RMMV Rainfall Tower - A Dark Souls Inspired Game

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by ProjectUnknow, Jun 25, 2018.

1. ProjectUnknow

ProjectUnknow Just a Lonely Producer Member

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Rainfall Tower
    A game in works by a lonely producer.

The Story
    The Rainfall Tower, where many in the past was chosen to be a Sleeper, Sleepers are to be bound asleep on the throne for eternity, their eternal sleep would bring a halt to the dead who's been preying on the locals, many knows of the Sleepers sacrifice. But some time eventually, the Sleepers would awoke from their sleep, thus once more awakening the dead.

Before the story
    No one knows why the dead arose from their graves after the great war in the past, but now they have overtook the legendary Rainfall Tower, it was years later when the first Sleeper was formed, they are special, they somehow has the power to put the dead back to sleep, which the Sleeper must pay the price also.

Gameplay
    Map Gameplay
    Just like good ol' days of RPGs; Walk, Explore The Tower, Fight, Puzzle and Loot!

Battle Gameplay
    • Side-view
    • Turn base battle
    • Using Yanfly's action sequence 1/2/3

The Characters
    The Playable
    • The Sleeper
      [​IMG]
      Not much is known about the man, a silent type, but it is not by choice, he was given the "silence" when he became the chosen Sleeper, he can only communicate by nodding or shaking his head (player's choice),

• Rêver Des Cieux Et Du Ciel (French for ~Dream Of The Skies And Heaven~ - not 100% accurate)
      [​IMG]
      Rêver, a young girl who was the chosen Sleeper, she and her sworn sword "Blanc" are ascending the Rainfall Tower so that she may sleep for eternity.

Her story can be played optionally and has no tie to the main game. The player can take control of her when triggering a certain event, which they'll be taken to the past before the main game and uncover her story arc. The player may quit and continue on the main game whenever they wishes.

• Blanc Crowen
      [​IMG]
      The protector of Rêver, he swore his life to her and would protect her at all cost.
    The NPCs

• Amy
      [​IMG]
      Known only as Amy The Merchant, she is reliable for selling items to the player.

• Dred The Hunter Of Darkhorn
      [​IMG]
      A man with a crossbow which he named "Mia et Grace". Dred is a contractor from the foreign lands of Darkhorn.

• Shelyx The Phantom
      [​IMG]
      She who died long ago, but was raised once more to fight for mankind.

• Gydam Of Hestel
      [​IMG]
      A man who only want one thing: Respect.

• Teres Of Gont
      A mysterious vampire who was trapped in a magical crate and unable to escape, but can still help the player.

Maps/Screenshots - Some Are Subject To Change
    Chamber Of The Guardians
    Chamber Of The Guardians:
    At first when I created this map, I made them individually, but after some time testing, I experimented and decided to merged the maps together, it turns out good and more fluent, so I kept it this way.
    [​IMG]
    Old Versions

[​IMG]

Room Of The Lost

Room Of The Lost Water:
    I thought of an idea that the tower would have a secret room, and was abandoned for sometime, that is where I got the "Lost" part from.
    [​IMG]
    Room Of The Lost Heroes I:
    A room that is connected to the Lost Water, It's just a room holding statues of heroes, and has a very basic puzzle sequence.
    [​IMG]

Screenshots

A screenshot of the main room:
    This is the place where all the essential NPCs gather, not including specials or hidden NPCs.
    [​IMG]
    A screenshot of the Sleeper awaking from the throne:
    This, at the moment will be where the player would begin the game.
    [​IMG]

A screenshot of a prototype map:
    The map at first I wasn't going to include in the game because of rendering/lagging issue, but when I fixed it, it ran smoothly now. I want the map to feel like a blueprint, and gives the player hint of hidden rooms, it will not show the players whereabouts. Its all made by tracing the actual map in Photoshop and running it through with common events.
    [​IMG]

The Lores
    • Rainfall Tower:
      The name "Rainfall" itself is a reference to the late king "Rain Fire" who fell from the tower, hence Rainfall. The tower is said to be the tallest tower ever built, it was constructed during "The Old Tale" when the "Death Gods" invaded the world. It is believed by many that the tower would allow humans to communicate with the Gods.

