Random 0 FPS in 1.6

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Celianna, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is an extremely rare bug that I cannot reproduce because it appears at complete random times.

I've had a couple of players report that their game would freeze. Mid-sentence. As in, text was still showing up letter by letter and then just stopped. Hitting F2 you could tell it was at 0 FPS. However, other F controls would still function.

Honestly at first I thought maybe it was hardware related, until I left my game running one time (it wasn't even executing anything, just sitting there with no events running) and when I came back, I noticed it wasn't responding (music still played). I hit F2 and yep, 0 FPS.

I'd love to blame this on my plugins but honestly - I never had this 0 FPS crash during the 1.3 version of MV. I recently upgraded my game to 1.6 and while still extremely rare, that's when it started appearing. Not a whole lot, but I do have a few players who have had it happen to them 4-5 times while playing a 10 hour long game.

It's hard to reproduce because I don't know the trigger. I'm thinking perhaps it's a memory leak. I'm unsure. Either way, it seems to be an issue with the engine itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tome571

Tome571 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Any way to see task manager to see what RAM/Memory usage is at these times? It might help narrow it down to if its a memory leak or not.

EDIT: console check might not be a bad idea either, to see if its throwing any errors

3. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I encounter the same bug in my project in 1.5.1 version while I run it in test mode, how much and wich plugins you use @Celianna

4. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just to add on to this without any help to the topic at all, but I've encountered this same issue, and someone also mentioned it happening to them on rpgmaker's subreddit (which I commented saying "hey me too", so why not here too for good measure).

Basically the game will just graphically freeze, but things are still running within the program. Whenever it happens during my playtesting, I'll hit ESC and navigate to the Save menu (by memory - I can't see anything because the screen seems frozen, but I can still hear the menu sound effects as I go through it), saving, and then closing/restarting where I was.

Never had this issue before. We thought it might be a graphics card issue, but the person on the subreddit uses an AMD and I have an Nvidia, all drivers updated.

Anyway, not very helpful comment on my part, but I wanted to mention I've seen this happen to my game as well. 1.6.

5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Will definitely try checking RAM usage next time I encounter it. Console didn't show anything odd though.

@Soulrender quite a lot of custom plugins. But I don't think it's plugin specific, I really do believe it's a version 1.5 and up issue.

6. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If it's a ram or cpu usuage issue the computer itself will freeze. Not just the game. Is that's what happening?

7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I tried out your game, the latest one in itch.io, and your game is bigger than I last saw it. I did definitely notice that your game did not "freeze" because all the voice sounds were playing as if the game is still ongoing. But the pictures themselves are frozen and at 0FPS before it died completely.

I did notice however that you have the same problem I have since 1.3.x which is during transition from scene to scene, especially if it's on the same map, the game's FPS will drop significantly by 20 (you can also see this in your playtest version once in a while. It's random but it's in there). RPG Maker has a thing where during transition, it won't wait for your FPS to stabilize, so you get upto -5 FPS drop (!) sometimes. The crash also only happened to me after the mask transition. (Not the curtain one)

This is a common problem in the Japanese forums too. I used this recently in OMORI and it has helped a bit.

You will still need some work though especially waiting for long periods of time giving 0 fps, that seems to be a big problem separately. I've been trying to check console for potential errors and memory leaks but with strong PCs it's really hard to replicate.

Also one thing to consider is that, and I still need to check, if common event resources are preloaded into memory.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Celianna - lot of plugins can cause your problem. Especialy when they are poorly written, but if you are absolutely sure it's not plugins, then maybe sound files? I noticed not all OGG codecs are good for RMMV. When I used some tool (stand alone application) game was extremly laggy, when I converted it with online tool it was much better. I really cannot help you further, because I lack of knowledge about technical aspects of RMMV.