LocksmithArmy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am in the design stage of my game and wanted to develop a world map... but did not wanna think to much... so 2 days later, I now have a random map generator.
You are all free to download and use it:

It not only creates maps, it exports them to RPGMaker MV .json files so you can pop em right in your game.
You can save the .bmp file and edit it in MS Paint, then upload it and create the .json file from the edited file aswell.

I may be willing to edit it if someone wants a new feature or has a new idea.

My #1 gripe is the mountains are always surrounded by forests, just choose if you want the group to be a mountain or a forest and edit it yourself.

RandomMapGeneratorx200.bmp

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, very cool! Im really interested in it as Im working on procedural Map generation, with the only difference that maps are generated during Gameplay.

You use simple Noise Maps, right? I face the same issue with mountains surounded by forest. Im experimenting a little bit by replacing each area of mountains by some random chosen biom, eg desert, wasteland, snowfield. Still it's so hard to achieve variety.

When you have more knowledge in procedural Map generation Im looking forward for some knowledge transfer :)

LocksmithArmy

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use perlin noise which is a smoothing of simple noise but the idea works for both. It shouldn't be too hard to implement this in JS but, like you have found, it'll have the same problems. You would need a smarter way to identify higher regions and randomly pick a biome for the whole chunk.

For my purposes, I did not need it to run at runtime, (that and I'm much faster with C#) so I can get away with an external resource. The hardest challenge was getting it to choose the right RPGMaker tile to put based on surrounding tiles so the borders would be smooth.

garorey

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
IGM
very good job.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game
The Dark Toon art style is now available as Steam branches. (Both for the main game and the demo)
Battle.jpgCaptain.jpgCutsene.jpg
There are 2 versions. One only affects combat, cutscene, and portraits. The other one changes more.
So, technically, the game now has 7 versions on steam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhanmorris94