Rate Each Game out of 5!

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by C-C-C-Cashmere (old), Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Like I said in my post, there are plenty of games out there and I'm not a judge so I just casually play through the ones that spark my interest (which means that you already did something right!) and give feedback on my playthrough and when I quit. In your case I didn't even realize the other tile would've taken me out of the house, but my first 5-10 (?) minutes of playtime were spent just on running around talking to random NPCs to "find a party". It didn't pull me in enough to re-start the game or try to find a way out of the house. Honestly your game started out amazing, with that busy village meeting, but then I just found myself wandering around and hitting a glitch a couple of times and...eh.

As for RTP, there's nothing against RTP at all. You can make a beautiful game with it. Volrath above mentions Master of the Wind. I played that game the first time it came out. The graphics were standard and the mapping mediocre at best, but the level, character and story design were fantastic so I didn't even care. The problem with RTP is usually:

1) It doesn't fit with the story. VX and VX Ace have a very cartoony happy-go-go RTP. Even with serious stories about cancer and whatnot, people tend to leave it like that without taking down the saturation or adding some atmospheric fogs.

2) It's used inappropriately. You can easily go into Photoshop (or heck, Paint even) and copy & paste around to add some variations. Place a flower on the tree and suddenly the game already looks a little bit different. :) Give the flower a strange hue. Why do the trees have purple flowers? Because the ancient race's magic energy was purple and it still runs within the veins of the earth. I don't know; I love details like that. When using RTP people tend to forget about stuff like that as they've been handed pre-made graphics.

If you want a perfect example of a game made with RTP that looks flawless, check out Akasha Seal. I played that game -- what -- 7 years ago? There were only 3 chapters I think, so 30 minutes of playtime, and I still remember it. It was fantastic. I'm trying to find it but it was discontinued and the forum it was on got swiped a couple of years ago... Very sad.

@Xenos: As Ralpf mentions, it would've been great to give a hint at having to buy the scythe. I'd also take down the random enemy counter rate and increase the EXP/difficulty. Although that's just a personal preference, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like grinding. But when I'm running around trying to look for items and I'm taken to a battle screen every other 10 seconds I can't really get a proper orientation of the area.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  2. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English
    No kidding. That means you're a serious oldbie like me. What name did you go by back then?

3. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For my first bit of feedback I'll be looking at Tirawrmisu, which went straight to my must-play list as soon as I saw it, for its adorableness and punny humor.

The setting is cute - a world made of cakes and sweets - but I find myself a bit lost about the premise.  My shop manager is a doughnut dragon?  Are all dragons also pastries?  The customers are all brown and without color... are they pastries, too?  Oh my goodness, the crust of the earth itself is made of chocolate!?  Is this just one big, canibalistic world of pastry-eat-pastry?  What is going on here!?

The gameplay makes it difficult not to draw comparisons to other shop games, like Recettear, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  In the first minutes of the game, I'm getting some idea of what I should be doing:  The clock ticks down, I go out and find ingredients to make pastries with, and then try to sell them off to customers.  The problem comes in the details - when can I make different pastries?  What's a reasonable asking price?  Is this gold for my own use, or does Mr. Doughnut need to it avoid getting eaten by presumably-a-muffin-or-something dragon king?  It seems like a rather complex game system that could do with some more up-front explanation, if just optionally.

The basic systems are fun enough, but everything moves just a tad bit too slowly.  The shop is humongous, but you only really need to go to a couple spots - the counter, the stand, or the oven, so there's a lot of running around in between tasks.  The Forest is similar - once you've collected a type of ingredient, you need to trek back through the whole forest to deposit it.  Both of these size issues make sense in the grand scheme of things (it's a time-management game, after all), but it still makes the experience feel a little slow and repetitive.  I feel like it might be improved dramatically if the emphasis was more on a higher amount of faster-moving tasks, with the difficulty adjusted accordingly.  This problem is compounded by the lack of the sort of day-advancement systems you see in other such games - going to bed for the night, having to operate between certain business hours, or that sort of thing - as well as the lack of a seconds display on the clock making it seem like time just stands still, sometimes.  My character's been up for nearly 24 hours now, baking away, still only able to throw as many 'misus at his customers as he can manage, and still that silly frosted dragon is nowhere to be seen.  I begin to question what my goals are, what I should aim for, or why I must toil away without any end in sight!

Still, it is indeed a cute game, and it has the beginnings of something rather fun, but could do with some tightening up of the core systems to make them more accessible.  Less like a job, ironic as that sounds.  The ideas are wonderful, it's just a matter of pacing and polish, at this point.

3.5 / 5

4. TerminusEst13

TerminusEst13 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Whee, a few more.

Contestimony:

Hoo boy, we've all been there. "I should sleep...but I have a pressing deadline coming up!"
    There's no plot to speak of, and gameplay is almost entirely a fighting system--slowly bring up a progress bar while fighting off the pressure of if you're going to be able to make it. Simple, but charming, easy enough to play and fun enough to go through.
    Contestimony was made in two days, and it shows 'cause it's as bare-bones as it can be...but really, it doesn't need to be anything else. It's short, concise, and very self-contained.

3/5
    Agatha:
    what the sheep is going on

I've always been a story-driven sort of person, though as of late I've been a little disheartened in seeing a lot of people just kind of blow off simplistic/default graphics. This, on the other hand, is a perfect display to the argument that original graphics and flashy systems do NOT make for a good game--in fact, in this case, it provides quite the opposite.
    What the plot of the game was, I couldn't possibly tell you. The opening cutscene alone goes on way too long and the conversations between people are not marked with portraits or names; combine this with a very flawed translation, and the comprehension station takes an early leave. I guess it has something to do with descendants of literature characters or an assassination...something? Man I don't fricking know.
    The scene is set very well with custom tilesets, detailed maps, and decent usage of fog/ambient lighting, but the moment someone starts going on about "know their true beauty is me, because I've done it myself. And I'm the only one who can not enchant..." it doesn't take long for me to stop caring about anything.
    I could probably tell you a little bit more about the gameplay, but it too eventually starts making very little sense. I mean, it starts off as a typical turn-based RPG, right? I mean, tons of custom graphics and really flashy-looking, very pretty, but eventually I got to the point where enemies just kind of gave up on taking turns and I could take tens of shots in a row without them even giving a dayum. There's a system where you have to input a button combination to do a special move, but it barely does any more damage than a normal attack so I dunno what the point of that is. Oh, and enemy EXP is unbelievably skewed, to the point where in the very first area I went to mid-60s in a hurry. There's also some sort of card system? Man I don't fricking know.

Eventually I had gotten to the point where I met a Dr. West and he set his zombies on me (which posed no threat to my nearly-godlike-state at that point), he ran away to another room, I followed, and my FPS dropped to the low single digits. Yeah, sorry, not even going to try any further.

I suppose you could say there's a good concept in here, but concepts can only go so far. The horrible writing, translation, and incredibly unclear direction in both style, gameplay, and flow take the wind out of absolutely everything. Awful, awful, awful.

0/5
    Blackout:
    Fetch Quest: The Game (Part 2)
    Much like Beyond the Pages, Blackout's gameplay is comprised entirely of "go here, get X, return back". What "battles" exist are entirely optional, and exist for one turn before the player scares them off.
    The writing is clever, putting you in the point of view of two sarcastic teens in an urban fantasy environment in a house full of magical knick-knacks and thing-bobbers, and while I admit I did spend most of my time looking into everything I can to see what wry comment the two would give, in the end nothing actually...happened. It's not really even an anecdote.

The game can be completed in about ten minutes, and while it's pretty harmless and nothing's actually wrong with the game, it does feel like the equivalent of a single potato chip. It tastes good while it's there, but it's over too soon and you're kind of just left wanting a little bit more than that.

2/5

5. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The next entry played: Disaster on Aero VI. To me, this game is the bees knees and gets the highest score I have yet to give: 4/5 - This game might not be for everyone, but if you love space, spaceships, and repairing spaceships, this game is for you.

The premise is pretty simple: your spaceship is broken and you need to fix it. You have approximately 30-40 minutes until each of your main systems shut-down (fuel, oxygen, and power), so you have that much time to restore them, complete a maneuver with the ship and return to your cryopod. What I love about this game is how detailed each of the computer terminals are (I am a total nerd for this stuff), so you can do all sorts of things like shut off fuel to engines, deactivate them, run the air scrubbers, run power to the various control panels and doors, etc. It's very simple, but it is definitely fun (for me anyway). There are a lot of smaller details that were added that don't really have any bearing on the game itself, like the computer terminal in the medbay showing the vital signs (that actually fluctuate) of your crew members who are still in cryosleep. Little details like this is what makes this game appeal to me (again, space nerd here). 

The game was rather short unfortunately. I was able to get everything online and stabilized and beat the game in around 30 minutes total. But if this game was expanded upon and made more in-depth, I would easily shell out a little money for it.

Conclusion: I love space, I love spaceships, and I love repairing derelict spaceships, so this title checked all of the right boxes for me. If it was longer, had more content, more complex systems in place, etc (basically, more development time), I would gobble it up in a heartbeat. Well done.

Scores - [0 = Worst game ever, 1 = Terribly disappointing, 2 = Not terrible, but far from being good or something I want to play for 1 hour+, 3 = Solid game, entertaining, has some shortcomings,4 = I would consider paying money for this game, 5 = Among the greatest games I have experienced.]

6. runic

runic Basketcase Member

I'm reviewing We Were Made to Perish

First off, it did take a little while to get into the game, and I can see where others are coming from when they mention an unlikeable main character, but I feel that it's natural considering what she's going through at the time.

Love the atomosphere - nothing is as it seems and you really feel something about it (Andy, you're really getting screwed here, buddy). And is that J.D from Scrubs because I feel like it is!

There were a few sequences that had me on the edge of my seat to do it right, even though I knew I could fix things if I messed up. That was a great use of the save feature, should have thought of that myself!

It was sci-fi and very 2001, except it made a little more sense ;P

Also it's probably a common theme, but I visualized Algalon from WoW at one point.

Just a generally great game that proves that something doesn't have to be super long to make you have a legitimate emotional response. You should be proud of this game because it made me laugh, and smile and feel just a little bit sad.

It is obviously thoroughly tested and very polished.

Deserves a much higher place on the board, but I have confidence that it will make a splash in the long run!

4/5

7. MirageV

MirageV Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I gave Tirawrmisu a shot earlier.

The game is incredibly cute, and the dialogue actually made me burst out laughing at a few points, so bonus points for that! The core systems are all very simple in theory. Gather/buy ingredients, make items, put items on display, haggle with customers, repeat. I've heard of games like Recettear, but I've never actually played them before this, so I can't say how well it's being done. It seemed fine to me, but there are a few hiccups.

The intro infodump, while not always automatically a bad thing, certainly didn't do the game any favors I think. It was too fast and I had trouble retaining the information from trying to keep up. Eventually I just decided to forget trying and just focus on what I could actually read after that, given a vague idea of what I could actually recall. While I imagine the plot isn't front and center in a game like this, if you're going to present lore in that manner, I think ample time should be given for the player to actually read it!

In regards to the game play, while simple in theory, it was coupled with a stark lack of direction that left me feeling more confused than I probably should have. How do I get more recipes? How do I tell what I need for the one recipe I do have? I thought the walk speed in the shop was a little slow as well. Maybe it was intentional to foster strategy with the fact that you needed to clean messes and run the register, but I thought it was kind of a hindrance. Maybe introduce dashing with stamina if you wanted to have such a thing?

Overall, I thought the game was cute, charming, and possessed of witty writing, but the actual game play is in need of a little ironing out. Given time to do the latter, I think the game can and will become something great! 3/5

8. BlackMage

BlackMage The Warlock of Darkness Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd like to hear what everyone thought of our entry.

TItle : Calcu-Late

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/648

Summary :

James is just an ordinary student in an ordinary world, but things suddenly change when there's a test tomorrow and he's not studied yet. It maybe just a common thing in everyday life, but not for James.

Will he or will he not survive tomorrow's test? Or is it already too late?

He had only one wish: to pass tomorrow's Math exam! Failing to grasp even the basic concepts of the subject in a night's time, James made a contract with the Goddess of a Mathematics. He had only one task: be the Goddess's champion and win the Olympics of Godly Sciences.

Help James in overcoming this obstacle and ace the test tomorrow in the battle of gods!

9. Tenchizard

Tenchizard Veteran Veteran

I have just played Calcu-Late, so here's my review:

Graphics, sounds and music are good overal. The game has a nice presentation but there's a little bug at the beginning. The main character's portrait seems jagged, as if it had not been well cut-off. In later stages the white borders disappear, so I don't really know why it happens.

The plot is nice, but the writing is a bit lacking. There are some misspelling error here and there, nothing terrible, just little things. I like the bit if comedy in it, and the ending made me smile, so I think you got what you aimed for. Congratulations on that.

Now about gameplay... the game starts too slow, with a long scripted intro with too much text and little interactivity, that kind of put me off. But I decided to stay and give it a chance... and I'm glad I did. Even if the game is short, the puzzles are nice. Maybe a bit common, but nice. 

The only problem are the battles. Second battle is just a pain to play. The enemy moves so fast that you can't stop for a moment and think of what you're doing, so you must run around pulling levers until the battle is magically over. It's nice to get some action into your puzzles, but this one was just too hard, and I still don't know how I could pull it off. And the last battle... I knew what the game was about, as I've always been kind of a puzzle fan, but I had to look up for an strategy on the internet, as I didn't remember how this one went. And I guess people who don't know about it will get stumped because I guess the opponent always does the most perfect move it can. For a short game, having such an IA may be a bit harsh for the players.

Anyway, the game as a whole was nice, the autosaving feature was cool (even if it saved always before lenghty dialogues), and I think everything was well executed.

I'll give you 3.5/5, because it's fun and I do like puzzle games :)

10. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Review Dust to Dust:

So I started playing this game yesterday and continued today. Not much really happened over the course of the next 20 minutes. Of course, the sorceress "villain" turned out to be a good guy and the government is corrupted. At least it seems that way. The characters are getting very unlikable, and there's even a random pilot part of the party (as to why, he even asks this himself in the game). I guess I'd give it a...

2.5/5

Started off great but went down the cliché route of "lets infiltrate the enemy camps!" and the cast became unlikeable very quickly. I don't know. It's a good game but I feel like something's missing. For example, the sorceress explains the background of the "Dust People". Instead of taking this as an opportunity to make an exciting flashback, we're given a wall of text. Same for helicopter ride & crash. If the creator of the game made all those graphics, he could've put in an exciting scene of crashing the helicopter as well. Very promising premise, though, as with Beyond Reality.

Review Calcu-Late:

Auto-save +1 there. Could've polished the tutorial text a bit more, sounds a bit clunky. The sprites (in particular the character face/body sprites) have stray white pixels around them. Those would've been very easy to remove, even for someone with no experience in Photoshop.

Oh sweet! Love the transition from the running into the cutscene picture. That's very good. Dialogue has grammar/spelling errors. Assuming the creator's first language isn't English; could've had someone proofread it.

LOL that girl's face is so weird! Probably intentional. She doesn't have stray white pixels. Hmm. The dialogue is a childish and cute, I kinda like it. Very fitting music.

He never scores more than 3 out of a 100? Alright, haha. "Why would I cosplay as myself?" Haha. I like this. It's charming. Very cute and loveable. I feel like hugging the characters.

Oh thank God, I don't have to press and hold shift to run. Thank you, XP. <3 I love you.

Oh no, this is a puzzle game? Hmm.

Gosh darn it... I can't solve this. I've been given 6 numbers and I need to enter 6 numbers, but what's the order?

Alright I tried everything. I can't solve it. You should be given clues after failing the test x amount of times (like Beyond Reality's first puzzle). Because everything I played up until that puzzle was so charming:

2.5/5

11. Tiarali

Tiarali Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I just played The Vendor.

Graphics are beautiful.  Game concept is interesting and different.  Whole thing looks very polished.  I did notice one small bug in the pub in the town to the south (on the water's edge) where there was a shiny spot to pick a wall nut - on the wall, hehe, and you pick it, it says you accidentally crushed it, but the shiny spot doesn't go away.

I didn't stick to playing it because I found it very difficult for the heroes to actually get success. Tried again, accidentally bought ten times the amount of a product than I wanted, sold most of the stock back but at a loss, of course, and then I found that the heroes had next to no money left to buy the stuff I'd just bought anyway (so, of course, they died again).

So, I think there are possibly some balancing issues that could be addressed if a larger game based on this was to be released, but I do think that that would be worth it, because this is a really good example of a game.  I'm giving it 4/5.

Galenmereth likes this.
  12. samshazam

samshazam Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    m4uesviecr, thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed our game. And yes, unfortunately due to upload troubles we got ours in at the very last second and do not have any media uploaded, which may understandably limit our exposure. I do however have a forum thread here with more info and media if anyone else would be interested in giving our game a play (Indrah, I noticed we are on your list, very much looking forward to what you have to say :D )!
    Check us out:Panic at Casa Corotto

Also please notice on the forum topic one unfortunate little bug that's popped up in the game (note to self: always double check transfer events!)

Thank you everyone! I will return the favour by reviewing many of your wonderful games this weekend. I'm so excited to be involved with RPG Maker again!

13. BlackMage

BlackMage The Warlock of Darkness Veteran

First Language:
    Bahasa
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Tenchizar

Glad that you enjoy the game. Thanks for all of those feedback. We'll polish the game more after the contest is over. :)

About the second battle, the prototype one was far complex and harder than the one that we have now. Nevertless, we'll try to reduce the dificulty in the post-contest version. About the last battle, the simplified AI was in progress, yet because of deadline, it can't appear in the current version.

Thank you for playing our game. :)

@Cinnamon

Here's some hint/solution for your problem.

Have you tried to input the number that shown from the most left to the most right pillar? That should solve the first puzzle.
    The next puzzle will be harder than the previous one, especialy the 2nd and the last boss battle. Glad that you enjoy the first part of the game. I hope you manage to finish it. :)

14. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the hint!

I tried from top to bottom, left to right, in reverse, but I didn't think about literally the pillars from left to right...haha.
    I think I'll stop as I'm terrible at puzzle games and you say the ones after will be even more difficult, but I found your game very very charming. +1 If I could give one word of advice it would be to add hints to the math Goddess depending on how many times you've failed, but maybe you want to force a certain difficulty on the player which is fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  15. nhubi

nhubi Title goes here Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Right, a few more

The Vendor 3.5/5

This one is simply charming; playing as the ubiquitous shop keeper of the RPG world you source materials, research monsters and generally make sure the heroes survive their encounter with the Monster of the Week. It's a fun premise that actually hides quite a bit of tactical thinking and some detailed resource management. The graphics are all default, but used with a level of skill and the characters are interesting. In fact the only ones who are dull are the heroes, but luckily you don't spend much time in their company
    The Farming One 3.5/5

Harvest moon on speed should be the tag line to this one, it's got all the standard options you expect from a farming simulator, crops, animals etc and of course the additional mining, fishing and romance options, but it's all done at speed. The first few minutes are a little repetitive, but once you start auto harvesting your crops you can just wander around doing other things, meeting NPC's, buying luxury goods, looting chests etc while the money rolls in. The characters are charming, even the creepy ones, and the custom graphics for the portraits are great. There are some balancing issues that need to be addressed later in the game, but for the most part it's fun.
    Little Briar Rose  4/5

Oh my this is beautiful, simply beautiful. All custom graphics and music in this simply executed point and click adventure where you play a Prince seeking to free Beauty from her enchanted sleep. It's a series of fetch quests, as most P&C are and the mechanics are simple, but the visuals simply blew me away. There are a few grammatical errors but as the developers are Italian, it's forgivable. I do wish there was a little more variety in the music as well, but that's just a little point. Overall this is one of the better games I've played.

16. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This time I'm giving Sunken Spire a try.

Right away I can tell that it has a lot of polish.  Clean UI, lots of little details on the artwork, and handy convenience features (I particularly liked that interactive objects get a little indicator over them as you draw near).  The differences between the characters make for a neat gimmick, and the story certainly has some appeal to it.  The battle system is very complex, and I can see the appeal in it, but it feels like it's a lot to take in at the start.  Honestly, if it weren't for this being such a short-term contest, I would have liked for it to ease the player into the basic systems a bit more gently.  Elsa, in particular, was pretty difficult to wrap my head around, at first.  The tutorial gave a lot of information, rules, exceptions to those rules... this is a game that would really benefit from an easily accessible help menu, for those of us who don't pick it up right away.

The beginning of the game generally left me a little confused.  Why use basic attacks with the first character, if my (free to use) fire book does 3 times the damage?  Regarding character building, the first fight lets you research Granular Dynamics, but that left me with a bunch of questions that I didn't really find answers for right away.  Like, right when the system is introduced, I'm already at 50/50 in that category.  Does that mean it was a freebie?  What did the research DO for me?  I don't seem to have any new skills or items for having completed it.  How was it determined that I'd research that particular thing - because I fought a given enemy?  How do you pick what to research next?  Do you pick at all?  What's the difference, if you don't get a reward for them individually?  These answers come out over the course of gameplay, but through trial and error - and personally, I really prefer to fully understand systems before being made to make decisions within them.  The first library puzzle was a bit hard to understand, as well.  Normally one assumes that when examining an item in the world, you only have to do it once.  So, it didn't occur to me for the longest time that I had to backtrack and look at notes I'd already read, only to find a code that simply wasn't there the first time through.  It'd be nice to have some indication that I even needed to leave the library.

Overall, it's a pretty enjoyable game with a lot of attention to detail.  It's just a bit hard to get into the first time, and could do with a bit better pacing of information.  Still, it's hard to hold that against it too much, considering the contest it was made for.

4/5

Indrah likes this.
  17. Ratty524

Ratty524 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I forgot about a couple of games I played:

Quick Legend

Rating: 2/5

It's at least different in that it's a short, zelda-styled action rpg. The music gives a nice atmosphere and the graphics are nice. That's all I can give this game credit for. The biggest flaw in this game is the collision detection. Enemies can hit you even when you are seemingly at a visible distance from them, and that the attack from your sword will rarely ever connect even though the graphic of the sword TOUCHES the enemy's graphic. While this alone didn't make the experience frustrating, certain enemies, including the boss, move in random 4-way patterns and change direction constantly. This foils the player's control scheme in that they can turn on a dime, and with the faulty collision detection, they could easily walk beside you while you are trying to attack, and will hit you instead. If that wasn't enough, you need keys in order to progress through the game, but the types of keys and the keys themselves are dropped randomly from enemies and bushes. Bushes never respawn, and while enemies do, they take a while, and with such a system there is almost no guarantee that you'll get the right key, or any key you need to progress. This causes the game to become a repetitive grind-fest and an absolute chore to play. It was a huge disappointment overall.

Can't Catch a Caveman

Rating: 1.5/5

The download link to this game is dead, but suffice it to say, you aren't missing much. What you have here is a simplistic flash game where you have to press keys in an alternating order to run from a tiger. I wouldn't be so harsh in judging this particular game if it actually worked. Pressing the keys rarely ever gets your character to accelerate fast enough to out-run the tiger, or even stand a remote chance. It seems to only want to work randomly, as I as personally only able to gain any distance from the tiger two times out of roughly six playthroughs, and it was just the first LEVEL of this game!

18. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the mini review Tiarali! It could definitely use a bit more balancing, and tuning of the systems--which is exactly what I have planned :D About the bug in the pub: that's actually meant as a joke, where the text about the wall nut references the actions in the painting... Yeah, it's probably a bit too obscure :p I was just too tempted to throw the picture in there since it was drawn for the game by such an amazing artist~

19. Ralpf

Ralpf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just tried to play Tower of 1000? Floors It seemed interesting and well thought out, if what was alluded to was actually in the game, I don't know because I can't get back into the tower. I cleared floor 5, it asked me if I wanted to go back to town, so I did. Built some buildings, did some recruiting, but when I try to re-enter floor 1 I just get a black screen with the HUD. I reloaded, same thing, I don't know if something specific I did caused the bug, but I can't move on.

I like the basic set-up of the game, I'm not sure if you can change your main characters class, but that should be in there. Very basic, but effective resource management. Combat seemed dull (combat in the first 5 floors was very easy...but they were the first 5 floors), but there was the implication that there could have been more. Back story was well done. But I couldn't move on in the game...No Score

Morendah: Search for a Cure I like the way the story is told in the beginning, with the Grandpa and the kid. Though there was no breaks in the middle for story, even small things to acknowledge your progress and that this is being told by a narrator would have been good. I thought the end was a little anti-climactic, but with the mention that it may be expanded, that can be forgiven.

I thought mapping of exterior areas was, for the most part, well done. Interiors were often a little large compared to their apparent size on the exterior maps. The space suit sprite that was used in the moon didn't match the style of the standard sprites, I know that there was a limited time for this game, but watch that in the future. I have a personal hatred of the style of maze you used for the swamp area, but that's just me, so I'm not going to hold that against you.

Combat, as was mentioned before some of the standard attack animations are long, making battles last longer then they should. Most of your characters don't start with any skills, and the few skills they do get during the process of the game don't really add anything (they are just better attacks). There needs to be more variety to what the enemies can do to you and what you can do to the enemies, and the enemies need to be enough of a threat that you need to use more then your standard attack all game.

I liked the star map, even though it was a bit cumbersome getting your ship in the exact right spot. Labels above the planets would have been good, too. 

The story started strong, then feel off, but the beginning was enough to keep me playing 'til the end. 2.5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  20. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    DON'T.

YOU.

DARE.

It's a sad reality that no everyone's going to like your game, and it's another sad reality that many people, some gifted and some not, will have the people skills of a rock.

You can't just let someone's words get you down! If they were trying to help you GENUINELY or not.... just no, man! You'd be doing your fans and the world a disservice by robbing us of one more amazing mind, and you'd be only giving your naysayers (IF.... you have any) their jollies.