Ranking Systems through Leveling Up

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by forgetful--prince, Dec 6, 2015.

1. forgetful--prince

forgetful--prince I Wanna Be The Very Best Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello!

I am new to posting on the forum so please bear with me.

I am trying to do a ranking system. Here are the mechanics:

Every 10 levels that an actor goes up, they go through ranks.

The ranks are 

Unranked = Lvl 1- 10

F = Lvl 11 - 20

E = Lvl 21 - 30

D = Lvl 31 - 40

C = Lvl 41 - 50

B - Lvl 51 - 60

A = Lvl 61 - 70

S = Lvl 71 - 80

SS = Lvl 81 - 90

SSS = Lvl 91 - 99

I've tried variables and common events but I don't know how to actually get it working.

I did the variable tutorial and I still don't understand. I really need help with this.

If not, is there a script tactic I can use? 

Thank you so much :c

Marsigne likes this.
  2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    From now on, post topics like this in the appropriate "Support" forum so we know which Maker you are working with.  Game Mechanics Design is not for "how-to" questions, but rather for conceptual discussion (it can be a little confusing).

This should be pretty easy to do - there is an event command in most Makers called "Control Variables" and an option under that to set a variable to "Game Data".  Then you choose an Actor's Level.  So if you want to know Aluxes' level, you would set a variable of your choosing (let's pick Variable #12) to "Aluxes' Level" using Control Variables.

Now that we have stored his Level in a variable, we can use the Conditional Branch event command to display an appropriate message based on the variable.  The first branch would be: "If Variable 12 is less than or equal to 10" - and inside this branch, you will want to show a message: "Aluxes is Unranked".  The second branch would be: "If Variable 12 is greater than 10" and inside that you will need a second conditional: "If Variable 12 is less than or equal to 20" because they must both be true; inside the second branch will be a message "Aluxes is Rank F".  The third branch would be "If Var 12 is > 20" and insdie that "If Var 12 is <= 30" and the message would be "Aluxes is Rank E".  And so on.

You can put this in any event you want, including an event on the map that you can interact with.  If you want to put it in a Common Event, you will need to call the Common Event from another event using the "Call Common Event" event command.  If you want to display the rank as part of a menu, rather than a message box, then you will need to either learn scripting (RGSS or JavaScript, based on the Maker), or make a request in "Scripts Requests" or "Plugins Requests".

forgetful--prince likes this.
  3. forgetful--prince

forgetful--prince I Wanna Be The Very Best Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am going to try this now! Thank you so much!

EDIT 12/17: Sorry for the wait. I put it in the common event, it works!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015