Joined
Jul 10, 2016
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried looking elsewhere for an answer to this one, but for some reason, found no other references to it anywhere either on these forums or on Google. It appears that nobody else has ever had this problem, ever. Or just didn't care. I find that hard to believe, but given the weirdness, I am just going to go ahead and post and see if anyone knows how/why this is happening.


When I started work on my first project in RMMV, everything was fine. No errors of any kind that I could find. Since my first project was more of a magnum opus, though, and i was really just trying to get my feet wet with something smaller, I put that project on hold to start a nice little dungeon delver. When I finished creating the game, I opened up the database to start editing data. To my surprise, the database was filled with what appear to be trash entries written in kanji (I am presuming; I don't read kanji, but it's pictographic writing with an feel to it like that which I see on food menus at my local Japanese eatery, so I feel somewhat comfortable in making the assertion). What's more, the default entries appear scrambled somewhat; for example, enemies don't have the right RTP pictures associated with them but random ones, even those whose names are still in English, and the icons for weapons/armors and such are all wrong too. I don't USE any of the original entries in the DB (other than the existing animations), so this isn't exactly a crisis, but it was weird enough, and enough of a mild inconvenience, that I thought I would ask for advice anyway. Anyone know the cause/have a fix for it?
 

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Joined
Mar 17, 2012
Messages
3,404
Reaction score
1,733
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
  I remember after getting the latest update that when I opened up MV the database had been similarly filled out in Japanese. If I'm not mistaken I believe that prior to that those entries didn't exist at all. I just deleted them and moved on, all of the JS and such was still in English so unless it actually overwrote your entries (I was lucky enough to have not done anything in the database before updating so I don't know if it would do that or not) It's really not a big issue. My best guess is that the Japanese devs finally decided with this last update to give MV a default database and the folks at Degica decided to wait until a later update to translate it rather than delay the update for something so unnecessary.
 
Joined
Jul 10, 2016
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That makes sense. Thanks. Like I said, it wasn't a crisis; it just confused the heck out of me, is all.
 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
33,997
Reaction score
8,628
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as I know this only happens if you use the 1.2 updater instead of the full install for 1.2, and yes that were japanese additions to the default database that were added last minute to the update, without even telling the people at Degica about it (so they had no chance to provide a translation).


And changing the second updater now (especially considering that they've had an additional third update planned since 1.1) would be a waste of work
 
Joined
Jul 10, 2016
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am still in my trial period, though I am buying the software next week because I love it so much, and will just do a full reinstall at that time. Unless 1.3 shows up by then, in which case, I will just update since it seems likely that they will include full translations of everything at that time. Thanks a lot for clearing this up for me; I was worried I had somehow done something to screw with the DB; glad to hear it's a "working as expected" thing instead.
 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Haven't been on here actively in awhile, project is going strong my biggest issue is the STORY, i'm refining the plot and learning so much i decided to take a writers class to improve even more but the programming and functionality of the game is stepping up nicely!
Hi everyone! Here's what I'm working on today! It's one of the dorms on campus. I know I said I wouldn't use assets but I reused a few things from the cafeteria hehe.
FCuxBOMXMAICK5e
I added a little squish effect when characters change direction to try and make things a bit more lively. Though it's a bit hard to see on the fast moving guys.
2f4fiuy.gif
I just discovered this game exists; the premise itself is ****ing hilarious. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kill-it-with-fire
Can't wait for next update! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
116,118
Messages
1,095,931
Members
151,526
Latest member
Caraba19
Top