Random Loot! - Video Tutorial

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here are multiple methods for random loot (stats are not random, only which items you get are). This can be used for items, weapon, armor, etc., and you don't need to only use treasure chests -- maybe an NPC will give you some loot?

This tutorial was a request! Let me know what else you'd like to see, in the comments.

Malagar updated Galv's script to add some new functions! You can get both here: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/25462-galvs-random-loot-drops-v-11/

Visit http://crackedrabbitgaming.com/guides/rpg-maker-vx-ace-tutorials/ for a list of scripts I use in these videos.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Tommy, why would you post a tutorial which shows the wrong way to do something and then just say don't do it this way?

ISTM that this might be a conversational video to help a friend, but if you want to help folks who are looking to answer a question, you really do not want to confuse them by keeping the first part with poor implementation. Those first four minutes are just misleading.

Maybe consider editing the video, and trimming out the incorrect parts, so it is a little lean and mean?

I appreciate the desire to help folks, it is what makes the internet a friendly and wonderful place.

But bad information can be a big problem, too.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Because as I explain, it's a method that *can* work if: a) you only have one per map, or  B) you use different variables for each one. My videos are meant to show how the engine works, so the viewer will at least learn how pages work, and how that could apply to a *different* function in their game. I think it's also good to know *why* something doesn't work, and why that method is not as good as the other methods. It's a method that seems to work if you only make one, but then if you go and copy/paste them, it falls apart, and I wanted to explain why so people don't make that mistake. I said right upfront that it's not a good method to use, and that I would explain why, so I don't think it's really misleading.

I understand the criticism, but those were my reasons for leaving it in. I will add an annotation telling people they can skip that part, though. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Did anyone else get a 'sever error' a little while ago on fourms? because I did...
So... today was a friend birthday and she explicitly requested this little scene, otherwise she'll come to my house and shot me with a water gun.

Kinda late to the party but if you're trying to make a game with relatively large roster, my suggestion: be ready for a long, long ride yourself.
were the servers acting weird a few minutes ago for anyone else or was it just me?
I finished playing Shadows of Adam. With just the increased stat monsters and keeping gear from completing game, I didn't feel much motivation to play new game plus. I feel that there should be new content to discover if new game plus is part of a game, like Chrono Trigger's multiple endings, or the Diablo series' vast collection of loot and lore items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Van246