Ranking Every Final Fantasy I remember playing (AKA: Touchfuzzy Chooses Violence)

VCraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Other
I've never heard anyone put both X-2 and XIV above, like, everything else.
Final Fantasy V — I liked the flexibility the job mechanic gave, it helped made up for the lack of playable characters.
Final Fantasy X-2 — The class change mechanic felt too much like a glorified dress-up doll system to me, and I couldn’t get interested enough in the plot to make it past the first chapter.
FFX-2 is the most recent Final Fantasy game that I experienced.
All I can say the game is not as bad as some/many people say.
Sure, there were two things that I didn't like about the game. Such as:
1. Requirements for 100% completion (Such idea/feature is not bad I think, but its exact implementation, the facts that if you miss something you can't replay a chapter; you can't check exact % during the playthrough; and all the dialogues should not be skipped in order to achieve 100% - such requirements were not enjoyable to say at least).
2. A bit silly sense of humor during the story and a bit silly character design (though sometimes that silliness made me smile).
Other than that, the rest was mostly enjoyable experience for me.
Overall I put the gameplay above the story, so I really enjoyed playing the game due to great diversity that it gives when it comes to battles. The battle system was great. It's similar to FFV, so if you liked FFV, you might like FFX-2 if you give it another chance :smile:

Last edited:

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i will always say FF7 is #1 and while i've WANTED to love the critically acclaimed FFtactics, everytime i've attempted playing it on multiple systems i never got far, my last attempt last year i got maybe 2 hours into the story before dropping it once again *sigh* for me but not mad at your choices

the real shocker here for me is FF8, usually 8 is 1-2 spots away from FF7 in either direction with most people but to see 8 dead last i just have to know....is it the overly confusing timey-wimey witch stuff that killed it for you or the whole laguna side adventure that ultimately amounts to nothing?

i played 8, i loved 8 for certain aspects (mainly Zell being the coolest guy ever), but never beat it because i made it to ultimecia's castle (the VERY END of the game smh) and that whole removing all your options except "attack" and you have to kill weapons in the castle to unlock magic, items, etc. was ENTIRELY too much for me and i gave up.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
VIII is a mechanically horrid mess. Like not even touching the ridiculously and unnecessarily convoluted plot, the mechanics just kill it for me.

The draw junction system just encourages hoarding rather than actually using magic. A lot of the most efficient ways to play involve sitting and drawing from the same enemy over and over and over and over again until you have enough to junction for a high stat. The enemy scaling means that you are better off not leveling, because being super low level and just junctioning well will make you WAY stronger relative to the enemies than leveling and junctioning well. The way the iteration of limit breaks work (can't remember the actual name for them in VIII), means that running your heavy hitters in the yellow all the time on HP is stupidly powerful.

The only thing mechanically that came out of VIII that was good was Triple Triad.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I replay the FF series around every 5 years starting from FF1 to whatever the current title is (not counting MMOs even though I have played them). I’ll just list my top 5 so that I don’t make a post that is too long to read. :D

1: Final Fantasy Tactics – Best story and great gameplay. I don’t want to delve into the story because if anyone hasn’t played it they really should and I don’t want to spoil anything. I can have fun in this game just getting into a random encounter and using accelerate to get JP to unlock more jobs.

2: FFVI – Amazing story with a really interesting character-building system using Espers to dictate how you want to build each character because normal levels don’t actually raise any stats without an Esper equipped. But this does make you want to rush to the Esper unlocking part of the story to make sure early levels aren’t wasted with 0 stat increases.

3: FFX – Great Story with a cool leveling system in the Sphere Grid only marred by the fact that once you get to end game you are just giving everyone everything. I really like how Tidus is just a summon, he is the only one you can name just like the other Aeons and he would be mostly associated with Water element which there are no other Aeons with that element.

4: FFVII – I don’t know if I should just keep mentioning how the stories are great, but this is another one. Materia system is really cool, but the downside of this game is everyone is homogenized so just like how in FFX everyone ends up getting everything but in FFVII this is basically from the start where at least in FFX the characters are distinct until you start overpowering them at the end game.

5: FF1 Origins – This might be a controversial opinion but FF1 still stands up as great RPG. I grew up playing this on NES but Origins has better graphics and fixes skills that flat out didn’t work on the NES version while also keeping the same difficulty. I just recently replayed this while doing a solo character challenge beating the game as a solo Red Mage and I had a blast. While the story is minimal the gameplay is fun, and the dungeons are challenging with the variety of enemies that can make a simple random encounter into a life or death situation.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm listening to iiluminaughtii talking about the secrets behind shady businesses and scams. Meanwhile I'm writing a fanfic about Sephiroth from FF7, one specifically for my stepmom. I'll get to give it to her, too, because my boss said I could take the holidays off! Dec. 22-27 I will be in Orlando, and maybe Fort Myers too, visiting my dad and stepmom!
Of course, I bought a handful of games on the Steam Black Friday sale. Will I try them? Will I complete any? Who knows...
I don't really have any neat updates today about how I screwed up programming... But if you want to observe the intensenes of me programming, then you can check out my stream :)
New Weapons.gif
No more spam from me today, I promise! Just wanted to upload this, people have been giving me feedback that my weapon sprites (which were RTP) clashed badly with my battlers for ages, so today I finally took the plunge and updated them! Really happy with how they came out :D :D
So Facebook fraudulently took money from me. They even went through my PayPal accounts to find a card that had the money on it. Thinking about deleting my Facebook account because this doesn't happen on twitter, not even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gumi16