Ranking Every Final Fantasy I remember playing (AKA: Touchfuzzy Chooses Violence)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Final Fantasy: Beloved franchise of RPG fans everywhere. We all have our opinions. Is FFVII the best? Is FFVI? First of all, neither, but never mind that.

Nearly 34 years of Final Fantasy, and I've played a lot of them. And I have opinions. So here we go. The official, Touchfuzzy rankings. I might get into the details later, but I just want to let it simmer for a bit... and let people question my sanity for a bit before I explain.

FFRank.png

Also, there are a lot of FF games that I know for certain I've played, but they left so little impact that I can't even rank them. Ones I'd put here are: Crystal Chronicles, Revenant Wings, Mystic Quest, Chocobo's Dungeon 2.

There are also ones I have vague memories of playing, but have no idea if I actually did or not. Which says something about them if I did play them.

(Also, also, I legit just have never played any of the XIII titles)

Last edited:

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
hmm No Final Fantasy Dimenson and 4 Heroes of Light eh? I think Dimensions is quite great ( I dont like dimensions 2 tho ), I like the soundtracks and the job system which remind me FFV.
4 heroes of light kinda like prototype for bravely default which is great. It's also tribute to retro rpg with good music and cute graphic.
Not playing any chocobo series except Chocobo racing lol.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree with most of this, but...IV D-tier? Seriously? And IX is NINTH?! It should be way higher. :p

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I honestly hate IX's mechanics, and it suffers massively from "Lost forevers" because of the structure of needing some weapons to make later weapons, and then you lose the associated skills as well, while pushing the limits of the PSX, which meant portions of the world would get cut off at the end of each disc (that runon sentence is terribly structured, but I'm too lazy to fix it). Also the trance system is incredibly random.

The one thing I like about IX is the story, but the only reason I managed to experience that is because I watched someone else play it. Also also: Amarant is the dumbest.

IV: Ooh look everyone continuously sacrifices themselves over and over and over ad nauseum (oh but really they weren't dead).

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You don't really need weapons to make later weapons though; if you never sell anything you'll generally have everything you need unless you're trying to collect everything (and you can usually steal weapons from bosses that save you having to synth them later). You only lose the skills on equipment if you unequip it before it's permanently learned, which I thought worked really well honestly. There was enough variety in available skills that battles were interesting, but nothing was totally useless or absolutely vital either (and come on, you have to admit that the full summon animation for the Ark eidolon was one of the coolest things on the PlayStation at the time. It was SO EXTRA).

I'm genuinely not sure how Trance was any more random than VII's limit breaks; in both cases you have a gauge that fills up as you take damage. It's just that in IX's case, the activation is automatic rather than manual and gives you a longer-lasting effect than limit breaks did (rather than a one-shot ability, it increases the damage you deal by 1.5, or 3x for Steiner, and changes some characters' unique battle mechanic to work slightly differently, like reducing the percentage of HP for Quina's eating mechanic to work)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In VII, I can save limit breaks for fights that actually matter. In IX, 99% of the time you Trance it is in a trash fight that means nothing. It isn't technically "random" but it also isn't in general useful.

Also, what I mean by "lose the skill" is that you lose the opportunity to learn a skill because you didn't have a weapon that taught it because you now can't get that weapon.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As far as I remember there is no skill that you can never get because the stuff that teaches it is always available from somewhere you have access to in the game.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
(Also, also, I legit just have never played any of the XIII titles)

Oh that's not a problem, just add a F tier at the bottom. They'll be right at home, no need to waste time playing them. :LZSwink:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As far as I remember there is no skill that you can never get because the stuff that teaches it is always available from somewhere you have access to in the game.
It's possible, I'll admit that I haven't tried to play IX in at least 15 years, so there may be some bits and pieces I'm misremembering.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh that's not a problem, just add a F tier at the bottom. They'll be right at home, no need to waste time playing them. :LZSwink:
Oh come on man, why you all gotta come for me like this

FFXIII-2 was amaaaaazing. It's like Back to the Future meets Barbie Horse Adventures.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed FFXIII as well, though the fact that Chocolina turns out to be the grown-up future version of the little Chocobo that lives in Sazh's hair was always a bit squicky.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I keep meaning to give XIII a try actually. I also just have so many unplayed games because of Steam sales that it is pretty far back on the priority list.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
XIII is an interesting set of games. Certain parts of the plot are clear as mud and never explained particularly well, but the cast is pretty likeable and the paradigm system is genuinely fun to mess with. Staggering enemies always feels rewarding.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh come on man, why you all gotta come for me like this

FFXIII-2 was amaaaaazing. It's like Back to the Future meets Barbie Horse Adventures.
Fine, fine. It can be higher up in F tier than FFXIII. If only for your amusing description of it. :D

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just tried to play Type O yesterday actually. 20+ minutes of a movie of stuff before I could even start playing that could have been 5 minutes easily if they had gotten to the point and not drawn out everything, and the first boss stun locked me to death. Not sure how that got so high a rank. Maybe you got luckier than I did.

Granted I also played the PC port which is known to be trash too. Maybe PS4 is a little better.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just tried to play Type O. 20+ minutes of a movie of stuff before I could even start playing that could have been 5 minutes easily if they had gotten to the point and not drawn out everything, and the first boss stun locked me to death. Not sure how that got so high a rank. Maybe you got luckier than I did.

Granted I also played the PC port which is known to be trash too. Maybe PS4 is a little better.
The game has... OK mechanics, but the story and world are really interesting. Like, what is happening and why it is happening is like a step above what most Final Fantasy are IMO.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Gotcha. I was interested in the story but I couldn't get past boss 1 with the stun locking so had to quit. Maybe if I can get a ps4 version dirt cheap as per forum posts the PC version is awful and often refuses to load and/or loses your save. And it can often stop working after a windows update and Square takes months to roll out a patch when that happens.

That has to be the best explanation of FF13-2 I've ever heard.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Type 0 is pretty much the only one I haven't finished yet.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Type 0 is pretty much the only one I haven't finished yet.
Get it on anything BUT the PC. Square has pretty much abandoned the PC port of that one.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Get it on anything BUT the PC. Square has pretty much abandoned the PC port of that one.
I have it on PS4. It's not that I don't have it, I just haven't gotten into it enough to finish. I think I've played like 20 minutes of it. :p

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also, I won't spoil the opening cutscene, and I know it was a cheap trick, but man the opening cutscene of Type-0 hit hard.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There are so many coding terms that are complete gibberish to me. Like what the heck is "Return" or "Array"??
Sometimes I forget how tiny and fun working in 16x16 is (or with 18x18 if ya counting the white outline LOL) and before you ask Yes. Yes this is an appropriate ratio of drinks to all the other stuff. :popcorn:
f37ac128dedc8a53af7deb2b12e8ea81becf6e46.png
Phew, sleep all day, awake all night. I don't know what to draw tonight!

Does that count as poetry? ..Is there a super fast way to test my creations in RPG Maker? Has anyone played the new Pokémon games? I'm itching to buy it but I don't think my husband will want me to after he finds out how much I spent on Christmas!
When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dusk_13