Read-Only Attribute Error - What Happened?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Mawichan, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mawichan

Mawichan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I closed my project for a moment and, without making changes to the folder, the following error appeared when I tried to open the project again. This window pops up and cancels executing the RPGMVXA software, or cancels the importing of the project if the software is already open.

upload_2018-10-5_0-8-22.png

None of the files on the project folder are Read-Only.
    I also have modified the security settings in folder and file properties to change permissions and get total ownership of the folder... which doesn't seem to change anything, really. Other than the project file, It seems I'm perfectly able to open, edit, rename, and delete other files in the project folder, like sound or image files
    The folder itself has the Read-Only square filled with a black square and not a check mark.
    I've read that such thing means that the folder is not really on Read Only mode, and I even
    found information saying that the Read Only attribute doesn't really work when applied to folders.
    Copying the files to another folder hasn't worked for me in any way, shape or form.
    I actually have a recent, working back-up of the project. Very little progress was lost.
    But still... Anyone more knowledgeable or experienced has seen this before? Any idea on what could be happening?
    Can the project still be recovered? The difference might be minimal, but it's still stuff I spent time on. And I'm kinda scared it happens again, but to the back up project.
    Thoughts, comments, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Iirc, it usually happens when the project is on dropbox folder or so. But in my case it isn't that problem much, just accept and it worked fine. It didn't work for you?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    one question: what is the exact and full filepath to the project?

Some people made the mistake and storing/opening their project directly inside the steam-cache for workshop uploads.
    If you had done this, then those files are automatically write-protected during sync processes, and that will cause problems.

you need to move your projects to a regular folder in that case, they'll be automatically copied into the upload folder by steam in such a case and the problem will not repeat if the real project is outside that folder (which always was only intended for sync-copies, never for real projects.

4. Mawichan

Mawichan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Huh, Dropbox? How weird, I don't have the desktop app for that.
    Well, clicking accept didn't work yesterday for some reason. I just turned the computer off and called it a day.
    Came back to it just now and clicking Accept worked.
    I tried closing and opening the project once more after it finally opened.
    The file is opening normally and the error is no longer popping up.

To be honest, I only tried clicking accept once and since that first and only time hadn't worked then I just kept closing the error message on the X
    afterwards. Didn't think much about it as I had never had this problem before. I hadn't really tried it again until now that you mentioned it. I'm feeling pretty dumb, but the problem is solved at last.

Thank you very much for replying!

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.