Ranking Every Final Fantasy I remember playing (AKA: Touchfuzzy Chooses Violence)

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll maybe give it another shot.

Oh also now that I think about it I think it's Xbox One I have it on. Which is probably why I never played it again; I only fire up my Xbone for Rock Band these days.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One thing I will say about Type-0. Switch the audio to Japanese. The English voice acting is... uh... yeah.

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm more disturbed by how accurate this list is to my own tastes. Especially the placement of the Tactics games - PS1 Tactics is honestly an amazing game all around whereas A2 is surprisingly decent despite its writing problems... but Tactics Advance, like. Man.

The law system in that game is so bad it slaughters the replayability, and I would have enjoyed the "anti-isekai isekai" writing more if Marche had a real point beyond just "fantasy is bad". As it is, he's kind of a dum dum.

To see FF6 at B and FF7 at A is adequate, though FF4 being at the bottom is... yes I understand but did you have to say it like that? :LZSlol:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm more disturbed by the fact of how accurate this list is to my own tastes. Especially the placement of the Tactics games - PS1 Tactics is honestly an amazing game all around whereas A2 is surprisingly decent despite its writing problems... but Tactics Advance, like. Man.

The law system in that game is so bad it slaughters the replayability, and I would have enjoyed the "anti-isekai isekai" writing more if Marche had a real point beyond just "fantasy is bad". As it is, he's kind of a dum dum.

To see FF6 at B and FF7 at A is adequate, though FF4 being at the bottom is... yes I understand but did you have to say it like that? :LZSlol:
It's especially bad when pretty much every battle ends up being "Oh and today the illegal thing is whatever would make this battle anything less than a slogfest battle of attrition!"

And also the fact that nobody on earth has a hope in hell of actually putting the locations in the optimal position without a guide, and even then it's dicey.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I honestly have never understood the fandom-wide love for VII. Aside from it being the first Final Fantasy that many people of a certain generation played...how is it very good? The graphics were certainly terrible compared to any of the high-end pixel art at the end of the SNES, the skill system was very similar to a number of the other titles and not really better than any of them...do people legitimately love the story that much?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I honestly have never understood the fandom-wide love for VII. Aside from it being the first Final Fantasy that many people of a certain generation played...how is it very good? The graphics were certainly terrible compared to any of the high-end pixel art at the end of the SNES, the skill system was very similar to a number of the other titles and not really better than any of them...do people legitimately love the story that much?
I mean, it wasn't my first Final Fantasy (1 was my first FF), but...

1. Yes, I do like the story quite a lot. I think some things are a bit lost in translation (the English version translation is... spotty), but I found the world, plot, characters, and especially the themes interesting.
2. The gameplay encouraged you to customize your characters quite a lot. Yes, characters TENDED to be better in certain areas, but it wasn't nearly as rigid as the FFs we got before that. We didn't get V stateside until much later, so this was the first time that it felt pretty open (1 had you locked in once you picked at the beginning, 4 had set characters, 6 special skills for each character pretty much dominated what they were good at).
3. Making combos with Blue Materia was fun!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Graphically what you need to remember is that although it was terrible by the standards of today's 3D, it was the first non-2D FF title in the entire series, and I think one of the first 3D RPGs. Daggerfall came first, but I don't think that had as much influence on the direction the genre progressed in after the 90s.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Daggerfall came first, but I don't think that had as much influence on the direction the genre progressed in after the 90s.
Daggerfall also used like, Doom style 3D with sprite based characters, not true 3D.

Honestly FFVII, even at the time was not exactly a great looking game. Like, the prerendered backgrounds were gorgeous but the non-battle models were a travesty.

That said I don't remember thinking it was "meh, but not actively detracting from the experience" at the time. I do remember being super impressed by the cutscenes way back then.

But compared to games that were a mix of 2D/3D that came out around the same time, which did it the other way (3d enviroment, 2d sprites), graphically games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Xenogears have aged so much better.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you put it under that specific lens, I wouldn't disagree with anything that you've said here.

