Ready to play - Oh! Ko! (Progress Screens Added)

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Geoff Moore, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Merlandese

Merlandese Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great entry! Short, sweet, and utterly charming. I'm glad I got to play it. :)

Geoff Moore likes this.
  2. dinkledaberry

dinkledaberry Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Olde Englishe
    This is probably the cutest game on this site.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  3. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I gave this little game a play through--thought you might want some feedback:

-First off, the aesthetics are very well-composed.  The music fits with the art, and the art is very charming.-The mood of the game, too, fits with these aesthetics: everything was very light and oozed charm.

-The humor wasn't super effective for me, but the game was still charming.  I think certain audiences will go for this a lot more than me, particularly people that really delight in cuteness.

-Seeing the mother at the end would have been more effective with some clues around the house that hinted towards her being dead.  It didn't have to be depressing--just little things, like Ko saying "my mom's dresses aren't hanging here anymore" when inspecting the chifferobe, for example.  The dad, too could have used a moment that edged around his own sadness at her not being there.  I think there was something touching there, but you didn't want to spoil the cutesy mood with sad subjects, so when you did go in for an emotional punch, it didn't have much weight behind it.

-The mechanics worked for the most part.  The only thing that could have used more direction is the need to climb the tree.  A simple panning shot up to the moon when you exit the tree would have been enough to convey that you needed to go in that direction.  Also, I wasn't able to test this, but it seems like it might have been possible to skip the anchor and get stuck.  This might have been a non-issue, but I wanted to point it out just in case.

-Also, your options were really limited, so this wasn't a big problem, but I would have liked more direction in general.  For example, I don't know why I need to go into the mouse hole other than the fact that it's there.  The chain of events leading up to getting the lens could have been clearer, like I should know that I need to get into my toy chest, and I should know that the cat is sitting on the key.  This will provide the player with an incentive to get a cat to move (the mouse) and a reason to go into the mouse hole (to get the mouse).

-The game was pretty easy, but that's okay considering its feel.

-I would have liked a save feature, even though it was so short.  You never know when the player is going to have to stop playing in order to do something else, so try to give them an option.  If you had to cut out saving for some eventing reasons (which you should still be able to work around), consider having forced save points after each puzzle's solved.

This is a really polished first effort, but it was also pretty simple.  It'll be cool to see you expand your repertoire in the future!

Geoff Moore likes this.
  4. Silvestre

Silvestre Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Alright, I finished the game and I was very happy through it. You have created a sweet piece with unique and simple, lovely graphics. Great job, MU!

I made a short review with the points I found interesting, and some bugs I have found. I hope it's okay to share if you haven't fixed those yet.

- Lovely and original graphics.

- Fun dialogues.

- Sometimes figuring out what to do takes a while, which is very good for challenge and fun.

- The scenes around the ending were very sweet, I see you left some onion cutting ninjas stealthily around, as they almost gave me the feels.

Heheh, that's always great to experience during a game, learning how everything that happened had to do with loss, I guess I may have interpreted things correctly.

Bugs:

- A small bush bug. It follows you around the house if it has already walked up to the bathroom.

- Panda bear thingy appears in the yard when you use the moon key or other things, after receiving the moon key.

- The toast still gives the full dialogue when talking to the toaster from the tile above.

- The menu can be opened from the end screen, and it doesn't fade to the main menu (not as long as I waited, at least).
    Congratulations on your great game, and best of luck with the contest results, MU.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    Geoff Moore likes this.
  5. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore Composer for Hire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yay comment flurry! Thanks, everyone!

@Ultim1337Gamer - Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked it! The save function will definitely be available in the next release.

@Merlandese - Aww, thanks! I'm not sure how Last Radar wasn't on my radar until yesterday, I'm really looking forward to playing it. Anyone else who hasn't already, check that style out!

@Dinkledaberry - Haha, thank you! Wait... a dungeon crawler... where you're a BABY??? Downloading that right now. :D

@Housekeeping - Thanks for the detailed feedback, I really appreciate it! Thoughts on your thoughts:

-Fair point on the foreshadowing for the end, I'm definitely going to do something more there post-comp. Nothing blatant, just a couple more hints.
    -The panning shot up the tree is a great idea, I might well go with that.
    -Regarding the mousehole and toy chest key cluing, I'm probably going to throw that out for general discussion at some point as I'm getting a lot of differing opinions.
    -You can't leave that area without getting the anchor, Ko is unable to sink down to the cave without it. But yes, I very nearly forgot to put that in. ;)
    -Saving was planned, but didn't quite make it in due to time constraints. Definitely post-comp. It hadn't occured to me there might be eventing issues, though. Could you elaborate?
    -You'll definitely be seeing more from me, quite possibly starting with an expansion of this. Thank you for the support!
    @Silvestre - Thank you for the review, and well spotted on those bugs! I really could have done with more testing time, thank goodness none of these are game breaking. I only knew about one from another player. They're all on the fix list now.

I'm glad you picked up on the onion cutting ninjas, haha! :)
    I just want to say to everyone, your feedback is awesome and incredibly helpful. You guys rock! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    Silvestre likes this.
  6. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Ko: I just mentioned the eventing issues since I've had that happen with being able to save anywhere.  If you have sprites that you set to transparent when you walk into a room, for example, then if you were to save in that room and reload, they would no longer be transparent.  It was like that in VX at least; maybe they fixed that in Ace.  That's kind of a backwards way of doing things, anyway; I was just trying to make an assumption as to why you didn't include saving since rpg maker automatically allows saving.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  7. Silvestre

First Language:
    Portuguese
    It's great to know I could be of help!

I made an edit to the post (toaster, not toast), just so you know, sorry about that.
    The lack of saving functions was noticeable, but I took the challenge and was intrigued to continue, so it was alright, it might be a problem for less patient players, though.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  8. runic

runic Basketcase Member

Just finished playing the game and WOW. It was amazing, no joke. It was also one of the funniest games I have ever played, I laughed pretty hard several times. This game is fun, charming and super imaginative. LOVED the mash-up words with the robot, oh my goodness I loved the whole game!

Artwork did not disappoint, I knew from the first moment I saw the screens that I was going to love this game, and I was dead right. So simple, yet so amazing. I think you have the chops here to go all the way!

The only negative things I could think of, people already mentioned: with the lack of save and maybe a small hint system.

A couple detailed points (spoilers ahead):

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I found a bit of a bug with the toast: he will repeat his opening text depending on where you stand around him. So if you're in front and talk to him, things are fine, but if you go on the side and chat, he will do his intro again and vice versa. Perhaps you used a self switch instead of a switch, there?
    I got stuck at one point, however, and I'm not sure if it was my positioning that was the issue? When I tried to give the mouse to the cat, Ko just said she had grown fond of the mouse, so I was stuck for a little while. Ended up shutting down the game and trying again, I don't know if that had anything to do with things, but the second playthrough I was able to advance.

I'm trying to think of what my favorite part was...loved that panda creature, he or she was amazing. Especially with the Monkey bits, and adding the 2nd o was just wow. Super funny! Though what was up with the pictures on the wall? I was like...is that boulder eating that baby?!

And! I thought I was going to cry at the end there...so sad. I'm glad that there's a kind of happy twist though, since everyone got together? Though, it could be ominous because now they could all be DEAD?! But that's just my terrible mind working. I hope O.O
    I'm not much of a reviewer, so sorry about that! But I would definitely LOVE to see more from you in this style, because I was charmed senseless. You're amazing, your game is amazing and your characters are super amazing! You definitely have my vote!

Geoff Moore and Silvestre like this.
  9. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    By popular demand, a save-enabled version is now available! Press 'S' to access the saves menu. Special thanks to Soulpour777 for the awesome Quick Save Ex script! It's available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d97obkdobkz2t79/Ko.exe

I haven't had time to make the other fixes yet (besides one biggie spotted by runic, thanks!), and if anyone spots any issues with graphics upon restoring please let me know.

@Housekeeping: Cool, thanks for the info. Based on brief self-testing there doesn't seem to be any issues with save functionality, but we'll see if anything comes up for new players (hopefully not, haha!)

@Silvestre: You're absolutely right, and your advice pushed me to add the save straight away. You're due a credit in the post-comp release, which will actually have credits!

@runic: Wow, thank you so much!!! :D When I was playing Ruselan I saw our senses of humour are pretty similar, so I'm glad I made you laugh too! Saves now in place, and a hint system is definitey happening post-comp; Ko's going to keep a journal for that exact purpose. Spoilers upon spoilers:

Yep, the toast bug is pure self-switch foolishness, it's an easy fix. D'oh! The bug where you got stuck is more serious, I'll have to hope other players and the judges haven't had the same thing happen. The cat's butt is a separate event, and I messed up the item handling for it. Fixed in the savable version, thank you so much for mentioning it because I might never have spotted it! I drew the pictures on the wall a while ago and chucked them in on a random whim as they seemed to fit the panda thing's craziness. I can't really remember what the heck I was thinking, but I'd guess that the babies are actually some kind of otherworldly cave people and that one is climbing the mini-mountain, which has a face because we always see faces in nature. But I could be way off there. Oh, and your interpretation of the ending is as valid as anyone else's, but I can assure you that no bug-type things died in the making of this game. ;)

runic likes this.
  10. valkill101

valkill101 Alien Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My mini Oh! Ko! review.

The art style is just too cute, had to play simply by visuals alone. I laughed at the mini bot and That Toast, lol! I like that you kept the humor throughout the game, very nice.Each character had their charm, like that teardrop( onion?) guy, he seemed creepy, but in a good kinda way.

I didn't know KO was a girl at first and was that her Mom on the moon?
    Over all, it was a fun and short game and I'm supremely taken aback that this was your first game, very unique and surprising. Good job!

Geoff Moore likes this.
  11. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A new version of Oh, Ko is available, addressing all bugs raised in your feedback! The only visible change is Ko's north/south walking animation. A big thanks to everyone who spotted bugs, you'll all be getting credits in the post-comp release. :D

It's here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d97obkdobkz2t79/Ko.exe

@valkill101: Many, many thanks for the mini review! :D

There's been some confusion over Ko's gender, and Ko is totally cool with that. And yes, that was Ko's Mom. :)

Silvestre likes this.
  12. Cabygon

Cabygon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    That new walk animation is much better! Doesn't look so floaty anymore. Nice work :3

Geoff Moore likes this.
  13. Silvestre

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I spread the word about the game and posted some screenshots of Oh, Ko! over here on my tumblr.

Nice to see an update, I'm gonna try it again.  :)

EDIT: I tried it and finished it again. Everything seems to be peachy, good job!

Only one note:

You can still save and open the item menu during the end screen, somehow.
    EDIT 2: I have made a little something... fanart... fansprite? It's simple, but I might work on all the directions and post the png with all of them here, if you'd like to use it for whatever reason :)

[​IMG]
    Credits to SLEEPY for the base slightly tall sprite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Alkorri and Geoff Moore like this.
  14. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Cabygon: Awesome, I'm glad you prefer it!

@Silvestre: Thanks for spreading the word, that's really cool of you! And yeah, I still need to find a way to deactivate the saving and key item menus at certain points. It's awesome you played through again, and your fan-sprite is adorable!! :D :D

Work on the post-comp version of Oh! Ko! is underway. It's gonna be bigger, better and prettier. More info soon!

Silvestre likes this.
  15. Silvestre

First Language:
    Portuguese
    No problem, I have a bunch of followers for some reason and they might reblog and share the word some more :)

If I may suggest, you could disable the save and menu once it ends, or the common event switch for it, if you are using that.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  16. SoulPour777

SoulPour777 Crownless King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like the simplicity and yet the best concept for it. It gets my attention for the first play, I like that tiny robot. I want one xD

Geoff Moore likes this.
  17. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Played Oh! Ko! (I downloaded the newest version.)

Liked:

* Quirky art/music/writing is consistent.

* The characters have all got personality.

* I liked the humor, though i could see people disagreeing. Also, i found the robot highly entertaining only because i constantly (purposely) jumble words exactly the way he does - out loud, seriously lol.

* The story starts off interesting. It also wraps up quickly and effectively. I swear i thought the kid was going crazy from not taking his meds.

Disliked:

* The message box could be tidied up a bit. (font size, padding, etc)

Issues: no issues encountered.

Very pleasant. Super simple without unnecessary elements.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  18. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Silvestre: That's awesome, thanks again! I really need to get more into social media, maybe even set up a Twitter account for Ko. I hadn't even noticed the 'disable saves' option, that makes it nice and easy! I need to work out how to disable the key item menu as well, I think I already asked about it somewhere so need to dig up that thread.

@SoulPour777: Thank you!! I totally owe you a tiny robot for that killer quick save script. Merchandising time!! Ooh, Ko plushies... :D

@theadellie: Thanks for the feedback! I'm the same with the intentional word-jumbling, lol. :) And yes, message boxes will be totally overhauled post-comp.

I've done quite a bit of work on the post-comp version already. I'm adding a whole bunch of new features/content, and I'm totally open to feature requests too. If there's anything you'd like to see from a more fleshed out Oh! Ko! then by all means let me know!

Adellie, Silvestre and SoulPour777 like this.
  19. SoulPour777

SoulPour777 Crownless King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    About your game though, I was able to spot cool features. I was wondering if you made the rooftop lines as parallax or overhead mapping. I also like the way that you used a different sprite format for the game, instead of using the small / chibi or Mack version of sprites. Is it a script or purely a play on the sprite sizes? Either way, it was a good feature. Maybe, adding more tool tips to the game would help the entire workflow easier to understand, so players would have more info what should they do etc.

Geoff Moore likes this.
  20. Geoff Moore

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The mapping is super simple, really - two images at any time per location, one a locked parallax background using Yanfly's Parallax Lock script, the other a fixed overlay using Fixed Pictures by Seer UK and OriginalWij. These are swapped out as the player performs actions that change the location's appearance.

There's no script for the sprite size, I just made them larger. Obviously that means a fair bit of consideration with the map design to make sure there's not too much dodgy overlapping going on (there are a couple of weak points, but nothing major) but that's pretty simple with the line-art mapping approach.

Ko's going to keep a journal in the post-comp version which will provide puzzle clues, so those looking for more of a challenge can ignore it while less hardcore puzzlers can get extra hints. Is that the kind of thing you meant by tool tips?