ssunlimited

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So i was just wondering, how do create a good way to challenge people to get rare items? Finding them through chests, buying them from a shop and winning them through fights isn't really challenging. Synthesizing them is one great way I think.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it really depends on the "feel" of your game. Just buying stuff from a shop tends to be one of the less inspired methods for that kind of thing. Having them as chest rewards works well *if* said chest is carefully hidden or requires exploration/puzzle solving to get.

The good thing about doing it via synthesis is that you can whet the player's appetite from the very get-go by showing them that they *can* have the shiny new toy, but gate it behind materials they don't have the ability to acquire until the point where you want them to be able to have the loot.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Winning them through fights could be challenging. Having hidden bosses, or just 'super' bosses, that offer rare loot for beating them isn't uncommon.

Optional puzzles is another way.

Creating secrets with great rewards can be fun and rewarding for the player as long as the secrets are not so obscure that the player needs outside reference to find them.

Having them as chest rewards works well *if* said chest is carefully hidden or requires exploration/puzzle solving to get.
This ^^

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's best if they're rewards for showing mastery over the different game mechanics. Having one item be the most expensive item in a rare shop, one require lots of crafting, one found through exploration of a dungeon (maybe one early in the game that couldn't be accessed earlier to reward players who go back), one through a challenging boss, etc

For stuff like party member exclusive ultimate weapons, tying them to a side story that revolves around that character makes it much more interesting regardless of the actual task to get it, as well, so even if it's something basic like purchasing from a shop, framing it through a storyline could still make it fun

RoseReveries

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can also do a Zelda and make the items require completion/high scores in tough minigames too, or mastery of a certain skill (like, if you have an outside of combat skill that unlocks new areas such as destroying boulders).

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sort of going for the classic MMORPG drop rate combined with a gacha pity system. It's kind of lazy in a way, but I want players to optimize how they run repeatable dungeons and get better as they do them. Each time the defeat a boss, the rate at which items drop from that boss will increase next time you run it. This effect accumulates up til a certain percentage and is permanent.

duty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
A treasure chest is a viable option, if the chest is a challenge to reach.

Other options could be:
  • Side-quest reward
  • "Stolen" from an enemy during battle with a skill
  • Battle reward if the encounter is completed in a certain way

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, In my game which resembles D&D Styled Tower Climb, I prefer to let Player encounter Elite Monsters every once in a while. These Elite Monsters are meant to be much harder than Regular Monsters and are like "Mini Bosses".

They have a "%" Chance to drop Rares. So Players actually have to work hard for their Rares and if lucky they get it. I dislike giving away Rare Equipment as Treasure Chests, Lets your Player take them for granted. Let them work for it >:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yaaay! My second public script is out and approved! A VX Ace Final Fantasy IX styled Throw Script!

I look forward to all the constructive feedback I get but most importantly I hope everyone who ends up using it enjoys!

Yaaaay! Making scripts is fun lol. :D
When you're lost out therrrrre and you're alllll alone, ahwahwah waitin, to carry you hooooommmme, uhhheverywhere you look! (someone hit me with those backing vocals)
X.X cant focus... too many thing want do... help!
Day 2 of teaching MV, student can move cat across the map.
Got inspired and started writing a simple tower defence battle system last night :o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr