Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings folks.

Ramza here, and I am opening a thread devoted solely to tech support for my plugin suite. I have released several plugins in the past, and each originally had their own release topics on the forum. I feel now that I have enough plugins to warrant a megathread support topic instead. Technically the individual release topics aren't really allowed anymore, so the thread is better suited to being in the plugin support forum anyway.

I am told the original threads will be closed. I hope that after being closed they don't disappear entirely, though. I will link them here, so anyone experiencing issues has a chance to dig through there to see if their issue has already been solved before.

Block Chance release thread
Dual Wield release thread

Here is a permalink to all of my free plugins.

If these interest you, be sure to check out my main itch.io page as well for even more plugins, extensions, and demo projects.

Thanks for using my plugins these last couple of years, and good luck on your RPG making endeavors.

Common Issues and their fixes:
I get a crash when I start my project with your plugins enabled
  • Make sure your yanfly plugins are in the correct order, and make sure you follow the load order I give for my own plugins (block chance directly after BattleEngineCore, for example
  • Make sure you have the most up to date version of the plugin
  • Make sure you didn't leave any required plugin parameters empty in the plugin manager
How do I download updates?
  • The most updated version of a plugin I have released is always available on its individual itch.io page.
  • To download an update to a plugin you already own, either go to the main store page and redownload it, or redownload it from your library on itch.io. The devlog links on itch.io apparently don't detect you own the plugin, and may try to make you re-buy it before allowing you to download the updated plugin file, for some reason. I have submitted a ticket to the itch.io team about this, but have never received a response.
Can I download older versions of your plugins?
  • I have older versions backed up in my personal files, but I do not have a way to make them available for download. If you want an older version for some reason, I can provide one to you, provided you can provide some sort of proof that you own the plugin (a receipt email, for example).
I can't make my actors block
  • Make sure you have all of the prerequisite plugins enabled in your project, and that they are loaded in the correct order.
  • Ensure the actor has a shield equipped in equipslot 1 (which is the second equipslot on the equipment list in the menu).
  • Ensure the shield has the passive state set in the plugin parameters on it.
  • Ensure that shields belong to equipment type 2, which is what they are by default. The equipment types are located on your 'types' tab in your database.
  • Ensure that the passive state has the <custom react effect> note tag in the help documentation on it. This tag does the majority of the work when it comes to actually displaying a block.
  • Ensure that the actor is not afflicted with a state that disables blocking, such as stun or sleep or death.
  • Ensure that the attack being blocked is physical, and that it does not have the <unblockable> note tag on it, or that if it isn't physical, that it does have the <blockable> note tag on it.
  • Ensure that the actor has a block rate value that is greater than 0%. The main source of this is from a <block chance: x> note tag on the shield. Set it to 100% for testing.
Sometimes when an attack lands, the game crashes:
  • Ensure the <block animation: x> tag on your shield has a valid number for the value of x. If the engine tries to play an animation that doesn't exist, it will crash.
  • Make sure the default block animation in the plugin parameters is valid as well.
  • Make sure the <block animation: x> tag on the enemy is valid, as it overwrites the default value if it exists.
My actors only hit once
  • Ensure that you have the actors set as dual wield type via the trait, and not that you haven't simply given them an extra weapon slot via the EquipCore plugin.
  • Actors who are dual wielding will only strike twice with the default attack skill.
  • If the actor has no weapon in his offhand, make sure the barehanded attack parameter is true.
  • Make sure that the trait that makes an actor capable of dual wielding isn't on one of their weapons, as part of the dual wield sequence removes the traits on their weapons, which will cause one of them to be unequipped if that was the only source of the dual wield trait.
My custom action sequence doesn't work right
  • A dual wield attack repeats the <target action> section of the action sequence only.
  • For this to work correctly, the attack animation, attack motion, and action effect should all be in the target action section of the sequence. If you have them in the setup action segment, they will not be repeated.
