rabbitMap - A minimap plugin for MZ (and MV) (Discontinued)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Okuro I attach the plugin to change it to "pictures" folder,
even if you place it there, along with the others, I dont think
it make any difference, you could also check if "map069" exist
and that it isn't named "Map069" or "map69" as it reads the
MapID which should match.

you could try if it makes any difference, but I dont give you
much hope, because I think more how you packed the XCode
of the game.

Attachments

• rabbitMap.js
    17 KB · Views: 4

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone! It has been a while. I came across this plugin and have done my absolute best to figure this out, but nothing I do seems to work. I am using RPGMaker MV.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the 989-992 IDs in the options, but I could be wrong. Here's what I have done so far:

1) Made a new folder in the project's img folder called "maps", and I put everything in there. The .js file is in the plugins folder.

2) I saved a map from the editor (map069.png) and moved it to the map folder. I made a switch with the name of ShowMiniMapSwitch, which is #151, and I am pointing to it in the plugins settings. The map I am using to test it has a parallel event turning the switch on.

3) Added a notetag in the maps settings of: <rabbitMap: Map069, 100, 100>
I have tried the same thing with a scale of 50, 50.

Here's my settings in the plugin:

1234.png

I would be super grateful if anyone can help me with this. Thank you. :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kylos if you have the demo, is everything correctly set?

keep in mind that "map069" doesn't match the notetag: <rabbitMap: Map069,50,50>

make sure your imagefile is also "Map069" with a capital M.

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey @ShadowDragon I greatly appreciate you lending support for rabbitMap in my absence.
I've made a note that the plugin in no longer in development. Got too much on my plate, and frankly there are better ones out there which I am using instead, now that I'm back to some limited game development.

@kylos as ShadowDragon pointed out: file names ARE case sensitive. So check that first.
It is possible that the picture IDs are causing a problem, but they shouldn't. The plugin bumps the picture ID limit to 1000. However, in case that isn't working for some reason, you can try changing your picture IDs to be less than 100. So use 89-92 instead of 989 to 992.

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you Poorrabbit. The file and the notetag are correct. I noticed in the plugins description that it shouldn't matter what the IDs are, but when the originals didn't work I tried the 89-92 method, but it's still not working. I can give a more detailed description with screenshots if it's not something simple I've overlooked.

Something I wondered was whether the pictures to create the outline of the mini-map shape should be in the maps folder, or the pictures folder. I have them in both to be sure.

Also, I'm not using the demo. Would it make more sense to use the demo with MV? Is the standard download only for MZ? Also, does it matter which version of MV I am using? Cheers for the help.

Last edited:

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The maps and the mask/outline files should be in the same place (the img/maps directory - unless you're using ShadowDragon's edit).

I would totally give the MV demo a try.

Haven't touched this in a loooong time. But I did just pop open the demo with the current version of MV and it does seem to work fine.

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Tried the demo just now and it isn't working, so it must be something to do with the version of my maker. Never got around to updating it. Can't be a plugin issue. I'll get updated and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Tried it. The demo works on 1.6.1, but my project does not work because it won't recognize any of the Ocram or Map zoom plugins. When I turn those off, the game turns on, but whenever I turn the mini map switch on it crashes with an error, so I'm lost at this point.

My game can't have diagonal movement and if that's necessary, then this plugin won't work in my project. It could be conflicting with other Yanfly plugins, of which I have several (but not the common events picture one). I'll see what I can turn off and if I find a way around it I'll let you know.

Edit2: Turned off all plugins except the RabbitMap. The Ocram and Map zoom plugins still crash on startup. Interesting that it's only doing this on the BlackCircleRing. Tried changing the object in the settings, but got the same result. Going to see what happens if I turn the other plugins off in the demo... None of the other plugins in the demo are necessary to bring the map up, although the movement in the mini-map seems jittery.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    225 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The other plugins are just there for flavor.

The ONLY plugin needed for rabbitMap is rabbitMap.

It can be jittery, the option which fixes that is the MapScrollSpeed parameter.
Try a setting of 5 in MV. That improves things drastically on my side. You might need to bump it
up or down a couple, it kind of depends on overall plugin/lag load.

You might also try resetting the image files for the ring and the mask. When getting loaded and reloaded, plugins config can occasionally lose/gain wrong info.

The other possibility, based on the error message is that something is getting in the way of parsing the file PATH. Try moving rabbitMap to either the TOP or the BOTTOM of your load order.

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Tried it at the top and bottom of the order. I think the issue here likely lies in the fact the game began in 1.3.4 and the core files can't handle it. I tried playing the game in 1.6.1 with an updated core file and the game wouldn't start, so that's not an option.

I'd like to test the whole game in 1.6.1 to see if anything is broken. It would be cool to play it on the updated software, but getting the core of the game itself updated to handle this is highly unlikely. To see if I could work around this, I made a new project and moved the game files over, but it didn't work for some reason. Also yes, I have been testing this on a new game and not on a loaded one.

This is likely why it won't handle Ocram or the other plugins, not because the software isn't updated, but because the game itself is too old. Had I started it from scratch in 1.6.1 then it'd be no problem. That's what I'm guessing anyway. Unless there's an obvious thing I'm missing here then I can live without a mini-map. Wanted to surprise my nephew with a quality of life update, but we've played this game on and off without it for six years, lol.

Edit: I saw another thread saying one of the plugins was directing the game toward the img/pictures folder all the time even when disabled. They managed to fix it by getting rid of Yanfly's Battle Cursor completely out of the plugins folder. I tried the same thing with every plugin I have except Rabbit Map and it was still doing it. I've spent a few too many hours on this, but it was worth trying. Thanks for the tips :) I'll definitely consider this if I ever make a new project in MV.

Last edited:

Belegorad

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Tried the demo just now and it isn't working, so it must be something to do with the version of my maker. Never got around to updating it. Can't be a plugin issue. I'll get updated and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Tried it. The demo works on 1.6.1, but my project does not work because it won't recognize any of the Ocram or Map zoom plugins. When I turn those off, the game turns on, but whenever I turn the mini map switch on it crashes with an error, so I'm lost at this point.
Edit: I saw another thread saying one of the plugins was directing the game toward the img/pictures folder all the time even when disabled. They managed to fix it by getting rid of Yanfly's Battle Cursor completely out of the plugins folder. I tried the same thing with every plugin I have except Rabbit Map and it was still doing it. I've spent a few too many hours on this, but it was worth trying. Thanks for the tips :) I'll definitely consider this if I ever make a new project in MV.
Looking at the screencap of your crash report, it's looking for the map images in img/pictures
(because RPGMaker can be dumb sometimes and likes to default to img/pictures/ whenever it gets lost, confused, overwhelmed, or tired.)

Did some tinkering around with the demo, and may have a workaround if you're still up for giving it a go.
Since RMV wants to look in the img/pictures, we'll let it look there.

If you're a bit comfy with code editing and have notepad++ or something similar:
Line 360, 370, 414, 429, and 433: change "../maps/(whatever else after)" to "maps/(whatever else after)" Then drop the maps folder into the pictures folder.
that forces to file path to be img/pictures/maps/(YourFileNames) when calling the show picture.
Works with the demo version, so hopefully it will work for yours too? If not there will at least be a shiny new crash to look at.

If you don't feel like editing the js yourself, I'll see if I can get a version ready for you later?

(Side note; I'm guessing the reason it was the black circle causing the crash is because that's the first file that gets loaded up, and without something to suppress the error, it just stops there and crashes)
^_^ best of luck on your project in either case!

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wouldn't mind trying it. What do I put after /maps? Anything?

Last edited:

poorrabbit

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Basically you want to replace "../maps/" with just "maps/"
If there's anything after the slash, leave it in there. Some lines will have code there, some won't.

kylos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Changed each one to have 'maps/' or "maps/" depending on the line. Moved the map folder to pictures...

... and it's not working. No error message. Not sure if the file is meant to update when you change options in the plugins option, but nothing changes. Can't replicate the same error I was getting before, either, even when moving the maps folder back where it was. Nope. Completely lost, lol.

Edit: Checked to see if my other plugins are working properly when I change settings and they seem fine. For whatever reason, rabbitMap has died for me, no matter what version I use. I have tried the default file from the site, Shadowdragon's, and the file from the demo with/without being altered. I strongly believe this plugin will not work on older versions of MV no matter what is done.

Last edited:

Belegorad

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
... and it's not working. No error message. Not sure if the file is meant to update when you change options in the plugins option, but nothing changes. Can't replicate the same error I was getting before, either, even when moving the maps folder back where it was. Nope. Completely lost, lol.

Edit: Checked to see if my other plugins are working properly when I change settings and they seem fine. For whatever reason, rabbitMap has died for me, no matter what version I use. I have tried the default file from the site, Shadowdragon's, and the file from the demo with/without being altered. I strongly believe this plugin will not work on older versions of MV no matter what is done.
Well, the good news is that it's not crashing?

I guess for now all you can do is put it on a side burner. I'm sorry we couldn't get it working here. I'll see if I can get my paws on a 1.3 version of the MV core scripts and figure out what changed between versions, and how to account for that.
Thank you for your feedback though ^_^

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it requires at least 1.5.x or higher (recommend 1.6.x) or using this plugin.
most plugins made in 2018+ is best if you have 1.5.x or better as most
changes wont work.

the demo still works for me in 1.6.1 and works with other plugins.
however, I go with another plugin as this lacks 1-2 features.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
the demo still works for me in 1.6.1 and works with other plugins.
however, I go with another plugin as this lacks 1-2 features.
I tested the MV demo and got an error From OCRam Core.
This was with myself holding down ctrl and walking around with dash. It gave me a threshold exceeded message.
I looked up the plugin and its primarily a MZ plugin so maybe there is an issue with it in MV.
But loading rabbitmap in a new project worked fine on MV 1.6.2

If Kylos is using plugins that are older then maybe he needs to ask for them to be upgraded?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Roninator2 I didn't test the ctrl with the MV demo, but normal working,
I had no problems.

if you added the newer version, than I dont know, but the map alone with
everything OFF, works as intended though.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

no longer using rm2k3
Don't you hate when you're trying to sleep and suddenly the smoke detector needs batteries? That's exactly what happened to me. Now I'm sluggish and tired after that darn thing started chirping at 11:30 at night. Man I wish I had one of those smart smoke detectors that sends a message to your phone way before it starts chirping.
Interior of a bus, may do more vehicle interiors :kaoswt2:
1670089782219.png
I can hardly believe it is the third day of Christmas and I have yet to put up decorations! Spending my morning cooking breakfast and getting them up.
https://itch.io/s/83641/1-week-sale Do you want a Roguelike game like a turn-based Hades? Get Zodiac Hunters now while it's on sale!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottaSpice