Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Reviewing & writing as I play it:

Darkness of Hope

After downloading, the first thing I notice is that the game's folder is simply called "Project" as opposed to Darkness of Hope. It also forces me to install a font to be able to play the game. Not a great start.

Starting the game, I can immediately tell work has been put into it and that it's obviously been influenced by Square-Enix type games. I actually find these kinds of title screens annoying, though, because they force me to scroll through each option to see what's available. Also there doesn't seem to be an automatic full screen feature.

The introductory video is gorgeous, although I can see some jpeg distortion in the background and there are some major grammar & spelling errors, which brings me to wonder how this "video" was made. Is it actually in RPG Maker or am I watched a pre-processed video? Random names are thrown at me and I can't keep up with the text. Something about a prince and a war, okay.

Oh, okay, now I see it. English isn't the first language of the game's producer. Fair enough, but rather distracting. They could've had someone proof-read the content.

Moving through doors is done rather strangely... By using "Transfer Player" and fading the screen in and out. Takes me out of the game.

Oh God, I can't skip through text with the Enter key. I have to wait for it to finish writing, and I'm a fast reader.

Now being sent to talk to random characters. Went back upstairs. Aaaand a cutscene is playing that should've happened before talking to mom and dad. Not enough attention paid to the proper order of events and switches I see.

Why do the character sprites keep re-appearing with every line of dialogue? Sloppy eventing/scripting right there.

WALLS OF TEXT.

Oh good, something happens! I have to enter a password within a certain amount of time. That would've been interesting if I hadn't spent the entire countdown trying to figure out what I was supposed to do, lol.

Wow, this dungeon level is empty. There's no mapping done at all.

Okay, going to stop there. The battle system is gorgeous and so is the movie at the beginning, but the rest of the game is sloppy, empty and lackluster. Makes me wonder if the battle system is just a copy & paste from an RPG Maker forum and someone was hired for the video at the beginning... By the HUGE credits list the game as, I'm going to assume the latter unfortunately. The story has a very innocent charm, though, so I feel bad for giving it such a low score...

2/5

If anyone wants to play and review my game Stormblood, I will happily play your game and review it! <3 <3 <3

(http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/186#.U7Pp85RdWSo)

I'm going to take you up on that. ;) My game's link is in my signature

Stormblood

Is the title screen a random image from Google that was spray-painted red at the bottom with paint and had the title added at the top? It looks like Papyrus as the font but not sure. The music is extremely epic; I'm assuming it was bought from a website royalty-free.

Okay a picture of a book but I can't read it. Need to press Enter? Yup.

Oooh, voice-overs. Yay! That usually means more attention has been paid to the dialogue. And nice, I don't have to click to proceed through dialogue. Auto-playing cutscenes are the best. Little bit of humor, nice. But my god, that screen tint is terrible. Is it supposed to be evening? If so you should desaturate the screen a bit and add some blue, not put the entire screen tint down.

Menu system is standard, that's okay. I recognize that quest script; I commissioned it for XP back in 2011, ha. The picture at the top of the quest screen's a bit too big, I needlessly have to scroll down.

How are these guards not noticing the protagonists standing 5 tiles to the left of them? Ha.

Oh God this first battle is sooo long. Why don't all the attacks just deal more damage? Or lower everyone's HP. Literally just spamming attacks for a while... 

I'm not exactly sure what's going on now. Are the characters still fighting or what? Oh yay another battle 5 seconds later. The exact same battle. Oh thank God, this battle is shorter.

Miss-punctuation... And another battle. Which is probably going to be followed by the "boss battle" right away. Am I right? Yep, I'm right. Not my kind of game, which isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of battle-battle-battle-etc. if the battle system is nothing new.

Oh cute, the save crystal has flavor text. Flavor text is good.

LOL "Are you suspicious?" "Um.. No.." <3

Oh nice, you can change your form and drain NPCs blood. I like that. But events just suddenly disappeared before I went into the castle.

Omg LOL all these guards say the same line but in a different way. That's genius. "Domini Oculatum Brother"? I almost want to keep talking to them to find an Easter Egg...lol.

Oh, who is doing Titus' voice? I like his voice. VoiceBunny usage?

Going to give this gaaaame...

2.5/5

Love the effort put into the voices and the humor, otherwise I can't really tell it apart from the other 500 RMVX games. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Aesparia - the Fallen

With the atmospheric music at the beginning, I was straight into the mood of the game.  And then found that was it - mood, but little story.  No character development (tricky in just one hour max, but not impossible) so that all I seemed to be left with was wandering around having battles.  Battles are fine, but not when they're undiluted by anything else.  Some things I couldn't see the point of.  I got huge amounts of money, but I never found anything to spend it on, so either I missed something or it was a pointless extra.  The battle system is interesting, but a short game like this meant that learning all the business of the runes, and scrolls and scribing etc. had to be compressed into too short a time, so that it felt a bit indigestible.  Because of the way I play, I tried interacting with everything, but that didn't get me very far, so another avenue of player engagement seems closed off.  Maybe I gave up on that too soon.

If this were part of a bigger game (which it feels like already, tbh) then I think it has a lot of potential.  As it is, it felt unsatisfying.

3/5

Empiron

Shield Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Stormblood

Is the title screen a random image from Google that was spray-painted red at the bottom with paint and had the title added at the top? It looks like Papyrus as the font but not sure. The music is extremely epic; I'm assuming it was bought from a website royalty-free.

Okay a picture of a book but I can't read it. Need to press Enter? Yup.

Oooh, voice-overs. Yay! That usually means more attention has been paid to the dialogue. And nice, I don't have to click to proceed through dialogue. Auto-playing cutscenes are the best. Little bit of humor, nice. But my god, that screen tint is terrible. Is it supposed to be evening? If so you should desaturate the screen a bit and add some blue, not put the entire screen tint down.

Menu system is standard, that's okay. I recognize that quest script; I commissioned it for XP back in 2011, ha. The picture at the top of the quest screen's a bit too big, I needlessly have to scroll down.

How are these guards not noticing the protagonists standing 5 tiles to the left of them? Ha.

Oh God this first battle is sooo long. Why don't all the attacks just deal more damage? Or lower everyone's HP. Literally just spamming attacks for a while... 

I'm not exactly sure what's going on now. Are the characters still fighting or what? Oh yay another battle 5 seconds later. The exact same battle. Oh thank God, this battle is shorter.

Miss-punctuation... And another battle. Which is probably going to be followed by the "boss battle" right away. Am I right? Yep, I'm right. Not my kind of game, which isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of battle-battle-battle-etc. if the battle system is nothing new.

Oh cute, the save crystal has flavor text. Flavor text is good.

LOL "Are you suspicious?" "Um.. No.." <3

Oh nice, you can change your form and drain NPCs blood. I like that. But events just suddenly disappeared before I went into the castle.

Omg LOL all these guards say the same line but in a different way. That's genius. "Domini Oculatum Brother"? I almost want to keep talking to them to find an Easter Egg...lol.

Oh, who is doing Titus' voice? I like his voice. VoiceBunny usage?

Going to give this gaaaame...

2.5/5

Love the effort put into the voices and the humor, otherwise I can't really tell it apart from the other 500 RMVX games. :)
Thanks for the review! I am downloading yours now as i'm writing this ;)

Regarding the first battle i agree maybe they do have a bit too much hp, its finding a balance between making fights short and not too mind numbingly easy.

Most of the month I spent getting the voices story and dialogue and maybe less on the combat unfortunately! Hoping to make lots of changes and release the game commercially.

The guy who voices Titus is a friend of mine, we are all Theatre Actors and he usually plays the old men in our plays hahaha. But he does have a great old man voice, I told him he should go into professional voice acting.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Painted Heart

Cute title screen, but a bit long. Should be able to skip it.

Okay the artwork looks really bad now. I'm going to assume that's intentional to create a contrast for when the "real graphics" kick in... And the priest doesn't have his Move Animation turned on when he walks away. Intentional? I'm keeping my hopes up. Oh wait. The movement animation is just really bad.