  • This will happen without dual wielding, if you give an actor an extra attack via the Attack Times + trait.
The damage on skills seems too high
  • Unless you tag a skill with <mainhand skill> <offhand skill> or <dualwield skill>, the skill will use all sources of atk from all equipment on the actor, resulting in both the main and offhand weapons being used in the calculation.
  • Setting one of the above tags on a skill will make it only use the atk from that weapon, or in the case of <dualwield skill>, cause it to alternate between the main and offhand atk value on successive hits, but only if the skill is a multihit skill.
The wrong weapon/animation is shown, or the damage is for the wrong hand
  • Make sure that the skill being used is not limited in which weapons it can be used with. The plugin automatically locks a skill to being used with one hand if the skill requires a weapon that is only being used in one hand, like if a skill requires a dagger to be used, and the user only has a dagger in their offhand, all hits of that skill will automatically use the dagger.
  • Make sure the skill doesn't have a <offhand skill> tag on it if you're expecting it to strike with the main hand.
The project crashes before the title screen
  • Ensure that all of the ingredient items in your recipes, and all of the result items that they make have the correct IDs in the plugin parameters. The plugin loads these items from the database before the title screen, and if one of them in invalid it will cause a crash.
My crafting scene has no ingredients in it
  • Make sure you've tagged ingredients with the <validCats: category1, category2> note tag, otherwise the ingredient will not be visible in a crafting category.
How do I add more crafting categories?
  • When creating a recipe in the plugin parameters, the box to set the category is a combo box, meaning you can select one of the three default options (Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Cooking) or type in anything else. Typing in a new category name here creates that crafting category in the game. Be sure to tag your ingredients with the new category or you won't be able to use them!
The crafting experience level is wrong/strings are undefined/it says I'm MAX★LEVEL
  • Be sure to start a new save game when you add new crafting categories to the project
The project crashes when I successfully craft something
  • As with the above issue, if the engine attempts to calculate experience gain on a crafting category that didn't exist when the save game was created, it will crash.
  • This may also cause a crash when it tries to determine the success rate before even attempting to craft a recipe.
  • Be sure to start a new save game after adding any new crafting categories to the plugin parameters.
Some of the text in the windows says 'undefined' after updating
  • After updating the plugin, make sure you open the plugin parameters and then click ok at the bottom, this will ensure that none of the new parameters are left blank after an update
My Additive ingredient traits don't do anything
  • Make sure the ingredient the traits are on belongs to the additive item list in the plugin parameters (or armor, or weapon, if it is one of those).
  • Make sure you are using the YEP_ItemCore plugin, and that independent items (or weapons, or armors) is enabled by setting a maximum number of them in the ItemCore plugin parameters.
  • Keep in mind that additive traits are not visible on the item they are tagged onto - they are passed to the result item -- and only if the result item is an independent item
Opening the menu causes a crash when I use the crafting levels scene extension
  • If you disable this plugin entirely, you'll likely find that the crafting system plugin isn't loading either.
  • The most common cause of this is that the recipe list plugin parameter is blank. Open your parameters, and double click the recipe list to populate it as an array.
  • Alternatively, you'll find this issue doesn't happen if you have created some recipes, as the list is populated then.
When I use this.weaponFormula() in my damage formula, the skill does 0 damage.
  • Due to an oversight in how damage formulas are parsed, you will need to wrap that function in an eval function for it to actually work, unless your weapon formula happens to be a flat number.
    eval(this.weaponFormula())

Last edited:

Nacura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello friend, it is appreciated that the Yanfly add-ons are being modified, they are good but limited, so I was going to ask you for help, download the Yanfly add-on: YEP_ItemSynthesis, and what you added for that is great, but there is a way to add more categories, such as potions, cooking, farm, mining etc, and wanted to know if you can add it to your plugin, and also add the category system by items, I mean, the default recipe in Yanfly does not give the option to put them into those catgories and ends up being grouped together and what you did was divide each one but in the notetag add to what category a certain item should be.

Example:
<Category: Kitchen> -----> Add to plugin
<Synthesis Ingredients>
Meat: 1
Salt: 1
</ Synthesis Ingredients>
<Not Independent Item>

I do not know if you understand me I use Google translator hahaha, well whatsoever you tell me if you create the necessary plugin I can help you with the credits in my game plus 1 copy of the game :D

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, what you ask isn't possible in a simple script like the categories addon I made.

I modified the plugin command to allow you to call the categories individually, but that was only possible because of the way that yanfly's plugin decides to show categories in the synthesis scene in the first place. Basically, my command hides the other categories by preventing the synthesis plugin from making a list of recipes for those categories, which hides the categories entirely because of the way the synthesis plugin was scripted.

So, unfortunately, adding more categories, or further breaking down into subcategories is not something that can easily be done.

However, I can say that I do have something a little more in line with what you're requesting in the works. I've been working on it for a few weeks now, and the scripting is basically completed, I just need to figure out how the UI stuff works (which I'm terrible at).

I'll just leave this here for now ;)

CS Alpha Screen.png

Nacura

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you very much friend, and if I know that it should be a bit difficult to do, because I wanted to do stores like cooking, blacksmith, farming etc and so it would be divided by each store, but if you could do so, let me know.

Thank you!

Roult

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for my bad english.

I also want an article summary category, and why not use Yanfly's "YEP.137 - Item Menu Categories - RPG Maker MV".
http://yanfly.moe/2017/05/19/yep-137-item-menu-categories-rpg-maker-mv/

Put category on recipes and have a plugin that only calls recipes with this category.

Example:

Hamburger Recipe = <Cooking>
Open Synthesis Cooking (All recipes with <Cooking> category only)

Can you say your opinion?

Thanks

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nacura @Roult
My own crafting system plugin is released now, and supports as many categories as you need, and also includes a few other neat features, like a leveling system, and failure item creation.. etc. Check it out on my itch.io page.

I recognize that not everyone can pay for plugins though, and even of those who can, not everyone wants to move to an entirely different system, especially one as complex as a crafting system, so I dug around a bit on my Item Synthesis extension, and managed to get it to support the YEP_X_ItemCategories plugin @Roult linked above. Version 1.10 of the extension supports calling only item recipes that match the category specified in the plugin command.
It does not add a new command to the window, so the main scene will only ever show item, armor, and weapon, but you can use the OpenSynthesis CATEGORY plugin command to call a scene that only shows recipes from item category CATEGORY. Note that the item category is case sensitive.

Here's an image that maybe describes it a bit too.

synthesis categories addon.png

Roult

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I will test it, i will give my opinion.
A big thanks.

shaylina

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey Ramza. Thank you for you hard works. I just bought your dual wiled nad shiled block for MZ, but I am having a little problem with. I put it in the plugin Manager just under the VisuStella cores in tier 1 but the block rate and all doesnt appear in the Menu. I then changed it lower below the whole VisuStella Plugins and it still doesn't show. I even tried with all other plugins that are not from VS turned off and still doesn't appear.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Ramza. Thank you for you hard works. I just bought your dual wiled nad shiled block for MZ, but I am having a little problem with. I put it in the plugin Manager just under the VisuStella cores in tier 1 but the block rate and all doesnt appear in the Menu. I then changed it lower below the whole VisuStella Plugins and it still doesn't show. I even tried with all other plugins that are not from VS turned off and still doesn't appear.
Hey there.

For block rate and shield piercing to show in the menu you need to include them in the plugin parameters for the VisuStella ElementStatus Core plugin. Here is a screenshot of where that is found:

elementstatuscore.PNG

Put BLK and SHDPRC in a column as shown and it will show in the menu.

I have not come up with a way to make block chance show on the normal equipment scene yet. IN the MV version of the plugin I drew a second line for ATK and replaced it conditionally with block if a shield was equipped, but that caused all kinds of display problems and was difficult to work around for a lot of people.

shaylina

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hey there.

For block rate and shield piercing to show in the menu you need to include them in the plugin parameters for the VisuStella ElementStatus Core plugin. Here is a screenshot of where that is found:

View attachment 158950

Put BLK and SHDPRC in a column as shown and it will show in the menu.

I have not come up with a way to make block chance show on the normal equipment scene yet. IN the MV version of the plugin I drew a second line for ATK and replaced it conditionally with block if a shield was equipped, but that caused all kinds of display problems and was difficult to work around for a lot of people.

Thank you so much! And no problem at all. block rate and shield piercing is already plenty enough. Beside I love these two plugins. cant wait to see what you bring next! You got yourself a supporter now. :)

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Dear Ramza:

Finally got around to implementing Parry into my game. Awesome Plug-in <3

I noticed that the weapons you are wielding pop-up when you parry. Does your Block Chance Plug-in perform this same feat? I updated to 2.26 but did not see it anywhere.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there.
Shields don't generally have weaponsprites associated with them, so Block Chance shows an animation on the defender when they block. The default animation is set in the plugin parameters, and can be overridden by a note tag on a shield:
<Block Animation: x>

The animation is shown during the react effect on the block state. Assuming you're using the copy + paste of the react effect in the helpfile for the plugin, it is played on the line target.startAnimation(blockAnim, true, 0). If you're not using the custom state in my helpfile, you can check that custom state to see what you need to add to your own to get a block animation to show.

The plugin demo for block chance includes a battle animation spritesheet with three different shields in it, and block and slam animations for each. They are just single frame animations taken from the RMVXAce iconset, so if you don't own RMVXAce, you unfortunately cannot use them in your project, but you can look and see examples of how they can be used, or custom made.

Likewise, the default slam animation is set in the plugin parameters, but can also be overridden via note tag, and then can be called during an action sequence to make certain skills show the shield animation, to simulate striking someone with an equipped shield.

desertbriar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Ramza!

I noticed I hadn't updated the Crafting MV plugin in about a year (lol) last version I was using was v 1.10 so I tried adding the newest version of the plugin to my game, however the crafting scene doesn't come up at all or shows this error with the deactivate thing. I'm not sure what it could be, are there still versions 1.11 to 14 of the plugin available to test to see which version it causes an error on?

1607505253996.png

Last edited:

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Ramza!

I noticed I hadn't updated the Crafting MV plugin in about a year (lol) last version I was using was v 1.10 so I tried adding the newest version of the plugin to my game, however the crafting scene doesn't come up at all or shows this error with the deactivate thing. I'm not sure what it could be, are there still versions 1.11 to 14 of the plugin available to test to see which version it causes an error on?

View attachment 170485
Hello there.
Thank you for the paste of the error stack there. This error is indicating that it's trying to deactivate a window that doesn't exist. The window on that line is the category window, the window that comes up when you enter the crafting system scene that has you select which category to craft.
This window is created whenever the scene is opened, even when there is only one category, or the window is skipped because you called it from a plugin command, so it's definitely strange that it wouldn't recognize that window as existing at all.

I don't recall changing anything in the create function for this scene, so any updates from 1.10 to 1.15 did not directly cause the issue here, though it's possible that changes to plugin parameters in those updates might have done something that caused this in some sort of cascading failure.

First thing I'd do is roll back to 1.10 and make sure it still works.

Next, import a new version of the plugin below the working one, then disable the working one, but leave all the plugin parameters to their default, and verify the menu can be accessed.

Once that is confirmed, start setting the parameters of the updated plugin to match those in your working older version (category window, craft experience, etc). Screenshots will help make this take a bit less time.

The last one you want to do is the recipe list. You can copy paste this directly from the working plugin copy, so you don't need to worry about losing your recipes. Maybe try a couple at first, maybe from just one category, test and see if it's still working, and then do a few more.

I'm hoping it's just a parameter not being set correctly, and by doing this 'reset' we can sort it out, but let me know if this doesn't fix it and I'll see what else I can come up with.

desertbriar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, adding any recipes to the list causes the deactivate error, and not having any recipes doesn't show the deactivate error but still doesn't call up the crafting scene with the plugin commands

I turned off all other plugins and it still didn't call in the scene so it doesn't seem to be a plugin conflict

v 1.10 works fine with the recipes with no errors and calls up the scenes successfully

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Afternoon Ramza;
I just wanted to inquiry about how Dual Wield handles equipment that use the Attack Skill Trait. I'm assuming that if I'm dual wielding weapons that both use the attack skill trait where each weapon casts Spell A and Spell B respectively on their own, that with the dual wield skill; the behavior would remain the same and act as intended where dual wielding said weapons would cause the actor to attack/cast with spell A and spell B in a single turn. Is this a correct assumption to make?

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, adding any recipes to the list causes the deactivate error, and not having any recipes doesn't show the deactivate error but still doesn't call up the crafting scene with the plugin commands

I turned off all other plugins and it still didn't call in the scene so it doesn't seem to be a plugin conflict

v 1.10 works fine with the recipes with no errors and calls up the scenes successfully
Oh, you're using the plugin command to access the system, not the menu? I'll take a better look into this then, it's possible I moved something around and a window isn't being created in that specific case.

Edit: I just found and corrected this. I don't recall ever making this change, but at some point I moved the creation of that category selection window inside an if check to see if a category had been set already (like via plugin command), so it only ended up creating that window if no category had been set. This is fixed in version 1.16, which I will have uploaded in a few minutes.

Afternoon Ramza;
I just wanted to inquiry about how Dual Wield handles equipment that use the Attack Skill Trait. I'm assuming that if I'm dual wielding weapons that both use the attack skill trait where each weapon casts Spell A and Spell B respectively on their own, that with the dual wield skill; the behavior would remain the same and act as intended where dual wielding said weapons would cause the actor to attack/cast with spell A and spell B in a single turn. Is this a correct assumption to make?
I was unaware that this trait existed in RMMZ, as it didn't exist in MV.
Unfortunately, this will go along the same line as someone who is using the YEP_WeaponUnleash plugin for RMMV to replace their attack skill in MV - This plugin won't entirely work with it.

Because of the default way that dual wielding worked in rpgmaker, the engine is only going to use one instance of the attack skill trait. When dual wielding weapons in the default engine, this doesn't work either, you'd just get the mainhand attack skill, possibly with the offhand weapon's animation under it.

In the dual wield plugin, assuming the engine programmed the attack skill trait to act as if it were the real attack skill, it should still hit twice, and will even split damage between hands, and ignore weapon traits from the opposite hand, like the attack skill normally would, but it will not do different attack skills depending on which weapon is swung.
This is because the sequence begins by using the attack skill of the mainhand weapon. When the offhand swing happens, it is programmed as a repeat of the 'target section' of the action sequence of the skill being used. Meaning it will cause the mainhand attack skill to trigger, and then trigger and offhand hit of the same skill, with damage splitting and all of the other dual wield goodies intact.

Unfortunately, there's no good way for me to make it work with this feature, because the entire system hinges on the 'Attack Times+' trait, which in VS BattleCore, only adds an extra hit to the attack skill (or hopefully skills set as the attack skill by a weapon). Because it is simply repeating a section of the skill already being used, the offhand hit cannot start a new skill, or borrow the sequence from another skill without entirely rewriting how it works.

However, if you're using the attack skill trait to replace attack with a skill that is functionally the same, but only has a different damage formula, I have good news. My Weapon Attack formulas plugin (check my itch page) works with MZ and does exactly this, and was designed as a replacement for the 'Replace Attack' function in the aforementioned Yanfly plugin, for people using that to make different weapons use different damage formulas.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
However, if you're using the attack skill trait to replace attack with a skill that is functionally the same, but only has a different damage formula, I have good news. My Weapon Attack formulas plugin (check my itch page) works with MZ and does exactly this, and was designed as a replacement for the 'Replace Attack' function in the aforementioned Yanfly plugin, for people using that to make different weapons use different damage formulas.
Maybe you can help me figure a way of doing this.

What I'm trying to do is create a class that uses literal dice to roll for it to function. Using some basic array setup, I created a skill that will randomly return one number from an array stored in a game variable, which will then automatically pick 1 of 6 states based on the returned value. The state will unlock state-specific skills and also increase/decrease stats by 1 of 3 % values.

The thing is I designed to separate the unlocks and stat changes into magic and phys versions for more chaos and variety. This means I need to roll 2 dice that do the same thing in terms of logic. The reason why I wanted to look into duel wielding is that I also created weighted arrays so that some dice have greater chance of pulling a number.

With the dual wield skill, had it worked as I thought, I could roll both dice with a single action without using some roundabout method to do so as the roll logic is attatched to skills and the skills would be attatched to the weapon via weapon skill.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can definitely use the damage formula for a lot of things. You can use it to call functions added by scripts, or from the base engine itself, as well as make random rolls and do random effects without the use of common events or skills.

Let's say you have a d4 which adds a different state with each formula. You could use the following damage formula to do that:
var roll = Math.round(Math.random(4)+1); if (roll == 1){b.addState(x)} else if (x == 2){b.addState(y)} else if (x == 3){b.addState(z)} else {a.addState(1)}

You could even go so far as to have the formula check what weapon the user is wielding, and then determine from there which states to apply, or how many sides the dice has, which technically wouldn't require any other plugins either, although the formula would be super confusing to try to figure out or troubleshoot if something isn't working correctly.

Anyways, since you're using a skill to grab a number from an array, you could make your own function to do this instead, and then use that function to pull the number rolled in the damage formula, so you could keep all your fancy weighting and whatnot as well.

The only tricky thing with this is that damage formulas only happen if the skill is set to do damage, and if it doesn't end up doing damage in the end, it'll still popup a miss damage popup, or a 0, or something. I'm sure there are damage popup plugins that can offset this limitation though.

Basically anything you can do with a skill and a common event can also be done in the damage formula, it's just a matter of how complex you can get.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well I wanted the formula to change based on weapon equipped and the formulas would be based on the two weapons equipped which is why I thought dual wield would make this simpler and less convoluted on top of require less running around.

Having singular formulas per skill and the skill associated with the weapon would have been more modular rather than sticking it in a single skill formula box (which I'm not sure has a character limit or not) as well as less messy. The modularity is also important to me so that changes later on in the project as well as debugging/troubleshooting becomes way easier.

Also I'm a novice so I'm not exactly sure where I would store the method/function actually lol. Sorry if I'm cluttering your thread about this though.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, could I use action sequence's custom damage formula to do the same thing via comment event calling a plugin command, and not have the damage show up via popup command?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So, as i finish setting up my items for part 1 of my game, I realized I forgot to finalize an ENTIRE category of items. Know which ones? The Fallen Feathers....BTW my game is called "Fallen Feather"
and_remember_tomorrow_exploding_puzzle_logo.jpg

Made some new friends, and blew up a puzzle... Happens. :LZSwink:
A new RPG Maker music pack is coming out soon! Below is a demo of one of the compositions in the pack, Heroic Battle. More details coming soon!

Trying to build a child-size body. Mostly happy with it except the sideview arms - can't get them to move quite right yet. Anyway, here's the work-in-progress, with an adult for size comparison.
ChildTest-01.gif

I started in VXAce and I liked how the kids flapped their arms so that's why it's just flapping.
A character theme... finally posted some of the music tonight as celebration for 500 followers. I really like how this song came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMITR