Mesonyx

That Guy Who Made That One Thing
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
[We Were made to Perish review]
Thanks for the review!

And I absolutely agree with your critiques (and so have several other people) -- slow starting pace, linear levels and the annoying removal of dashing.

All three of these were implemented due to time constraints (dashing caused a weird bug with stealth that I didn't have time solve) and will be rectified in the final version -- exploration, for example, was cut to ensure judges got through the entire game with time to spare.

As far as the slow intro -- do you think additional chase sequences in each nightmare would adequately liven things up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for the review!

And I absolutely agree with your critiques (and so have several other people) -- slow starting pace, linear levels and the annoying removal of dashing.

All three of these were implement due to time constraints (dashing caused a weird bug with stealth that I didn't have time solve) and will be rectified from the final version -- exploration, for example, was cut to ensure judges got through the entire game with time to spare.

As far as the slow intro -- do you think additional chase sequences in each nightmare would adequately liven things up?
I never submitted a review for your game did I.....Anyway no point in repeating what everyone else has said, and it has been a few weeks since I played it, so it's just gonna be a mini-review.

The pacing was slow at the beginning, but once the game proper started it was very enjoyable. The story was a little bleak, and normally I can't stand that (not one for unhappy stories in general, unhappy moments are fine but generally unhappy stories don't work for me normally) but it was well enough done that I enjoyed it. On the bold point you made I think that would be helpful.

I would like to see a little more backstory, there is a lot of story there that is just hinted upon, I think the game could be expanded. 4/5 Best game I have played from the contest simply on the merits of it's story, could be great with better gameplay.

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
I can't see it hurting, but as with all things use it in moderation

First of all, thanks for playing the game. By what you say I can only guess you didn't like the game because of the long battles and what you feel is a lack of character development.

Battles are done like that on purpose: we thought it would be better to have a short game with tactical battles against bosses instead of endless random battles to fill up your time. It's ok if you didn't like them, though. As you said in your other review, if you are a dasher then maybe this game concept won't be to your liking.

I'll take into consideration what you think about the character development, as maybe we tried too hard to keep inside the concept (a short story unfolding through player discovery with boss fights as the main game mechanic) and got lost in the way.

Thanks for the feedback ^_^
No problem, not everyone is going to like everything, it'd be a boring world if they did. Yes my biggest issues is lack of characterisation in both front and back story. I don't feel like I got beyond, this is a party of high level out to defeat the bosses in regard to who they were at the moment and I didn't get much in regard to how and why they became those people. Perhaps I was expecting too much, it was only an hour game after all, and it didn't fit with the central concept as outlined.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Quick! Someone give me a snake pun about moving.
Meet the crew...Arrrr!
Who knew modern medieval was an actual music genre? I don't know what the youtube algorithms are doing but for once they found something actually fascinating:
Yay! Got 3 new frying pans, its weird, but I'm so happy about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rai1209