What is up with this font? It's a pain to read.

Ooh, singing. Cute. Wow, these credits take a long time. I almost feel like turning off the game. I have a feeling the creators thought it's pretty amazing though, with that music.

HA, knew it. Graphics were crap at the beginning intentionally. Looking better now. Much better.

Ah, such charming characters! Love it.

DAAA--- This elemental chart. Really? I have to memorize that for a 1 hour game? Way to build a proper learning curve. Also can't agree with "Mind over Spirit over Body over Mind". I'm sure there's supposed to be a moral in there, but meh. This tutorial is long and confusing. I thought my tutorial was already too long.

... I have no idea what I'm doing. Just going to do random attacks until I win. I'm sure the battle system is fine, but it should've been introduced one step at a time instead of throwing a tutorial book at the player. This is a prime example of how NOT to introduce your battle system to the player. The game's producer should watch Extra Credits on Youtube.

Not a fan of the white canvas picture around the screen. I get the idea and it looks good on a screenshot, but it's annoying in motion. Like a dead pixel on my PSP.

Oh yay, I get to walk back and slowly, too. Now that the novelty of the art style is wearing off that's a bit annoying.

No jumping animation? That seems a bit lazy for a game that relies on its graphics.

I forgot the elements already. Getting a better understanding of the battle system now but it's no use because I don't know what attacks are most effective. In all honesty the battle system isn't even that complicated, it's just presented in a complicated way. And what's up with the weird controls? This isn't an action game, it's an RPG. The standard VX/XP animations also clash with the original art style.

... what am I supposed to do now? Paint the bridge? There's nothing to do.

Aaand quit. Total style over substance game. Charming characters, charming graphics, but sloppy execution and gameplay. Such a shame.

2.5/5

Thanks for the review! I am downloading yours now as i'm writing this  ;)

Regarding the first battle i agree maybe they do have a bit too much hp, its finding a balance between making fights short and not too mind numbingly easy.

Most of the month I spent getting the voices story and dialogue and maybe less on the combat unfortunately! Hoping to make lots of changes and release the game commercially.

The guy who voices Titus is a friend of mine, we are all Theatre Actors and he usually plays the old men in our plays hahaha. But he does have a great old man voice, I told him he should go into professional voice acting.
Thank you! Any feedback would help me improve the game for its post-judging release. ^_^ e.g. beta testers loved the forest level, but so far every review I've read says the opposite. It's quite interesting.

Just finished Unraveled.

What a wonderful game. I felt I was playing something I bought off steam. The presentation of the game is nostalgic, I was thrown back to the SNES era to play something I enjoyed on a saturday morning. From the animated (and emotional) sprites, to the well placed and spirited music; the effort put into these aspects were marvelous and creative. The storyline at first felt a little out of place, but it soon fixed itself into Cinnamon's wonderful imagination which had the most impact for me personally. The quiet narritive can be a little hard to figure out, but it adds so much charm that if done otherwise it would probably hurt the game. The story did feel lacking somewhat at the end, despite it's emotional outpouring. It felt a little rushed, but the way that it lends itself at the end to start a new game, that was absolutely priceless. Whosever idea was that, deserves a pat on the back.

The gameplay of the game carries absolutely well with the presentation of the game. A few of the games I've seen and some that I've played, the gameplay mechanics don't seem to match the game they're projecting. This however isn't the case with Unraveled. The gameplay gave a sense of exploration and adventure inside the mind of Cinnamon. And it absolutely felt like a throwback to Tomb Raider and even Prince of Persia, with a twist of, dare I say, Dora the Explorer. Despite it's great mechanics, some of this awesome adventure bits was easily slowed down by some areas which jumping areas were hard to figure out, despite the indications that were shown. Some areas also seemed to rush the exploration in order to continue the story, in which in return seem to rush the game.

Another aspect of the gameplay was the battles. The State Balance System is unique and very well made. However, despite it's unique and well-contructed system, it felt out of place with the game, in terms of terminology used. "Focus" and "Rage" weren't words I was thinking about when playing the game, little less a few names used in the attacks. Cinnamon's imagination felt it was that of an exploring and adventuring child, not one that would think of attacks like "fireball". Despite that design choise however, the battles served as well-placed breaks from exploring that could other wise be a little tedious (jungle section I am looking at you), and also managed to prove to be challenging and very strategic, so they weren't a total pushover.

But all in all, the game is extremely fun. Jumping, climbing and hanging felt exciting and refreshing through the eyes of a young girl looking for her parent. There was a point in the game where I encountered a bug that allowed to skip the jungle area entirely. But didn't seem to hinder the story and my experience of the game, since I was starting to feel the Jungle area of the game seem to be confusing a little bit, but it's worth noting.

Unraveled is definitely a game to remember for this contest. A thorough and beautiful presentation with a quiet but imaginative narrative despite some minor setbacks, makes it a game that many other games will have problems overcoming for the prizes.

4/5

Thank you for the review, T! Excellently written and I actually agree with the points you're making. The latter half of the game had some content cut so the judges can finish it within the hour, as the ending is so important. On the other hand, having all these scenes suddenly play in a row can seem rushed.

As for the skill names, that's a great point. I'll work on making them more child-like. :) With more time we could've done some unique skills, such as having baseball bats rain down on the enemy, or summoning an aggressive rocking horse -- making them more interesting, like the items. I'm pretty excited about improving the game after the contest! ^_^ All this feedback is very helpful; in particular about the jungle/forest area which everyone loved before the release, yet no one seems to love now, ha. It helps that you said it's mostly because of the jumping. Would you happen to remember which part of the jungle was confusing in this aspect? I think I know what you're referring to but just to be sure. ^_~

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Aesparia - the Fallen I got a little bored with the encounters, so stopped playing, they were a little over long with the amount of challenge they had (very little). I liked the idea of the combat system, but there weren't enough options, more slots for runes and scrolls would be helpful in that respect (probably give them there own menu section). Crafting was bland and unless you get more recipes later you can craft pretty much everything you want in the first area. The scribing was an interesting way to custumize your characters, though.

Music, atmosphere, and graphics were all really well done. Easily the most successful part of the game, the gameplay couldn't rise to that level, unfortunately.

Good ideas that deserve further exploration (and expansion) in a longer game, but didn't work this time. 2.5/5

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for playing everyone.  I appreciate your compliments and criticism. The game is meant to be a prologue to a much larger game, but I can see where as a stand alone title it is lacking.  It is suppose to want you to play more, but I suppose I accidentally made it too lax.

These things will be remedied in future version.  Thanks again.

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Oh!-Ko!

There's no sound? Oh there is. Wow, that's quiet. Turning up the speakers.

Haha, little bit of humor with the "head is too square". Love that. Charming. Ah, a point & click game. That's not my style, but okay, let's give it a try. I prefer point & click games where the object descriptions have a hidden meaning (such as seeing the moon when it's day), but I have a feeling that's not the case for 99% of the time here.

Hmmm... Okay... Got the robot. Without narrative I have no idea what to do now. Also, if you select an item when not standing next to anything, the next time you check an object in the room it will think you selected the item. Shouldn't be doing that. 

And quit... Don't have the patience to check out every object in a room to try and find out what I'm supposed to do. Or WAS that all there is to do? Confusing.

1/5

(I feel bad for giving this game a 1 but for me it was basically just 4 maps, some charming but easily drawn graphics, and not knowing what to do next. I'm sure if I had been able to play more I would've given it a higher ranking. Alas, it ended after the robot appeared for me.)

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Oh heck why not

Sunsong (2.2/5)

The graphics, whilst different really didn't work for me in the long run, I really got sick of the unending green. I know the idea was to recreate the classic gameboy look, but there's a reason I didn't play the gameboy for long. The world was very small with little or no interaction with the residents. But for me the biggest disappointent, and this is a theme with me was the lack of coherent story line. Narative drives a tale and most of those entries that fall into the RPG category should be based around a tale and Sunsong fell down in that area. There is no motivation shown for the antagonist even when the hero finally confonts him/it. I just didn't care about the characters.
Vikings Attack (2.5/5) 

Much like other reviewers have mentioned, I don't get the buzz about this game, it's not actually that fun to play, it's lovely to look at and that does put points in it's favour, but the game play is difficult to understand and harder to implement. Still, I could look at the graphics for a while so it's not a total loss.
Perspective (3.75/5)

This one made me think. It's not a difficult game to play, the idea is fresh and interesting and the fun of hunting for clues and solving the mystery is just that, fun. it's not linear in the style of 'go here, do that' you are free to wander in the game world and discover clues and form deductions at your own pace and in your own way. The premise was also a definite drawcard wandering in the memories of another to discover the truth. The graphics are used well but nothing to write home about. There are some spelling and gramatical errors that detract from a great expereince, but overall it's a fun, interesting game with a lot of potential.
[SIZE=11pt]Charon's Sabbath  (2.5/5)[/SIZE]

I really liked the premise of this game and went into it with an open mind, but there are some really irritaing game choices that make the game not fun to play. Insta-death without warning or some clue of danger is not fun, you expect something of that nature in a horror game but this one isn't billed as horror and has no horror elements included. The game also lacks direction in the early sections, wich is when you tend to need it, which doesn't help. The graphcs have some customisation which is quite nice and the music is chosen well, but the disappointments outweigh the pluses in this one..
Tirawrmisu  (3/5) 

This was a bit of fun, I'm not sure if it falls into the RPG or Non-RPG category, the world is peopled with dragons and monsters so that's an RPG trope, but the gameplay is about running a shop, selling pastries and harvesting items from the chocolate-covered forest in order to cook said pastries, so that's not really RPG The game is peppered with puns and has some cute little additions to make it worth spending a bit of time there, but it does feel like something is missing from the game. Probably the actual dragons that are hyped so much in the summary. I liked it, and thought it was fun, but it does need a little more customisation to make it great.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh yeah, did I post Hero for a Day?

2/5

A comedic adventure that is likely to uplift your heart/soul (whatever word you want to use) on the day you play it. However, it falls short in the battle and mapping department. Often, battles came down to just using the strongest skills you could find, with the ally restoring your mana via items. The mapping in some areas was also a bit bland and uninteresting, though the starting room and alleyway after seemed alright. There were a lot of nice tricks with the fourth wall being broken, even in mapping, so the use of these kinds of tricks would be good to keep in mind for your next game. I liked the pipe puzzle section with the quizzes, and the general navigation of the 'maze'. These sorts of things broke up the action well.

Empiron

Shield Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heres my review for Unravelled!

Took me about 1 hour 20 minutes to complete.

Firstly want to stay that the Graphics, Animations, Music and Art was stunning! Really nice! And it felt really immersive.

The Story and the discovering secrets parts were really well done, and some bits even gave me goosebumps.  Oh that mirror..   o_o 

The combat system was also unique and interesting. But at first when I died and it carried on I was a bit confused. Then died again at the next boss and it continued, I felt like I should be punished in a way for sucking (Doesnt have to be game over start again but maybe miss out on a key cutscene or something to make me want to go back and fight), cause then I didn't feel any pressure for failing! 

I got lost in the Jungle, really lost, it was so hard to tell if I was going in the right direction or not, I felt maybe I could have done with a map or something to show me im not running round in circles, I backtracked myself so many times, and eventually found the right place through chance. 

Apart from collecting those balls there really wasn't anything else to do except find the right way to go. I felt like there could have been something else I could have done while running round gaping at the animations. 

Overall i'd give it a 3.5/5  

nhubi

Title goes here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Oh I forgot one

Fancy and the Fox (3/5) 

This is more a visual novel than a game you do control your eponymous character for the majority of the 30 or so minutes of the game, but there are large chunks of cut scenes interspersed. The contruct is based on a silent movie, with all dialogue being shown via those old fashioned titles in blocks of text, but it's done well without too much thrown at you. The music is straight out of a 1920's music hall piano and fits the premise really well. The graphics are pretty much all default, with perhap a few little tweaks, but since the world starts in B&W and grows in colour as you complete the quest even the default graphics have a new feel to them. There's also this nifty little scratched film overlay to each map which makes you feel like you are watching an old film. There are also two endings programmed, dependant on the number of items you have to take with you into the final (and only) battle.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I do agree on a point for unraveled - the jungle bit has a very hidden section. Maybe making this more obvious would be a good hotfix?

Cinnamon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Saving all these reviews for later. <3 Hotfirelegend: do you remember which jungle bit you felt was very hidden? It's interesting to see how the reviews of the game are divided between people who think the forest level is too open and confusing, and those who think the game guides the player too much throughout the game. ^_^ ;

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Saving all these reviews for later. <3 Hotfirelegend: do you remember which jungle bit you felt was very hidden? It's interesting to see how the reviews of the game are divided between people who think the forest level is too open and confusing, and those who think the game guides the player too much throughout the game. ^_^ ;
Yeah, the:

Bit after the spire in your avatar, there's a hole in the wall

Bonkers

Bioware, do you need a nap?
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aesparia

The thing that mislead me the most about this game was no MP or magic resource management.  Rune points are your resource and you will need to build 1 attack for the second tier ability, 2 for third tier and 4 for third tier.

Scrolls were a great idea.  The cost is abominable.  Scrolls need organization by rune type similar to yanfly's equipment organization in a vertical position if it can be managed.  Having them all as a long list doesn't encourage me to use the system.  I waited till about the second floor to craft anything and then start experimenting.  

This makes set battles more about careful selection, as immunity and misses don't build RP.  A few times as I was learning with the shielding knights this cost me an entire turn of RP on a character.  There is no passive that generates RP.  I would have given this to a healer rune.  There is no ability that drains RP from the enemy or puts a state on that keeps a character from generating RP all together, effectively locking them out of better abilities.  So we have a system of battle that's totally in favor of the player and speed.

Now that that's out of the way, I want to talk about the mapping.  It's very stream lined.  I had no problem getting anywhere or exploring.  There are no random battles, and I could easily back track and get all the bonus floor clear chests without a problem.  

Tybalt's promotion mechanic was the best thing I've seen in any battle oriented RPG.  I was not expecting it, it was intuitive that the promoted unit had a better ability to offer and it made the battle more interesting.  This boss would have done well as the final battle with his extra abilities.  He in fact had more going for him than the scripted final boss.

Garren's leaving the party had no effect on me.  I really wanted to pay him the other half of the money, but I never got the option so I was down to three party members for some dramatic reason to create tension.  It didn't work here, I didn't know who the dead sister was or why the good brother was so placid about it.  At least it showed exposition where the beginning of the game didn't establish much.  It happened so fast I couldn't focus on the characters just the fact I had lost my fourth.

Had Garren been more than a mercenary or had some actual significance outside of his role I'd have felt bad for him leaving.  But the truth is I still don't know who these people are at this point and the mechanics of the game make them feel like paper dolls for customization.

I finally got one's nickname of the sea prince too late, which explains his water based rune and abilities.

Red had little if anything to say till the end, and I still know about as much as her as the lone mercenary Garren.

Leonardo's character came all at once, and so suddenly I didn't have a chance to process more than, "He's his brother?  He's using the bad guy rune?  Fighting again!"

The final battle went well, and it was executed in a manner conductive to story and exposition.  And then I realized from what was happening I was playing an introduction to a much larger story.  But it came at a point where things were already over, so I couldn't relish who these people were and what they were doing outside of get the mad baron.

The game itself felt like it was pushing me through quickly.  I wanna make sure I say it plainly, things move VERY fast.  I commented on other games taking too long over the first hour of game play due to the rules of the contest, but this feels like some areas rush the player.  

The game is so well done it doesn't drag, but there are elements that push you along even faster.   I wanted the satisfaction of examining elements of the castle, possibly triggering a reaction in Leonardo or Yoshira.  Thana was just a wall flower, and I know how that goes from experience.  With her fire and rage abilities you think she would actually act hot headed, but she is the most disciplined one there and passive.

The RP system was an excellent idea.  I believe it can be refined a little further.  I wouldn't use the 0 to 100 display, but use a rune graphic with a counter of 0-4 with a different glowing rune to show the resource building.

Scroll system was good, but need some organization to make it less intimidating to a new player.  Especially a player like me who is squeamish to spend a limited resource.

4/5  I really wanted more story elements, and I feel that was the intention of the developer to make me want more.  But there is enough lacking during the game play and the desire comes later after the game is completed.

Mapping and design were fantastic, but the other elements accelerated play too fast.  

Cabygon

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh! -Ko! (3.5/5)
Charming little title with lovable characters. It helps to be the kind of player who investigates everything in every room just to see what they say (and you kind of end up picking up helpful items along the way). Has Toast. Magical talking toast. It would probably be easy to get lost in this game if you don't fully explore everything. Animating the surroundings a tad more might help.

Earth Under Attack (4/5)

Fun to play shooter. The beginning pick up curve was difficult and easy to die in til you can upgrade and stuff. The game picks up the longer you play.

Little Briar Rose (3.5/5)

The art style was gorgeous (it makes you think the whole why didn't I think of that earlier thing) and drew me in the first time I saw it. The introduction could maybe afford to scroll by a little faster. It's a cute morbid (well when you think about it) take on the Sleeping Beauty fairytale.

Vikings Attack (1/5) <- I'd be giving it a 0 if it weren't for the art >_>

Great cutesy art and encyclopedia. Gameplay is another story. Interface could be improved alot more. At this point in time, it's really annoying to have to keep clicking on guns with a 1 use thing, was absolutely lost when starting the 1st stage, could use a tutorial, and numbers over the guns costs. Couldn't hold my attention for more than 5 minutes.

Buntoki (2/5)
Bake bread. Sell bread. Bake more bread. Sell more bread. The art style was interesting. However got pretty lost upon starting the game running around the bakery and losing a few customers while running around rooms seeing if there were items to pick up. Feels like tutorial could afford to be fleshed out. It was okay after bumbling about for awhile, it just didn't feel very intuitive. Oh, I must add I really love the effects on the pause screen.

PS.
Thanks to those who have Goats a whirl =) we're glad you enjoyed the game and will continue to fix its flaws ( >_> like an even more noticable configuration button, camera angles etc and stuff).

TerminusEst13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really hate to sound like a broken record, but if anyone would mind giving my little thing a whirl and tell me what they thought, I would be eternally grateful. It's my first RPG Maker outing, so even something as simple as "ugh rtp default everywhere 0/5" would be sincerely appreciated.

That aside, I might as well throw my hat in the ring. I'll try and touch on some games that I don't think others have prodded at yet. I'm a hipster!

Anna-Belle:

Ah, the old horror cliché of driving along, getting into a wreck, wandering out, and getting lost. Nothing wrong with something tried and true, but it's usually good to follow up with some sort of spin on the traditional formula or twist it in some way. Unfortunately, if there is a twist, I never got to see it--the player's movement speed is slowed to a point where a child crawling had a viable chance of beating me in a race. Add on to that single-tile hallways and ghosts that lunge out at you with speed that made it difficult (if not outright impossible) to dodge, and I didn't see a lot of reason to continue. The graphical presentation is cool, with a high-contrast black-and-white and very simplistic player/enemy sprites, but it wasn't worth slogging through the game for.1/5
Dawdle:

Dawdle is a short game with very pretty visuals, a spooky atmosphere, a clever concept, and a story that finishes all too soon. There's not really a whole lot else to say, unfortunately--the new graphics are very pretty and offer a very retro PC feel, and going through the (small) maps and investigating things again and again can get very creepy. Unfortunately it doesn't take long for you to get invested before you're promptly pulled right back out--the game can end after a total of five conversations, and I honestly felt like this could have a LOT more to it.3/5
Alyssa:

I wanted to like Alyssa. I sort of have a soft spot in my heart for story-driven adventure games. Unfortunately, in the very first conversation, you meet with the maid and she only reluctantly calls you "Alyssa" after you insist on not being called Young Miss, and even then only in the biggest air-quotes possible. WELP there goes the surprise plot twist.The scribble art is very pretty and the atmosphere is quite intense, but unfortunately the biggest game-breaker were numerous glitches that just made it impossible for me to continue--first time I played I entered inside a purple puzzle-room, threw a switch to lower some spikes, went through the hallway, and...nothing happened. I just kept thudding into an invisible wall. Next update, conversation portraits didn't get taken away after conversations were finished. Next update, I exited the purple rooms and went into a prison and just froze in place after finishing a discussion.

I really wanted to like Alyssa, but unfortunately it kept prodding at me in all the wrong ways.

2/5
You're Under Arrest:

I probably shouldn't be reviewing this, since it was made by a friend and I doubt I'll have an unbiased opinion, but the story is easily what catapulted this for me. A medieval-fantasy buddy-cop murder mystery with a grumpy assassin and an eternally-cheery guardsman? Mystery and intrigue? Why yes, please! From beginning to end, the story is clever, well-written, dramatic, and at times quite funny.Unfortunately on the technical side, things get a little...sloppy. There are several doors which glitch out due to switches not being triggered, and there are several boss fights using blurry resizes of character sprites, which look quite bleh. Also the boss music isn't changed beforehand, which results in battles that start up with the traditional music, only to suddenly change after the fade completes, which is very jarring. Also while the "main" storyline can easily take around 45-ish minutes if you speedrun through it and ignore everything else, the chances of doing so are quite minimal. The game overall is much longer than an hour long, and at times it's difficult to actually keep on track of it.

Still, if nothing else, the interaction between the two protagonists alone more than make up for anything.

3/5
Beyond the Pages:

Fetch Quest: The Game.No, really, that's basically the entire sum of it. The graphical presentation is nifty with its black-and-white simplistic appearance, but the gameplay generally boils down to "talk to people, find what they lost, bring it to them", all on a 20-minute timer that bafflingly stops once you step outside of the town, but once it starts up again you aren't allowed to leave the town a second time. Despite that...staying in the town longer than 20 minutes will kill you. There is no given story reason as to why the protagonist would willingly choose to stay in the town and die once the timer is up, which makes the thing reek of forced gameplay. Add onto this an ending that changes based upon arbitrary choices in a conversation you make near the start of the game, and I simply did not have fun with this game.

1/5

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
I really hate to sound like a broken record, but if anyone would mind giving my little thing a whirl and tell me what they thought, I would be eternally grateful. It's my first RPG Maker outing, so even something as simple as "ugh rtp default everywhere 0/5" would be sincerely appreciated.

That aside, I might as well throw my hat in the ring. I'll try and touch on some games that I don't think others have prodded at yet. I'm a hipster!
Oh, I'm gonna try your game as you played horror genre of RPG Maker games. And I'll give you a feedback in comment section.

Mesonyx

That Guy Who Made That One Thing
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Well, if you're looking for the ultimate hipster experience, you should give my game, We Were Made To Perish, a play. It's story-driven, only takes about 30 minutes and -- as far as I know -- hasn't been touched by anyone else in this thread yet.

Also, downloading your game now. ^_^

TerminusEst13

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, I'm gonna try your game as you played horror genre of RPG Maker games. And I'll give you a feedback in comment section.
Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it.

Well, if you're looking for the ultimate hipster experience, you should give my game, We Were Made To Perish, a play. It's story-driven, only takes about 30 minutes and -- as far as I know -- hasn't been touched by anyone else in this thread yet.

Also, downloading your game now. ^_^
You have my attention. This seems right up my alley.

And also thank you very much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally the new pc is working!! But it seems a lost my license to Windows 10 because of the hardware changing :(
Tune in next time for our newest Episode: "PC issues return! Palm uses every swear in the lexicon!"
gotta update my game project thread page later
So trying out Ultra Mode 7 was a bad idea. How do I not include this in my game? XD
Stumbled upon an RPG Maker game on Steam called 'Boobs vs Zombies' while looking for a zombie themed fantasy RTS. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fr34ksh0w_w1ll0w