Ready to play - Oh! Ko! (Progress Screens Added)

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Tool tips are pop up messages in the map where it gives you clues. For example, when you face a note book, a pop up message appears and says:

"Notebook: Allows you to record important messages. Of course, it always makes sense to record with a pen!"

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, okay, that's interesting... I'll give it some thought! I want to be careful not to clutter things up too much visually, but I definitely don't want people getting stuck and frustrated. Are there any games that use that technique I could take a look at?

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@Silvestre: That's awesome, thanks again! I really need to get more into social media, maybe even set up a Twitter account for Ko. I hadn't even noticed the 'disable saves' option, that makes it nice and easy! I need to work out how to disable the key item menu as well, I think I already asked about it somewhere so need to dig up that thread.
No problem, it's a pleasure, I might even have suggested it to Markiplier, I don't know if you like his youtubbing.

Hmmm... is the key item a special menu, or the script overrid the normal one? I believe you can simply disable the menu if it's connected to that (It's close to the disable save function). Sorry I don't know the exact terms, I'm still very newbie to scripting.

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh, okay, that's interesting... I'll give it some thought! I want to be careful not to clutter things up too much visually, but I definitely don't want people getting stuck and frustrated. Are there any games that use that technique I could take a look at?
If it is not much of an example, the tool tip taken per item is shown in the game Mad Father. We also have other games from Sega (too many of them) that shows pop up messages when you go to a certain place you're clueless what's inside.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Silvestre: I haven't seen Markipliers videos, I'll take a look. Free marketing woot! :D The key item menu isn't linked unfortunately, but I think it'll be an easy fix and it's high on my to-do list.

@SoulPour777: Thanks for the pointer! I'll be sure to check out Mad Father, and I have a bunch of other cluing ideas to implement as well.

I'll probably start a progress thread for the post comp version soon, I'm adding a lot to it so it could take a few months... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted

The Champion of Uncertainty :D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just watched Indrah's stream review of this game, and it looks awesome. Definetly deserves your votes guys. 

PM'd Mostly useless about telling him he should have a spin-off game of the robot, and he likes the idea, and said the Post-Comp game will feature more of the robot :D  

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
PM'd Mostly useless about telling him he should have a spin-off game of the robot, and he likes the idea, and said the Post-Comp game will feature more of the robot :D
No, no, no, there should be a completely new game with the robot as the lead! ;>

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+The graphic style is very simple but appealing and cute.

+Characters are cute and nonsensical, but surprisingly never get annoying.

+The writing is adorable.

+The robot is the cutest widdle thing I’ve seen so far in this contest gosh darnit I wanna squish it to my bosom. (And it talked like a true derp and bringer of smiles).

+Puzzles were not too hard or obscure.

+Not gonna lie, almost sniffled a bit at the moon part (I’m a giant wuss). It was nicely done in an understated way without hitting you over the head and spelling everything out.

+The facesets, especially on Ko, are adorable.

+The robot steals the show. He’s the best friggin’ thing.

-Some of the late areas seem to go by without you actually doing anything in there.

-The bush inspect doesn’t exactly get OLD, but feels a bit tedious.

To the developer: The robot killed this game for me. It was so disgustingly cute with its widdle size and antics and speech and arrrrgggg <3

Ko was also very cute, and most of the other characters (with maybe the exception of the panda, who was a bit meh) had amusing moments.

I liked this game. It was short and simple and fun. My only issue is that from the bush inspection part it seems to lose some charm and go a bit fast (suddenly here’s nothing on the maps, where before we stayed around in a couple maps for a long time). I’m not sure if there was content cut for time, but it feels sort of like there’s stuff that was cut out and rushed through.

Tl;dr: I liked this game. Good job.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@KingDanner and Alkorri: Seriously considering Tiny Robot Story. :)

@Indrah: You rock!!! I posted a more detailed response over on your thread. Thank you SO, SO MUCH! :D :D :D

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Semi-legitimate bump time! Thought I'd share this, I'm making little animations to add a bit more life to the post-comp version:

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I took everyone's suggestions on board and came to the conclusion that what was missing from Oh! Ko! was an actiony pixellated multi-world too-long-to-really-be-called-a-minigame thing where a mother raccoon protects her babies from witches and cyborg spiders and suchlike. That's what you said, right? I'm pretty sure someone said that. So this is happening:

​

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
So I took everyone's suggestions on board and came to the conclusion that what was missing from Oh! Ko! was an actiony pixellated multi-world too-long-to-really-be-called-a-minigame thing where a mother raccoon protects her babies from witches and cyborg spiders and suchlike. That's what you said, right? I'm pretty sure someone said that. So this is happening:

​
That looks cute and like fun. I'm gonna have to try it out :D

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! It's very alpha-ish at the moment but I'm working on allowing up to 10 raccoon babies on a map with a bunch of enemies that can fire projectiles and suchlike, and a banana skin you can use to trip them up.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've recently checked this game out, and I am here to give my kudos to you!

You, sir, deserves all my respect! :3

Sorry, that I only knew about this "gem" much later, since I usually have little interest for the competitions.
Nice going, keep it up!

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@SomaelCK: Many thanks to you! I'm really glad you discovered it, I was starting to think I'd run out of new players. :D

I'm taking a break from raccoon mayhem to clean up the main maps a little while adding in some touches I didn't have time for during the contest. So you can easily see what's changed, here's a before and after:

Contest version

Post-contest version

Also the in-game facial expressions I mentioned earlier are now implemented, so whenever Ko emotes in a message the in-game sprite reflects the emotion:

I'm making a conscious effort to keep things simple while making it look a bit more professional. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

dinkledaberry

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Olde Englishe
Primarily Uses

​
It's like you reached into my mind and pulled out the truth of all truths.

kartersaint

Ornate Brain
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English?
Primarily Uses
How did you get inspiration with naming your protagonist? 

Ko...  Ko.... 

Oh! Ko!...

It's catchy! >_<

Silvestre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@SomaelCK: Many thanks to you! I'm really glad you discovered it, I was starting to think I'd run out of new players. :D

I'm taking a break from raccoon mayhem to clean up the main maps a little while adding in some touches I didn't have time for during the contest. So you can easily see what's changed, here's a before and after:

Contest version

Post-contest version

Also the in-game facial expressions I mentioned earlier are now implemented, so whenever Ko emotes in a message the in-game sprite reflects the emotion:

I'm making a conscious effort to keep things simple while making it look a bit more professional. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)
Those are great touches to it. I never felt the maps were lacking since you presented a simple and cute style, however, these will work.

Do you plan on revising all areas?

Ko's expressions are lovely in sprite version. :)

Good job, MU!

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@dinkledaberry: I KNOW YOUR THINKS!

@karterSaint: I just plucked the names (character and game) out of the air, to be honest. I just wanted the protagonist to have a short, cute, non-namey name and Ko seemed a good fit. That lead to the name of the game, which possibly wasn't too wise as it's fairly unsearchable (due to the abbreviation OHKO, which didn't occur to me at the time).

@Silvestre: Thanks! I hope I haven't gone too complicated. I'll definitely be sprucing up all of the in-house maps and most of the others. There will be more stuff for the player to do in the house, the garden will probably end up a bit bigger, and I also want to expand the mind section and add some more robot sequences, so there'll be some fairly major additions and changes.

Merlandese

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The varied bushes are already nice, but if you could make them all taste different somehow it'd be a professional touch most players would appreciate, especially the ones with no food to eat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Grass... Earth... Sand... Snow! Working on edits for some new autotiles for MZ/MV
Waiting on approval on my One Map Challenge game, which I made to get a feel for RPG Maker. I was able to complete it before MZ's release, now I can focus fully on the MZ game I want to make. I'm excited, ya'll.

I have recently returned to try and developing games after I learned how to use digital drawing software.

My goal is to start simple and small. I am mostly aiming to create a game that I would play, and to tell a story that I would like to read. :smile:
RayGarden7 wrote on Geovid's profile.
Hey I'm new the RPG Maker forms as well and was having the same problem you are with needing 30 post or 30 threads we must complete. Maybe we could help each other out? Why you on the forms what is your goal?

Apparently the various VS core plugins are going to be free. :LZSexcite:
Now to go wash the stink off myself from having had to look at Twitter.
:rtear:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffithVIII