Randomly scattered items

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Hyouryuu-Na, May 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are randomly scattered/generated items a good idea? The concept seems to fit my horror mystery type game but I figured setting it up will be tough. Lets say there are 42 items that the player can collect from an area. These can be found by opening drawers, cupboards etc. Each item will need their own variable. Because there should be a way to check where it will spawn. Like if varibale chalk's value is 2 (any random number between 1-something), the chalk will be generated in a drawer on the 4th room in the 2nd floor for example. Because I'm using grid free doodads, I can't control those items directly- they are pictures and need switches. So I'll need about 50 variables and 50 switches for 50 items. Will random items be worth this level of complexity?

Also, if I do make a system like this, I'm thinking about allowing difficulty levels. On lower difficulty levels, the items will always be found in a fixed location. How does that sound? I need your opinions. Thank you.

atoms likes this.
  2. AfroKat

AfroKat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That system sounds fine to me. My only thing is if you have different difficulties instead if fixing the item spots, make less appear on lower difficulties and more appear on higher. Or the opposite if you want a more dangerous feeling

Hyouryuu-Na and atoms like this.
  3. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Hyouryuu-Na It almost sounds fine to me, but what sort of random items do you get in the horror game? You mean items suited for combat and things like that, right? I think I'm following, if so, and they are all 100% random to get any of the 50 items, then how do you balance it so the character doesn't become overpowered by randomly getting more overpowered items early in the game, by random?

I would say, instead of having 50 random variables for 50 items, categories it a little further for balance. So don't just have one event for all the items in the game entirely, but a few multiple different categories or labelled random events. You can still have the player discover some more useful items than others early on, just not in a way they become waaay overpowered.

If you have already thoughts this and have a solution, or let's say you don't level up in your horror game, then that's fine as it is.

Everything you said can be interested and work. It's just in your example it'll needs to also balance somehow too, which it may already do.

Hyouryuu-Na likes this.
  4. Hyouryuu-Na

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh I should've explained it better in the post... sorry. Actually the items aren't random. Their locations are random. Well, my game is inspired by White Day: A Labhrinth Named school. It had such a great impact on me that I shoved away my other projects to work on this. Most common items are chalk, coins and healing items. Their amonts are fixed. Here is how I have thought this out.
    At the start, 50 variables will be randomly assigned values ranging from 1-something (depends on the number of locations). If value of variable 1 is 10, then for example, a chalk will can be found inside a drawer. Then a switch will be turned on so that no other items are spawned there. It will be a little complex but I can do it... I think.

Since the number and quality of items are constant and the player just needs to fond them, I don't think there will be problems balancing anything. And there is no combat at all. It's all about stealth, running away and using your brains to solve puzzles...

atoms likes this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Hyouryuu-Na Please remember that Game Mechanics Design is not for feedback on individual, specific projects, though you can, of course, use one as an example. This means that answers may well be on-topic, but irrelevant for your game, and that is fine. All you need to do is to make sure you don't constantly steer the conversation back to your own project.

6. Harosata

Harosata Dramatic Lightning's BFF Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Reminds me of my Halloween project, with a key spawning in one of four places (and the hint changing to go with it).

For my current project, I'm thinking of loot pools, as in setting an array of numbers and having a random number determine the chest (aka potion, ether, buns). If I were to do something similar to you, I could make a second array based on what items are maxed out and subtract that from the loot table. So for example: [1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3].sample = 62.5% chalk, 25% glue, 12.5% wood, ([1,1,1,1,1,2,2,3] - [1]).sample = 66% glue, 33% wood. Or perhaps [1,2,3] for an even distribution.

Hm...based on that calculation, perhaps the array should be more like ([1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]).sample and then a case of 1..5 = wood...

Hyouryuu-Na likes this.
  7. Hyouryuu-Na

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kes sorry :( I keep forgetting that this an 'in general' thing. Will be more careful from now on.