comes up.

Reserved Saving (otherwise known as a quicksave): When the player uses the "Save" option from the game's pause menu to save, I want the game to instead save this in its own reserved file. I want this file to be unable to overwrite the Bookmark Saves, and to be automatically overwritten the next time the player uses the "Save" option. Furthermore, I want the player to be limited to 1 Reserved save at any given time. The only way to load a Reserved Save is to select the "Continue" option at the game's start menu instead of the "Select Save File" option.

What plugin(s) will I need to achieve this?

Attachments

• Quicksave Vs Regular.png
    Quicksave Vs Regular.png
    641.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might need to re-read your post.

You just said you want the Save from the pause menu to do the bookmark saving, AND you want the Save from the pause menu to do the reserved saving and not to overwrite any of the bookmark saves.

And if the Continue option from the start menu (I assume you mean title screen) opens the reserved save, then how does the player load the other saves, given that that's the only way to open a save file?

In any case, you will need a plugin.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much for the quick reply!

You might need to re-read your post.

You just said you want the Save from the pause menu to do the bookmark saving, AND you want the Save from the pause menu to do the reserved saving and not to overwrite any of the bookmark saves.

Whoops. Hopefully the Edit I've added clarifies things somewhat.

And if the Continue option from the start menu (I assume you mean title screen) opens the reserved save, then how does the player load the other saves, given that that's the only way to open a save file?

clarify.png
The "Continue" button would load the Reserved File, while the "Load Game" button would bring up the menu that "Continue" usually brings up.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you want a new option on the title screen as well?

And you are still contradicting yourself:

Bookmark Saving: The default save system, accessed either from events that have the "Open Save Processing" command or by using the "Save" option from the game's pause menu. I want my project to continue using this system whenever a "Open Save Processing" command comes up (EDIT: But not when saving from the "Save" option in the game's pause menu).

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So... from what I got you want to be able to make save points, but also want the save menu to let you do a quick save?

I think the part Shaz is having the problem is with you first saying you want your Bookmark Saving to be useable through both a plugin command or through the menu's save... then right afterwards you say you do not want it to be useable through the menu's save?
then to use the menu option for a quicksave instead.

I'll be honest, I don't know of any already-made plugin to do this. If anyone does, please tell.
Been thinking of making one for my personal use though, maybe I could release it public after it is done...

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are plugins for save and autosaves, autosaves cant be be rewritten unless you
change so in the params.

there are 3 plugins that I know off, but it require an autosave plugin as well.
but if you dont mean autosave plugin, than you probably need to alter a bit
to fit your needs.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you want a new option on the title screen as well?

Yes, but I'm not sure if I'll need a seperate thread for that.

And you are still contradicting yourself:

Darn. Tried to fix one last time for clarification.

So... from what I got you want to be able to make save points, but also want the save menu to let you do a quick save?

Yeah this.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm still having no luck in finding a "quicksave" plugin of any kind for MV.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping with re-written OP. I have googled and searched this site to find nothing.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really? No one made a quick temporary save plugin or anything of the sort yet?
So many big games have something like this, the lack of one is surprising... I'd thought of making it myself, but the whole covid thing made me go back to my parents house, and then I slowly got a depression relapse.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
here is the plugin AES_AutoSave it's 1 of the 3 but this one is the smallest.
you can use it as quicksave or however you want to use it.

it locks the autosave slot which cant be overwritten.
but upon a new game, this autosave slot will be OVERWRITTEN, unless you can modify
it doesn't for each slot.

but there are a couple of autosaves.

I use a bit better version, but it can also modify the full save scene as well, but the save slot
cant be locked by than.

you can save it manually, but also save over the accessed saveslot.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
here is the plugin AES_AutoSave it's 1 of the 3 but this one is the smallest.
you can use it as quicksave or however you want to use it.

it locks the autosave slot which cant be overwritten.
but upon a new game, this autosave slot will be OVERWRITTEN, unless you can modify
it doesn't for each slot.

but there are a couple of autosaves.

I use a bit better version, but it can also modify the full save scene as well, but the save slot
cant be locked by than.

you can save it manually, but also save over the accessed saveslot.

This seems like it could work, but I'd need to find a way to get the "save" option in the main menu to direct to the auto save, rather than the save processing menu.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
bumping again because i still need help with this btw. :/

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so basicly, you want save point (to autosave) than the menu command "save"
when selected does the exact same thing?

if so, you can modify how save is handled.
instead it call "(SceneManager.push(Scene_Load)", you can make it return
to the autosave function (if imported), else it goes to the save scene (failsafe)
so it might work.

to busy here to make that hapen though, might not be to difficult to do it on your own.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so basicly, you want save point (to autosave) than the menu command "save"
when selected does the exact same thing?

I want save points to bring up the save slots menu (which is what RPG Maker MV does by default), while the save command in the pause menu saves to not do that, and instead save to a dedicated slot that can't overwrite saves on the save slots menu.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i am once again asking for your financial support bumping this thread.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping thread again. I am the entire circus.

If someone is already in the process of making the plugin and simply hasn't finished due to my impatience getting in their way ;_;... can i get, like, a wink? or an @? plz? :kaocry:

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do have plans for a similar plugin, pretty sure among the plans are all you asked, but there is a line in front of them.
Currently adapting my item crafting plugin for a more optimized code that I hope will make it and all my subsequent codes better. So unfortunately cannot give you a timeline.

I'm kinda surprised no one else did this first somewhere though.

phteven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Quicksave.js

Just add this to your plugins folder and enable it. I got too lazy to figure out how to prevent the user from saving over the file, but that wasn't a requirement. I'll look into it later and let you know if I figure it out.
If you run into any issues just let me know and I'll fix them.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.
A lot to learn to make a game. Can I handle it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirbyslasher