Jewelraffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
first thread woot ;D

Yanfly's SV Enemies plugin contains a notetag (<Sideview Battler: filename>) to give your enemy a random pool of SV battlers to choose from (multiples add more random options), but there's no option (or even plugin) to allow this for static enemies.

Nothing fancy, just a single <Static Battler: Fish1>, <Static Battler: Fish2> dealeo, basically identical to Yanfly's random SV but for statics. It's slightly niche, but the lack of a random static tag kinda surprised me lol and maybe in the future someome will thank the stars it exists ;P

Thanks!

EDIT: Okay so it's probably not a snippet but I imagine it can't be that big either. Gonna have to brush up on terminology a bit, oof.
EDIT 2: Title changed to hopefully avoid any more confusion. :oswt:

Last edited:

Ebanyle

what
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What if you make an enemy sheet with the same graphics in all slots?

Jewelraffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wait wut

how did i get misinterpreted this badly :osad:

<Static Battler: Bat1>
<Static Battler: Bat 2>
Would, when encountering a bat, randomly select one of the static images from enemies or sv_enemies, therefore adding randomization to static enemies. The idea is a static version of Yanfly's random SV battlers, which selects a random given battler whenever the enemy is encountered.

mathmaster74

just...John
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jewelraffe I did something like this in my Steam game. When you get to "stage two", invisible encounter events I created will use the follow autonomous move route to seek out the player. On event touch, the first page of script activates. On that page, I use a random number generator to determine who the enemy will be and then set battle calls for each possible enemy selected in a nested conditional. Example: If RandNum = 1, then Battle Processing:Fred Else If RandNum = 2, then Battle Processing:Ethel Else If RandNum = 3, then Battle Processing:Ricky...
You don't pick the random within the battle, but you get a random static encounter this way. Hope it helps. Best! :smile:

EDIT: Also..."Lucy! You got some 's'plainin' t' do!"

Jewelraffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I appreciate the help, but that isn't my intention at all. While I can make random sets of enemies using swamp enemies, I don't want to have like 5 identical copies of the same bat just to add some visual variety. The function exists beautifully in Yanfly's SV Enemies plugin, a version but randomizing the sprite for statics would fit the bill perfectly.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but for statics instead of SVs. :D

Still, thanks for the insight and good day to you too :oswt:

mathmaster74

just...John
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Jewelraffe I looked at the link you provided and backed it up slightly from where you have it timestamped to play at. Those tags ARE for static battlers. :rolleyes: The tags are intended to replace static battlers with animated battlers for more interesting enemies. That's why you don't see a tag to swap static Bat1 for static Bat2. Swapping static for static wasn't the point of the plugin. It adds no interest. If you want variety of static battlers for added interest, why not just create a bunch of troops with different static enemy arrangements and then use the random battle selection process I outlined before? You can always put Bat1 and Bat2 together in as many different troop arrangements as you like that way...or...as you said...just swap enemies. :| Note: This plugin did not automatically do something to create any of the battlers out of thin air. The static battler note tag tells the program, "Here are some animated battler sprites I'd rather see in place of this static one...and directs MV to look for files in img/sv_actors with the filename matching the battler referenced in the tag. Hence... @Ebanyle was right. If you want this note tag to point from a static of one appearance to a random static of a different appearance, you just need to make a "dummy" sv_actors sprite sheet for each new static monster with copies of its one look nine times across and three rows deep saved as a .png in the img/sv_actors folder in order to use the provided note tag as you desire. You wouldn't need to change the syntax, either. If you wanted to change Bat 1, you would use the note tag <Sideview Battler: Bat2> and now your static Bat 2 is in the mix of random replacements available. Capice? :wink:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
http://yanfly.moe/2015/12/17/yep-45-swap-enemies/

you make a placeholder enemy with notetags.
when the fight starts the placeholder enemy is automaticly swaped out for a random pick from the notetags.

so say your starting region only has slimes and crows.
instead of making 4 troops for every possibility of 3 monsters showing up out of those 2 choices, you'd only make 1 troop that is 3 of the placeholder enemy.
now that 1 troop has chance of appearing as 3slimes, 3crows, 2slime/1crow, 2crow/1slime

edit: oh you just want random sprites not random encounters?
you could just make 3 bats with identical stats but a different image n use the swap enemys as a randomizer to pick which of the 3 bats is called up
but something to randomize the image or hue with only 1 bat entry doesnt currently exist. if you combine this with enemy levels plugin those same 3 bats can be used for level 1, 8, 22, 44. you just have to get tricky with how you use the plugin script calls to fix them to static levels for each region (if your using the standard static enemy levels)

Last edited:

Jewelraffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok... :osad:

I didn't think it would be this hard to convey that I wanted random enemy appearances for static enemies and I'm trying to avoid needing duplicates of enemies, although Swap Enemies is a great way to randomize the troops themselves. I don't even know how using SVs would work, since each motion would change what the enemy looks like... right?

Still, I'm glad I got replies at all. Thanks for at least replying to this complete noob :oswt:
Maybe it'll show up in a future plugin, who knows? But still, thanks!

If possible, is the thread able to remain open in case someone does actually make this mini-plugin? I don't exactly know how that procedure works, but I'm still open. :thumbsup-right:

Jewelraffe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Waterguy has made a very small thingy to solve this problem! IHopeThisIsEnoughOfAnUpdateToNotBeADoublePost

Thank you!

Game_Enemy.prototype.battlerName = function() {
if (this._battlerName) return this._battlerName;
else {
var battlerNames = [this.enemy().battlerName];
var extraNames = this.enemy().meta.hasOwnProperty('extraBattler') ? this.enemy().meta['extraBattler'] : undefined;
extraNames = extraNames.split(',') || undefined;
for (var i = 0; i < extraNames.length; i++) battlerNames.push(extraNames);
this._battlerName = battlerNames[Math.randomInt(battlerNames.length)];
return this._battlerName;
}
};

Leaving this with permission so that others can use it too. Thanks for all the help! :ohappy:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I'm quickly recovering from Covid, but I'm still broke and injured lol. I miss working on my game! I think I've figured out a lore-friendly way to do a tutorial section separate from the main gameplay, but it'll take some scripting know-how. Which I don't have. And can't afford. :p
I think Kipling said it best.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss,
(...)
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son!

Do you feel like your modern cities are too clean? I made some dumpsters and trash variations. Visit my MZ resource thread (link in signature).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G4M3RS3B3N