I was 13 when 7 came out, and it released just after I had gotten into FF6 (3, back then at my video rental shop) and Chrono Trigger. I was really into those two games. The fact that 7 was not only the direct successor to 6, but was also on a brand new system, made me very enthusiastic about it at that age.

If you were to ask me what my top 5 RPGs are, right this moment from an objective standpoint, 7 wouldn't make the cut. Actually, the only FF title to do so might be Tactics.

But, if you were to ask me which games I really remember fondly or have great memories of, 7 would definitely be on that list.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is that in retrospect, your points stick. But at the time, it was a special game for a lot of people; and that nostalgia is easy to underestimate when people create these sorts of lists.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you were to ask me what my top 5 RPGs are, right this moment from an objective standpoint, 7 wouldn't make the cut. Actually, the only FF title to do so might be Tactics.
Actually, same. I think FF has been a consistently above average series with a few standout games, but the only one that would break my top 10 RPGs would be FFT.

I'm not even sure FFVII would barely be in my top 5 RPGs just on the PSX. The PSX was stacked for RPGs.

FFT, BoFIII, Suikoden II, Xenogears would all rank higher, then FFVII at like 5.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One reason IX is on the top of my list is that my fondest FF memory is walking by a shop in 2001 and seeing the Evil Forest FMV (where Zidane and co are running away from plant spiders) in a window display and my jaw just hit the floor. It was so much more fluid and dynamic than the cutscenes from VIII.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree with your list as well, I didn't play a lot of the spinoffs.
I don't really like FF 13, I found it WAY too linear. I really wanted to like it.
I think storywise I liked 10 best, everything just seemed to be explained and made sense to me, unlike some of the previous titles.
Anyway, my son is obsessed with Final Fantasy anything so I am constantly burned out from the series lol, my favorite square enix title would be the newest dragon quest, I really liked that game. I hope they use that as a reference for a new final fantasy but the new trailers suggest something very different.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Yes, I do like the story quite a lot. I think some things are a bit lost in translation (the English version translation is... spotty), but I found the world, plot, characters, and especially the themes interesting.
Fair enough! For me, I dislike goofy/cheesy characters (even though they are a mainstay of almost all JRPGs to some degree), and FF7 has several. I'm also not interested in the sort of...industrial fantasy? theme.
2. The gameplay encouraged you to customize your characters quite a lot...6 special skills for each character pretty much dominated what they were good at).
You think so? I recall only a couple of characters from 6 whose specials got frequent use (mostly Sabin, then Elgar and Celes less) - everyone else's unique abilities I found to be usually less useful than the stuff I could learn from esper items.
Graphically what you need to remember is that although it was terrible by the standards of today's 3D, it was the first non-2D FF title in the entire series, and I think one of the first 3D RPGs. Daggerfall came first, but I don't think that had as much influence on the direction the genre progressed in after the 90s.
Certainly it was the first mainstream one! But even at the time, I was horribly unimpressed with the early Playstation 3D graphics. Games like FF7 and Tekken I thought were a distinct step backwards from good 2D art...it was using technology for the sake of itself. Obviously, other people are impressed with that in ways I'm not, which is fine.
Actually, same. I think FF has been a consistently above average series with a few standout games, but the only one that would break my top 10 RPGs would be FFT.
For me (without having carefully thought through such a list), I suspect Tactics, 6, and 12 would all be on there.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Fair enough! For me, I dislike goofy/cheesy characters (even though they are a mainstay of almost all JRPGs to some degree), and FF7 has several.
This is kind of curious to me because I honestly feel like VI has goofier characters than VII.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Damn straight, FF Tactics is S-tier. And I'm still baffled that FF14 is as good as it is for a MMO. <3

VCraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
As a big FF Fan I appreciate topics like this one :smile:

I completed my first FF game over 20 years ago, FFVII, and then completed all the main ones (except MMO).

My personal Rank:
S-Tier DFFOO, FFVII, FFIX, FFX
A-Tier FFIV, FFVI, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIII (including FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns), FFXV, FFT, FFRK
B-Tier FFX-2, FFI, FFII, FFV
C-Tier FFBE, FFIII

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never heard anyone put both X-2 and XIV above, like, everything else. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'd put IV at the top, hands down.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
FF IV, VI-X are masterpieces, every thing else is nice to have, but not a must play.

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is kind of a hard one for me, honestly. Part of it is that the most recent one I played was X-2, and part of it is that the one I played most recently was VI about four years ago. Lemme see…

» Final Fantasy VI — There’s almost nothing about this game that I don’t like. The characters, the story, the ability to put whoever you want in the party, even the Bad Guys™ were memorable. Top tier, full stop.

» Final Fantasy I — The wide open world once you get the airship and character flexibility make this game. Want to run four Red Mages? Rather solo with a Black Belt? You do you! The story was a bit sparse but there was enough to get the idea across, especially given hardware limitations.

» Final Fantasy Tactics — My first foray into tactical RPGs, and it made a lasting impression. (Also Hitoshi Sakimoto became my favorite composer with this game, and has remained so ever since.)

» Final Fantasy V — I liked the flexibility the job mechanic gave, it helped made up for the lack of playable characters. The way they handled the two worlds was an interesting way to go about it. This one may have landed a notch higher if I’d gotten to play it more than twice.

» Final Fantasy IV — Repeated attempted martyrdom got a bit old, but it’s one of my favorite stories in the series overall. I mainly didn’t like that you were stuck with specific character builds for long swaths of the game.

» Final Fantasy X — One problem I had with VII and X was how little wiggle room you had on so many maps. The story and a character advancement system eschewing levels puts this ahead of the VII for me. (Also I may or may not have been addicted to blitzball. <.< >.> <.<; )

» Final Fantasy VII — This might have ranked higher if my rose-colored glasses weren’t cracked, honestly. I did appreciate being able to swap characters out more or less at will, and the flexibility of character setups almost lands it ahead of FFX (and some days it even does).

» Final Fantasy IX — Too much about too many character backgrounds made this feel like a very gloomy game for me. I didn’t care for its skill learning system, either, and having the parties set by the plot for extended periods also irked me.

» Final Fantasy II — I actually really like what I remember of it. It would probably rank a bit higher if I had gotten to play it more before the console died (and took the game with it). -.-

» Final Fantasy Mystic Quest — Despite how much I loved the first game, playing this one almost made me pass on Final Fantasy II (as FFIV was originally released over here). The music was good, but the only really memorable character to me was Tristan.

» Final Fantasy X-2 — The class change mechanic felt too much like a glorified dress-up doll system to me, and I couldn’t get interested enough in the plot to make it past the first chapter.

I never got to play FFVIII, alas, and only ever saw someone else play the first ten or so minutes of the game. FFXI and upward I don’t even know the plot for. Individual sequels and spinoffs (aside from FFT) never really pinged my radar, and I readily admit that X-2 didn’t help with that. So yeah. That’s my list.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

There are so many coding terms that are complete gibberish to me. Like what the heck is "Return" or "Array"??
Sometimes I forget how tiny and fun working in 16x16 is (or with 18x18 if ya counting the white outline LOL) and before you ask Yes. Yes this is an appropriate ratio of drinks to all the other stuff. :popcorn:
f37ac128dedc8a53af7deb2b12e8ea81becf6e46.png
Phew, sleep all day, awake all night. I don't know what to draw tonight!

Does that count as poetry? ..Is there a super fast way to test my creations in RPG Maker? Has anyone played the new Pokémon games? I'm itching to buy it but I don't think my husband will want me to after he finds out how much I spent on Christmas!
When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaxDotCombo