Randomizing Questions in Quiz-based Battle System

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by awanderingfox, Nov 9, 2018.

1. awanderingfox

awanderingfox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello friends!

I'm an English teacher and I'm trying to make a vocabulary game. I have no coding knowledge, so RMMV has been a great help. I am also thankful for all the tutorials and plugins the community has shared. It has made the process much easier for this dinosaur ^^.

I've created a storyline where NPCs introduce vocabulary, like in the picture below:
    [​IMG]

Then, the students are tested on the vocabulary in battles. Currently, I've been getting by with this arrangement:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Essentially, I write out every detail of the interaction, including the point where the enemy experiences a Knockout. I use labels and switches to make sure every question is answered correctly before the party emerges victorious.

I have two questions:
    1. Is there an easier way to manage this specific interaction? With the way I'm doing it, actors can't heal themselves or level.
    2. As the word list grows, I'd like battles to randomize words tested (eg. This battle tests Words A, J, and F). Is there a kind of database where I can just write all the words in?

I did attempt linking words to variables, but I don't know to assign the resulting choices and consequences to the same variable.

I hope my questions make sense. Thank you for your time, and for helping a beginner like me. It's my dream for the students to enjoy this and start making their own vocabulary games for themselves and their classmates to play (and practise storywriting while they're at it!).

Attached Files:

kamuipsyus likes this.
  2. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First of all, I LOVE that you are doing this. Education needs far more gamification, and this seems like a grand way to accomplish it.

Honestly, variables are likely the way to go with this, unless someone wants to make you a plug in. You don't even need to use battles for this, and for the level of control you are looking for, this may be done easier on the map. I am currently at work and do not have access to RMMV to show you, but if no one has gotten you a solution by the time I get home, I can get you something working.

Honestly you are well on the right track.

awanderingfox likes this.
  3. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't need to use anything like a database. Just use a common event to store all questions.
    if variable 1 is 1:
    What does "dog" meam?
    if variable 1 is 2:
    What does "cat" mean?

and so on. You can then set the variable as a random value from x to y each turn.

awanderingfox likes this.
  4. awanderingfox

awanderingfox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your post really warmed my heart! Thank you for taking the time to encourage me -- it gave me a much-needed confidence boost. I've taken your advice on the variables. I'm not quite sure what you meant by doing it on the map, so I tried the interaction out as a normal event, like below:
    [​IMG]

It was a lot easier to do! I do think that some of that 'in-battle' feeling is lost, though.
    Thank you again for your help and comments. A screenshot of your comment will be my desktop wallpaper until I'm done with this. <3

It took me a while to figure this out, but once I did -- oh, you're so clever! -- it worked like a charm. If anyone else needs help, this is what I did:

1. Store all the questions and actions as a common event, like Poryg suggests. I saved it as Common Event 5.
    [​IMG]

2. In the troop event, have a variable that calls for the Common Event (I called for 5). Then, have a variable that chooses the question number.
    I set the conditions to Turn 0 so it runs before the traditional attack menu.
    [​IMG]

4. In battle, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I might not have done it in the best way, but I'm still learning. Thank you for your help! You taught me something new and useful. :)

Attached Files:

5. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad you found my advice a bit useful, I was worried about the lack of battle feel as well.

The fact that you are improving is a good sign, you will continue to grow and get better as you put in the effort. I'll gladly follow along with your progress!