• The Sleeper's Oath
      The Sleeper's Oath is a ritual performed to those who are chosen to be the Sleeper. The chosen will have a part their body mutilated, and be forced to be bound to the throne of Rainfall, they each also wore a mask to cover their identity, which is unique for each person. If they were to take off the mask, they will eventually succumb to death, as a part of their soul are within the mask.

• Death Gods
      They were gods who were banished by the God Of All Gods: Harmony. Mankind first saw these Gods fell from the skies, and along with them, brought destruction to the world, in their arrival, they massacred thousands, and soon claimed the world as their own, thus, mankind named them "Death Gods", some joined forces with the gods, awhile others fought for their freedom. The war between Human and Death Gods has lasted for more then 100 years.

• Onus
      Onuses were once human whom sacrificed themselves in order to protect mankind, their oath - "We serve only human and no one else." Onus were first created when Mia Onus sacrifice herself into one, in order to strengthen Raven Afurs fight against the Death Gods.

Credits
    Plugins
    • Yanfly
    • Hime
    • Galv
    • Kath
    • SumRndmDde
    • Yami
    • Terrax
    • Raizen
    • Sabi
    • Izyees Fariz

Tiles

• Caitlin
    • PandaMaru

Music
    • Wingless Seraph
    • Jasprelao
    • Jeremiah "McTricky" George
    • Jude
    • Gamesfreak13563
    • Tarranon
    • Cornflake
    • Xcalnarok
    • Lana42
    • Kunsel
    • Subaru
    • NathanGDay
    • Snowy Fox
    • ReclaimedGlory
    • Apoc
    • hyde9318
    • 800 M.P.H.

Battlers Sprites
    • Ækashics

Note
    • I want to tell the story in a minimalistic way as possible so that it may challenge the play to uncover the lore of the story.

• Right now I am focusing on polishing the first map, but had already begun a little works on the second map.
    • I'll release a short demo once I'm confident with the games progression, I still having balancing issue with weapons/skills.

• And lastly, progress is very slow, because I'm either too lazy or have personal stuff to take care of. I will try to update as often as I can.

Demo (Not Available)
    Oops, nothing here yet...

State Of The Game: Writing Lores, correcting grammar and balancing skills

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    lianderson and Canini like this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I am not overly familiar with the Dark Souls series except from trying out Bloodborne, but from what I can tell you managed to nail the storyline feel. I have a soft spot for games where you explore a single large mysterious location such as the tower of the sleepers. Persona 3 has something similiar. I really like the look of the simplified map screen!

VioletSpark and ProjectUnknow like this.
  3. mv95

mv95 Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I am very enthusiastic about your project! I like how your story description is short and clear, and gives off the feel you are aiming for.

I have a question, though: You say that the people are well aware of the sacrifice of the sleeper, so they know about the ties between the sleepers and the rising of the dead, right?

But then why do you say here that no-one knows why they are resurrected? The people should know this is because the sleeper has awakened?

VioletSpark likes this.
  4. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Firstly, thank you for your comment.

the phase:
    It refers to when the dead first rose from their graves after the war, so it was before the game and when the Sleepers were first formed.
    it's kinder my fault for not addressing it more clearer, I'll have to fix it.

PS: And I apologize if my grammar is bad, English is not my first language :D

5. ptimiya

ptimiya Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The premise is catching. It also seems like your game will mostly benefit not from plot, or characters, but from having a great lore. Do include lore in every location, item, markings on clothing, equipment etc., so everything is interconnecting and storytelling.

6. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is exactly what I'm going for :D

7. Xion15

Xion15 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Omg please work hard to finish this! It sounds amazingly epic and i'd LOVE to play it as a huge souls and soulslike games I just can't contain my excitement! If this never saw a full release I'd cry so much! :kaojoy:

ProjectUnknow likes this.
  8. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha thanks :D

I'm still making slow progress (Very slow) but rest assured I will finish it no matter how long it takes :D

JGreene likes this.
  9. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a great idea, and sounds like you have a lengthy plan.

Tiny question- is Beatrix supposed to be an odd name? It's only ever a girl's name for English, and you've given it to a man. If it's on purpose, good for you.

Speaking of English, I might suggest getting someone to proofread your text. It's perfectly comprehensible, but there's a lot of tense errors, run-on sentences, and plurality errors just in the two paragraphs quoted above.

10. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Beatrix is actually the name of his weapon.

The man's name is Dred.
    I did changed the name of his weapon prior to this comment, but I haven't update the page yet.

I do have plans to get one of my family member to help me, but other than that, I'm stuck on my own.

11. Xion15

Xion15 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeeeaaahhh I'm currently making a game myself custom art and music along with mapping and the battling aannndd the writing... and because my art is so simplistic I feel the writing has to be incredible but my grammar isnt... good. I have one sheet of characters done tho just town people. I can show it too um hope it isn't against rules. Townfolk_1.png

TheOddFellow and ProjectUnknow like this.
  12. VioletSpark

VioletSpark Launcher of a Thousand Ships Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh....
    Yeah that's a thing about English. "A man with a crossbow named Beatrix," it's unclear whether the man or the weapon is Beatrix.
    Also, I think you're gonna get a lot of comparisons to Varric and Bianca. Both crossbows with 3-syllable women's names beginning with B
    If you'd like, when you're done, remind me. If I've still got time, I'm happy to help.

13. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, thanks for telling me this, I will try changing the words to make it more sense.
    And as of now, I've changed the name of his weapon.

And also, thank you for offering me your help :D

Hahaha, the two was my inspiration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm impressed that you're creating your own custom assets to your game, I adore them.
    I do like the simplicity in your characters, it has a charm to it.
    Sometimes simple is better ^_^

14. Xion15

Xion15 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    T-Thank you. It's been hard wanting to continue working because I keep telling myself no one will like it and think it's trash since I honestly can't add that much detail to them being 16x16 so I'm planning to have the portraits be bigger maybe 24x24 and hoping for side view battlers that show the party off better.

15. TheOddFellow

TheOddFellow Overactive Artisan Story Crafter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just keep going man. You can never tell how well-received something is going to be if you stop working towards completion. Also, you'll gain skills from completion and come up with ideas to make your next project faster. I have two 1-hour games, and my second 1-hour game is significantly better than my first one (though I love them both equally.)
    Besides, I'm interested.

16. Xion15

Xion15 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If that's in reply to me thank you. I plan around it misting taking place in dungeons for most of combat and story. 4-5 dungeons and lvl cap of 20-30 but i may do post content updates like... free expansions in a mmo type format. Increase cap to 40 if say it was 30 vanilla and focus on different stories per expansion and again completely free if I do, for people who buy it as a thank you.

Can't beat free lol

17. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's already been mentioned but some editing work definitely needs done on the writing, Soulsborne games benefit from some very good writing, very characterful and complex prose even in the item descriptions. It's a specific voice that makes them what they are and it's hard to capture. I'm happy to take a look at the prose, backstory and character descriptions you've presented in the thread and edit them to bring them more in line with that and make them a bit more grammatically correct. If you want to see what I can do with that kind if setting, you can check out the thread I made for a now-abandoned project which tried to capture a similar voice: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/in-scarlet-clad-early-development.81225/

Overall I really like the concept and think something cool could come of this. I really like games set around one central mysterious location and I'm interested to see how you vary it up to make each part visually unique and I really like the masked character designs too. I wouldn't be offering to help if I didn't think you had something potentially really cool here, so if you're interested then hit me up with a PM and we'll see where to take it from there!

18. ProjectUnknow

First Language:
    Hmong, English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for taking your time writing this comment :D

I really do appreciate you offering your help, but Lately I haven't been putting too much effort into this game as I have too many IRL stuff keeping me busy, so I, as of now, am not comfortable with others helping. I must thank you for your offering though.

I also took a look at your Project and I must say, its an interesting read, you've put a lot of effort into your story.

19. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ProjectUnknow I totally understand, real life gets in the way and sometimes you're not comfortable bringing other people in when you don't know what state the project is in yourself. I'm still interested see where this goes when you're able to get back to it, I wish the best of luck and I'll be following what you do with it!