Quincy and Amber: Quest to Autumn

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by C-C-C-Cashmere, Nov 10, 2013.

1. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Summary

Quincy and Amber is a co-operative puzzle adventure game that can be experienced either by yourself or with a friend. Explore a large non-linear world of locations, each one filled with puzzles meticulously crafted to provide a formidable yet satisfying set of challenges. Work in co-operation with each other to overcome obstacles. Find the Fall Festival and finish the game.

Excited yet?

Concept of the game

Quincy and Amber is divided into several locations that teach you a sort of "puzzle language". By that I mean that each location of puzzles is designed to teach you concepts that become useful in the way you approach other puzzles. For instance you might reach a puzzle in a location that you might find quite difficult to solve just because the game hasn't taught you the relevant concept yet. Conversely, when you are taught that puzzle concept in a different location of the game you can then come back to the location you were previously stuck at and think, "Wow, I actually know how to do this now", even if beforehand you may have considered the puzzle near impossible to solve. The game is trying to teach you a "language" of puzzle logic inside of this non-linear setting. The interesting thing about the puzzle logic is that it serves as a kind of locking mechanism to prevent you from accessing areas that break the story progression. This enables the game to have a completely non-linear setting while the only keys to unlock doors in the game are in your mind.

The cooperative aspect of the game is handled so that both single player and multiplayer mode are enjoyable. Some puzzles benefit from real-time cooperation between two players in order to succeed. Conversely, there are puzzles that are also designed to be easier in single-player, similar to tying your own shoelaces being easier than having two people tie your shoes for you while each hold one shoelace.

Story synopsis

Quincy and Amber Forsh's parents ran to the hills when the Morg Raiders attacked. So for years the Forsh siblings garnered a self-sufficient living by doing errands for people around Miria and accepting regular food donations from the kind townspeople. It was a town that cared.

As the Morg attacks became more frequent, Mirian population dropped, and the Forsh way of living quickly became unprofitable. Starving and lonely, Quincy and Amber decide to emigrate to nearby Dower at the peak of the fall festival. They don't know what waits in store...

Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Demo download

Click here to download

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. KrazENooB

KrazENooB Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    How is this coming along?

3. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for being interested.

I'm making more puzzles. A second cave location where you have to step on all the dots to open a gate. It's pretty nice.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  4. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    This looks really interesting! :) I also like the visual concept (if that is the proper term). Looking forward to a full version!

5. dragonborn99

dragonborn99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Australian
    This looks like an interesting game!

6. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Puzzles that teach you how to do other puzzles.  That does peak my interest.  I'm not sure how it would be executed.

I will definitely want to see how that concept and mechanic develops.  

How exactly will a puzzle teach you to do a later puzzle without the player guessing or brute forcing their way through more advanced puzzles?

7. Epix

Epix Silly Wierd Boy and Game Creator Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    Looks really nice! :)

8. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dalph demands more visibility to this game, I mean...how can you not love it?
    Awesome and clever puzzles, good mapping and the possibility to control two characters at the same time, I can finally die happy now.

I'm really looking forward for the expanded version. :)

Susan and C-C-C-Cashmere like this.
  9. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for your very kind words. This game is one of my pet projects where I can just have fun making the best type of puzzles I want to! ^_^ Glad you liked it.

More coming soon. Definitely.

10. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nice :D Completed and its fun :D Looking forward for more :D

11. 5ynical

5ynical Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Let me just say that I've had an idea very similar to this, never felt I could execute it, or any other kind of puzzle-driven game for that matter, but you did a fantastic job!

Such a simple game and puzzle concept that has a lot of heart and soul in it!

The story is nice and basic, the concept is greatly executed, very straight-forward atmosphere, and it made me smile whenever I completed a puzzle.

...If I may admit, this is my absolute favorite little RPG Maker game that I've played. ;_; *replays uncontrollably*

The demo is metaphorically similar to Portal 1 if you will, and what is in store next will be even better as a Portal 2! ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    C-C-C-Cashmere likes this.
  12. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Thanks 5ynical and M_Michael; your words are encouraging. The next area has my favourite puzzle so far, and I've already sketched out a few locations on paper. I've been busy with other projects, but soon this will be my main project. It's the one I enjoy working on the most. :)

Marsigne likes this.
  13. Jory4001

Jory4001 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Downloaded.

Played.

Enjoyed.

You have created quite a nice and unique game, love the double person controls.

14. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey, can you tell us an update or something? :) I like playing co-operative with my brother, and with this and my other brother other co-operative games, I remember passing the game completedly (co-op), and it's fun :)

By the way, can I translate the game to my native language? There isn't much dialog or such but translating it makes other people from other language play the game and understand it :)

Here is a video of me and my brother in a few tries with him (about 10) and then making this video, we made it in about 2 mins with lots of errors but still :)

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/michaelbrutal1/media/QuincyandAmberaround2minutes_zps3a2d8272.mp4.html

EDIT: (11:54AM submitting edit, 64 minutes later, passed lots of time on uploding & idling)

another one :)

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/michaelbrutal1/media/QuincyandAmber_zps9b924cee.mp4.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  15. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Hey M_Michael

I'm glad you and your brother are such fans of the game. If you're my only fans, I'm proud already.

I should be able to get someone to translate it to Spanish. I didn't think about that before. Thanks for the suggestion!

I appreciate that you uploaded the videos and they give me encouragement to continue this project. I haven't done much progress for a while, because of exams, but after exams are finished I should be able to produce many more levels like this one.

Again, thank you for your encouraging words. The video speaks to me. I think it's awesome that you guys get to spend this time together playing my game. It's more than I could have asked for. I'll be sure to make more levels!

Thank you
    Benny

~~~

Edit: Here are some screenshots for now of the little progress that I have made. I will focus my energy on this project now, since I have drive to complete it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    Marsigne and Dalph like this.
  16. David Bergström

David Bergström Death Arcana follower. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey thatbenny guy,

I just downloaded you game and want to say that I think it's a fantastic game! It reminds me a little of Artbane's 'Labyrinthine Dreams' - another puzzle game made with RPG Maker VX Ace - which is one of my favourite games made on the engine.This game is sizing up to be a very close second, and from what I can see of the screenshots and the demo, it looks fantastic.

The atmosphere of the game is really immersive, it's kinda tranquil and very pretty, but is also a little surreal and unsettling (I think that's from reading the synopsis of the story), so you have the atmosphere of the experience in spades.

Graphics wise, you have used the RTP really well, the marginal colour edits and such has breathed new life into the tiles.

Gameplay wise, I really like the dual control, it's intuitive and a great deal of fun. In regards to the puzzles, you took a simple concept, and put it in a more detailed setting, and the result is a familiar but high quality puzzle experience.

Advice for the future?
    From a gamer point of view, I would suggest maybe thinking about adding in some sort of really easy 'tutorial' puzzle which explains controls etc. I'm only suggesting that because it would open up your game's potential audience to a far wider range of people, and would include people who aren't familiar / well versed in the puzzle genre.

All in all, keep up the great work, this is a stellar game and you should be proud. :D

10/10 would play again

10/10 would suggest to friends

~David

17. Zevia

Zevia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know it's a bit delayed, but I finally got around to doing a LP of Quincy and Amber with my co-player. You can find the video over at this thread. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/25194-zevias-lets-play/

My review is in the spoiler below.

So Quincy and Amber is a demo of the game that's only about 15 minutes long. At the end, the player is told there will be 500% more puzzles and "an actual storyline," so I'm just going to assume that the dialogue and story is placeholder and isn't really designed for much comment. There's no combat, items, or databasing to discuss, and there are only two pieces of music, one of which is part of the RTP.

What there is, however, are some small but well-detailed maps set in a forested location, a pleasant background piece of music, and, at the heart of the game, a cooperative puzzle. Anyone who played Portal 2 will be very familiar with the basic idea at each screen - get both players from the start to the finish. In fact, even even the primary mechanic of each puzzle, which is that one person stands on a button which lowers a wall for another person to pass through so that they can, in turn, stand on a button to lower the appropriate wall for the other person, plays quite similarly to some of the more basic puzzles in Portal 2, as well.

The puzzles are pretty simple, but they work well for a two-player environment - most of the time, the pattern for who needs to stand where and in what order is generally pretty obvious, but this is what would presumably be the beginning of the game, so it's a good introduction to the way the rest of the game would probably play out. If the two-person dynamic expanded to something more complex, it would be a lot of fun for two players - but potentially a little schizophrenic for a single person trying to control both if they have to do two different things at the same time. I'd be curious to see where the rest of the puzzles in the game would go.

Being able to control two characters simultaneously is a very cool feature that I haven't seen in any other RM games, so I was pleased to see that it worked out so well. I never felt like it was just a gimmicky one-player game, it played and genuinely controlled like it was ready for two players.

There were a couple small issues. At the title screen, the game is called "Quincy and Esther," even though the actual download is called Quincy and Amber and, in game, the little sister is named Amber. Presumably Esther was an earlier name that was changed, but it's strange to see it emblazoned across the opening menu. The other thing is, on the docks puzzle, the single-square dock pieces make it look as if the character is walking in front of a backdrop of docks instead of actually on the planks. It's a little odd.

Other than that, there really isn't too much to say - it's a fun little demo that won't take much time to play through, and for what it is, it's well-executed. Both my partner and I were interested in having more puzzles to play through and will certainly be checking back in with the game as it continues its development.

18. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    Thanks you guys. Your playthrough was really funny. I hope to get Quincy and Amber updated sometime in the future. Schoolwork stinks. I wish I had less schoolwork so I could focus on this game more. Thanks for your patience, but believe that this will be expanded one day, even if it is not particularly soon. Apologies for the delay! I appreciate all of your messages greatly.

19. David Bergström

David Bergström Death Arcana follower. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll look forward to that, Benny! :D

When the time comes to release your game, I'd be happy to host it on our site (if you're willing to make it a free game, that is)!

Keep up the great work, it really is a lovely game! :)

20. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's Play: 

Overall competent gameplay, but very short and lacks any story that I can see or context. Feels very abrupt and sorta pointless.