Rate Each Game out of 5!

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by C-C-C-Cashmere (old), Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  2. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What an absolute killer job Indrah! Kudos to you for doing that; I'm impressed.

By the time you get to T you're probably going to have such a short fuse you'll throw my game into the nearest fireplace for asking you two Yes/No questions in a row as a homage ;_;

3. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    What is the 85 game list?  I don't understand?

4. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The next entry played: Unknown Designation. I'd rate this game a 3.4/5 - This is an interesting game to me that falls short of its potential due to inconsistency, which I would attribute to lack of game-development time (a common theme it seems among many of the titles I have played thus far). 

The vibe I get from this game is very interesting. It feels like a cross section of Blade Runner mixed with Phantasy Star told through a rather stream-of-consciousness narrative, mixed with a good dose of showing and not telling. The story is told in a rushed manner to fit in the hour time period, so I get that, but I think I would vastly enjoy the game more were it a longer, slower-paced one. I hope the developer runs with this game and expands upon it because story-wise I found the concept very intriguing. I loved the running narrative that did not really reveal everything, and the mix of scenes that you jump through, making this game feel more like a series of somewhat interconnected thoughts, which makes sense considering the subject of the story.

Combat was a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed the skills, and I enjoyed the fact that you basically pick from three different combat styles. I felt that the battles were a bit on the easy side, but overall were satisfying and there was more than enough enemy variety. The enemies on the map though only typically walked back and forth so it was very easy to avoid them if you don't want to fight.

The game starts losing points due to its lack of overall consistency. There are a few different art styles thrown together, and the overall mood/tone of the game would be better fitted with more realistic graphics instead of chibi sprites. The battlers are a mixture of RTP style battlers and battlers that I made, but I think dedicating to one style or the other would help make the game feel more cohesive. On top of that, battles jump between a more front-view style and a side-view style, again, I think picking one and sticking with it would help.

Conclusion: An interesting story concept told in a stream-of-consciousness manner that could greatly benefit from further development. The lack of consistency in the art and combat take away from the overall experience, but I still enjoyed this game quite a bit, especially the narrative.

Scores - [0 = Worst game ever, 1 = Terribly disappointing, 2 = Not terrible, but far from being good or something I want to play for 1 hour+, 3 = Solid game, entertaining, has some shortcomings,4 = I would consider paying money for this game, 5 = Among the greatest games I have experienced.]

5. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Follow the link and find out.

6. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, I read your post again and worked it out.

7. TerminusEst13

TerminusEst13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    All right, got more time today, let's see what other games look interesting.

We Were Made To Perish: (oh no other people have reviewed this first my hipster cred nooo)

We Were Made To Perish seems to strike a lot of similar themes as the Marathon game series does: the futility of human existence, the contrast between human emotion and AI intelligence, the exploration of the value of self, and the overwhelming utility of handing a firearm to someone pissed off enough to use it.No two ways about it. I like the story, a lot, even though it strikes a little hard on the fatalistic side of things. The all-powerful antagonist that constantly harrasses you with warped text and corrupted environments is easily the big keeper here, and even after the game he'll be sticking in your mind for a while. On the other hand, the protagonist starts off very bitchy, which makes it kind of...makes it a little eyebrow-arching when their actions strike a sudden 180 into friendly and helpful. But oh well, really.

Honestly, the big criticisms I have at this point are gameplay nitpicks and concerns. Why would beating up an enemy harm her sanity? If she's well enough to be so snarky and sarcastic, she probably has a relatively stable mind. In the areas well after the security cameras, why is dash still disabled? Etc, etc.

In the end, though, I had a ton of fun playing this and I'd definitely highly suggest it to other people.

4/5
    Kosa:

"But what does it mean?!", the call of the critic. He sips his coffee and then stares off into the distance at the setting sun, stroking the stubble on his chin as he pores over what he just played in his head.Kosa is definitely much less of a "game" and more of an "interactive experience" (known in some circles as an "artsy not-game"), with harmless battles, no chance of losing, very linear play flow. I like the idea of going through someone's mind and helping them come to terms with who they are as a person (as well as their flaws), but generally what this boils down to in Kosa is going through a long, long, long list of "spells", trying to pick one out of 20 that will cause the battle to end. If the battle takes longer than five turns, the game tells you right-up what one to use. The writing is all very roundabout, too. We have no idea what Kosa is as a person or what she's done, but we go through vague descriptions about events that happened and how she felt about them.

It's very much an artsy game. The environments are abstract and alternate between simplistic and beautiful, and the music (all hand-made) is all surreal and quite dreamy. While I do think it's worth a shot, I don't think a lot of people will come out enjoying it.

2/5
    After Game Over:

Playing as a villain is something that I really think deserves a lot more prominence in games. After Game Over lets you play as a "not Stupid Evil" type of villain, and I just had to get in on that sheep. Ruling over a dead wasteland is kind of shitty for an evil overlord, aye?The story is funny and I was getting genuinely attached to the characters--even the evil overlord/overlady themselves, who get in some wry comments on the situation constantly. It's got its own original soundtrack, and some of the tracks are a joy to listen to. The map design is quite plain, though--the depth is iffy, the detail is nonexistent, and sometimes a little on the ugly side.

Aside from that, though, the entire thing plays and feels very much like a typical RPG Maker RPG, without any especially stand-out gimmicks, abilities, powers, combat styles, or anything to really call its own. The story is neat, but aside from that...well, it's nothing really new.

2/5
    Deeper:

Generic gameplay in a generic setting with generic characters in underdecorated maps and a stereotypical twist ending that was kind of hurried to without any major foreshadowing. You are a lass tasked to adventure to the east because of Reasons by an elder mentor figure and you come across old friends all the while. Yup.The last cutscene is supposed to turn it on its head, but even then it's still a twist that has been done to death, and even then was barely foreshadowed.

I really hate to write something so short, but there's really nothing that stands out about this. Dottie had a very interesting art style, After Game Over had funny characters, and...well, this has a twist ending out of nowhere.

Title is funny if you're as immature as I am, though.

1/5

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  8. catchthefloaty

catchthefloaty Villager Member

9. Kryzon

Kryzon Veteran Veteran

At the "Drop your games here. Exchange Feedback" thread I arranged with Migidu that he would review my game and I would review his in return.

Seraph Blade Online:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The game is controlled with mouse-clicks, so you click where you want to go instead of steering the character with the keyboard, and you click to control windows and to advance dialogues. While this is a faster method, I would've preferred using the keyboard (or at least having the option to do so) to spare my mouse.

I like the cutscene work that was implemented. There was an attention to timing and animation. The music is fitting, and there are sound effects.

I would appreciate more polish with the navigation and interface. There are several points that need improvement.

The character can get stuck trying to get to some points.

I felt the lack of a 'pause' or 'menu' screen -- you are presented with a set of windows for information on quests, log, player status etc. and they work fine (they're quite sophisticated in fact), but to turn these windows on and off you have to use keyboard keys that are only shown once in a certain message. You would want some menu or help screen as reference for the keys so you don't have to keep trying keys to figure out which ones work for each window.

Some characters display the "you can talk to me" icon when you hover the mouse, but they don't respond.

I was confused when you get to the village: you have to talk to people outside of the buildings to go inside, as opposed to interacting with doors. You don't go inside the inn building to rest, you talk to the lady outside and it happens there.

You have a "navigation pixie," a character that guides you and helps you during battle (think Navi and Link). To get experience you have to kill foes, which is natural. The fighting system is more action-RPG, where the fighting is automatic and happens on the same screen instead of going to a battle screen. You click on the enemy to attack it.

I wasn't so comfortable with the initial foes: they are small animals like rabbits, bees, boars etc. - what kind of experience would you get out of killing animals like this?

I like the dialogue system: you can see who you're talking to as a chibi graphic, as opposed to just a small portrait or nothing at all.

The writing needs to be revised. There are some mistakes such as lowcase "i's" for first person pronouns among others. You can understand the dialogues.

It seems a lot of work went into this project.

With all these points, I rate this project 2.9 / 5.

10. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Catchthefloaty, I just tried out your game because, well, you asked :)Kaleid. I'd rate this game a 3/5 - It is a pretty simple game where the object is to shoot things coming towards you and avoid getting hit by them. That's pretty much it. It's not a bad game, but I feel it lacks enough depth to keep me engaged for an hour (I think I played about 15-20 minutes). 

The game itself is easy enough to pick up and play, no real learning curve to it, it's all spelled out for you in the tutorial section. Aesthetically I suppose the game is nice enough. it didn't burn my retinas with its colors, but I am not sure how excited I can get about basic geometric shapes shooting each other, either. I like the idea that you can replenish your squares by defeating enemies, and when enemies hit you you lose some of your squares; it sort of reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog when you get hit and lose your rings. 

But since the entire game revolves around just moving and shooting, there really isn't anything else to talk about. It's a fun distraction, but not an engrossing experience. It's something you pick up and play at the office to kill 10-15 minutes before lunch break, not something you go home and unwind to, but that just is my opinion. Maybe there are people out there who get totally pumped for some triangle and square shooting action. 

Conclusion: Not a bad game, but not something that grabbed my attention nor made me want to continue playing past a couple of quick rounds. 

Scores - [0 = Worst game ever, 1 = Terribly disappointing, 2 = Not terrible, but far from being good or something I want to play for 1 hour+, 3 = Solid game, entertaining, has some shortcomings,4 = I would consider paying money for this game, 5 = Among the greatest games I have experienced.]

11. Mesonyx

Mesonyx That Guy Who Made That One Thing Member

First Language:
    English
    Just finished RUSELAN.

If I had to pick a word to sum it up it'd be... delightful. There's really no other way to describe the fusion of art, music, humor, magic and old school RPG mechanics.

You play as a witch sent to a town to investigate a dragon sighting, but nothing is as it seems. (Bum bum bummmm)

I immensely enjoyed the pure personality radiating off the various NPC's. Interviewing various townsfolk was also amusing, highlighting the game's warm and humorous atmosphere. Finally, combat was challenging enough to keep me interested for a time (and no random battles -- Thank. God), even if it didn't deviate too far from standard RPG fare. The overall narrative arc feels like it has a place in a much bigger world (which was obviously the intent), and I'd definitely play a full version of this game.

I'd be tempted to give out a perfect score, if not for a few small things.

1. Interviewing townsfolk, while entertaining due to the writing, didn't feel like anything more than navigating various menus until you find the "right" option

2. Some of the objectives (particularly the Blacksmith's Quest) felt a little muddy. Another time, I was stumped as to what to do next for nearly 10 minutes before I realized there was an additional path in the forest I could venture down.

3. Combat gets a little bland, as it feels like there isn't much of an overall strategy beyond "this slime bro is weak to ice" or "bees + fire = profit"

That being said, I really, really, really recommend this game. 

4.25 / 5

12. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    The next and last game for the evening: Sunken Spire. I'd rate this game a 3.7/5 - It is an engaging, fun RPG and I enjoy the fact that each character has their own customization method for learning skills and such. There are a few things I do not like about this game, but overall it is a fun experience.

The game mechanics are very straightforward. In the time that I played, I did not encounter any puzzles or anything, just flip a couple switches and presto, you move on. So that leaves just the story and combat as the primary driving forces. The story, from what I played, was fun and interesting. The dialogue is well-written and each character has their personality arch-types (the serious one, the not-so-serious one), but they don't really break any new ground. It also took me far too long to realize that the green-haired one is a girl, not a guy. Combat is interesting because each character has their own game-play mechanics. The green haired one plays exactly like a Death Knight from World of Warcraft, where the other main character has a more original setup where you have to research new and different things. I particularly enjoyed creating the battle golem and the fact that I could then upgrade this golem and customize it to do battle, heal, or whatever else (though I did not get far enough to actually utilize this - I just really like the idea). Beyond the variances between characters in combat, there isn't much else that is special there - all of the battlers are static and don't move, and they are confined to an odd space in the screen so it's not much to look at, but still, it's fun and that is the important part.

I enjoyed the custom parts of the graphics, like the little cutscene images. These gave the game a more polished and professional feel. But beyond those, the mapping was was decent, though I often felt it was very busy-looking, utilizing too many tiles of too many colors - I could blame the RTP for that, but I suppose it doesn't matter, in the end I was getting some eye strain in the laboratory and the first town (especially the first town). One thing I did not enjoy was the fact that there are invisible random encounters based on steps taken. I feel that this is an old throwback that really almost nobody enjoys, and I felt that sometimes combat happened too often. This made it very not fun to try and explore the forest (in fact, I simply tried to find the most direct route out, instead of going off the side paths). I also found that I kept running into snake + rabbit combos in the forest to be annoying - there really should be more variety here.

Conclusion: This is a solid RPG with some small flaws. It looks pretty good for the most part, but a bit too busy at times visually. I did find some spelling errors and a mistake with /n[3] being displayed in a dialogue box (this was supposed to reference the ooze's name I assume), so a little bit more polish and proof-reading would not be bad. The true heart of the game for me though is the various amounts of customization for each of the characters in the party - this is what gave me the most fun whilst playing.

Fomar0153 and Makio-Kuta like this.
  13. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For some reason I had it in my head that I would play a game called Peace of Mind. I looked through my folder of games and couldn't find it, so if that is a real game (and I didnt just get names mixed up), if the guy/gal that made it could post me a new link I will get back to it.

I did play Ashworth (for about 40 min). 

This is in interesting game. Much slower paced then many of the other games I've played for the contest. The presentation is polished for the most part, but the ways its not really impact the horror atmosphere. There is some clipping when you walk behind something (not always, but most of the time), and in the parts where he displays an image that covers the screen I kept getting the little information bubbles covering the top portion. Hopefully those would be easy to fix. The music also cut out in kind of a weird way, I seem to remember this happening mainly during battles. I liked the mapping, really detailed.

The writing is well-done. Its error free, and does a good job at reinforcing that horror feeling. I would've liked a bit more insight into the character I was playing. Maybe I should finish the game before I critique the writing too much hah. In what I played, I would have liked more insight in to the character.

Combat was pretty straight-forward. Functional. Not much to say here, it wasn't overly complex or broken, and felt carefully balanced all of which I consider important aspects to a combat system.

I think if you are a fan of adventure/exploration games you should check this out. I would give this a 3.75-4.

14. Mesonyx

Mesonyx That Guy Who Made That One Thing Member

First Language:
    English
    I actually also have this on my play list (immediately after your game, actually)

Here you go!

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/29310-peace-of-mind/

15. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Jesse: I actually thought the random encounters in Sunken Spire was a smart design choice.  The game is so focused on long term character building that the random fights made sense, as your main incentive is to see those bars raise; this is why random encounters worked in FF6 and 7 as well.  Since the progression system felt fresh, the random encounters made sense to me, and the indicator made the encounters at least FEEL less random.  There's also a piece of gear you can get from feeding your slime that cuts the encounter rate in half.  That's not to say it was a game without flaws, but, when I was playing it, that stood out to me, because I normally hate random encounters and they didn't get to me here.

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  16. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    You do bring up some true points regarding that, but I personally am just not a fan of random encounters in this way, and it really did make me feel like not exploring at all. Obviously other people will feel differently :)

17. LingTina

LingTina Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Mom and Dad want you to be a blacksmith in small peaceful town. Yet, you want to follow in your mother’s footsteps of adventure. Go on a quest to find a mysterious magical item to prove your worth. Meet new people and travel to dangerous and exciting places. Enjoy the ride, Wild Dreamer!

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/449

I would to hear what you think about it!

18. Mrbum

Mrbum Villager Member

Would love some feedback on:

Contest page: http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/350#.

Forum post: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/29405-the-swords-of-balance-download-and-vote/

Story driven traditional JRPG style featuring:

Heavy emphasis on story and character interaction.

Overhauled battle engine by Yanfly.

Features the music of Kevin MacLeod.

Flexible class system that allows for considerable party customization.

First chapter (of 9 planed) fully implemented and polished.

Interesting puzzles and dungeons.

Lore Books containing back-story about the setting and plot.

Hard Mode and New Game+.

19. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

Hi again!

So, I finally got to play (and finish) Unraveled. But before I start, I want to say something: this is really not my kind of game, but I'll try my best to be fair. Now, here's my review:

Seems like your overall presentation is just great: both visuals and sounds are really good. The overal style of the game is really coherent with the tone and mood, so you did a very good job there. The music was nice, BUT (and this is a big but for me) the intro theme reminded me TOO MUCH of "To Zanarkand". 

Now, about the game mechanics. First of all, I'll compare your game to another big hit: "To the moon". The "explore and collect" in the different stages reminded me of it, and at first it was nice... until I got to the jungle stage. Here, scenery, walls and floors were all too much alike and I had some big problems navigating that maze. And having to find 12 marbles? Really? That was a big downer and I had to put down the game after trying to find the way to open a door (the one with the striped blue and yellow thing) with no success. After some rest I went back to it... and couldn't find it either. What I did find was what I think is a bug: I discovered I could walk through something I had thought previously that was a wall, and then I DID walk through a wall that just took me to the skeleton dragon boss. Weird, but at least I could move on with the game. It was nice that the last stage was just 6 marbles again, because I don't think I could stand being lost in another level ;)

Combat is... I don't know. I like the interface, and the idea is nice... but I don't think it really works in the end. Games were you have to work up a resource in order to get stronger attacks are nice, but when one resource depletes the other, and you can't always heal because of it... I don't know, but it just didn't click with me. Also, some skills were mostly useless (protect and provoke, I'm talking about you), and as the blue side had few attacks, trying to take advantage of the focus/rage weakness was just too random. Like the dragon using shield in a random moment halfway through the battle. I had to try to change my strategy to be able to get the shatter spell with Marbles, but it just took too many turns and I got killed. 

And when I saw I could continue from there, I got mixed feelings. Why try so hard if the game just lets you move forward?

Finally, I have some comments about the plot: I didn't really get it. Mixing fantasy and reality is nice, and it has been done in many successful games... but I didn't really like how it was presented in the game. I didn't like the lack of text in the game: there's a limit to what you can tell without words, just with graphics and sounds alone... Just who was that kid the girl was waving to before she "jumped" into the water? Why appear there? 

Also... I was just a tiny bit disappointed with the ending. I haven't seen the secret one (and it's more that I don't want to go through the stages again than trying to get 3 stars in every combat), but for what I've read around, it's just some kind of easter egg so I guess I'll pass.

So, in conclussion: A very good game, because it's easy on the player with the nice graphics and music. Interesting combat, but with some flaws because of being experimental. And I guess the plot is more of a hit or miss thing. Anyway, you deserve to do well in the contest, really. I'd give you 3.5/5

The next game I'll try is Sunken Spire (as the author has said she will review all the games in this forum, and mine is one of them, so at least she deserves it). See you later!

20. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the review! I love it. ^_^ Just wanted to pop in and respond to ^ that bit:

The Bone Dragon always uses its shield when its Focus is in the top 3, followed by Dream Shatter. So you can pretty much predict its moves (as with the other enemies). If you saved the Miniature Bone, it's a good strategy to throw that at him when you know he'll use his shield. That way he isn't able to use Dream Shatter the next turn and is stuck on weak attacks until you can use Shatter. (blabla strategy advice sorry!) As for being allowed to continue; the game takes place in the girl's imagination, which means she can't actually die or go "Game Over". The stars are supposed to give en incentive to the player to try harder and maybe do a replay with the goal of getting 3 for each battle.

The battle system's quite experimental, yep. We're using this contest to get feedback on it & improve~. :)

As for the little kid,

he's her brother,
    but the game's very subtle and symbolic (and as you pointed out without dialogue) so it's not for everyone. Things are easily missed. ^_^;
    Will give your game a spin today after Morendah!

Tenchizard likes this.