Ready to play - Oh! Ko! (Progress Screens Added)

Kryzon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Dear mostly useless,

It's curious that I was assigned your game to play.

After the deadline passed and we all started browsing the games that had been submitted, yours was one that piqued my interest for some reason. I believe it's mostly because of the art. Your game uses original art, with that cartoon style and that unusual monochrome palette. It catches the eye.

So I downloaded and installed it. The process went fine.

The Art

I like how you made your backgrounds with hand drawn objects in the tilesets. The backgrounds look more illustrated this way, like there isn't any tile system behind them.

The cartoon art is appealing, and while I understand that the fact that it's monochrome must have facilitated making all of the art in time for the contest, the style itself is interesting enough to hold its own.

The Writing

I like the light-hearted writing and the jokes, they felt natural and easy to read. I felt like I was watching an episode of a broadcast cartoon.

Most often I prefer this sort of light story rather than those found in epic, dramatic RPGs.

I appreciate the tutorial on the SPACE and A keys, and it reminded me how in-game instructions are important. If you're looking to add anything to the game, perhaps a pause screen with the ESCAPE key or something like that.

It wasn't clear to me that Ko was a girl until some dialogue in the game with that "monocle guy."

I like the fact that you didn't make the cat kill the mouse or anything like that. I am against any kind of animal cruelty.

There were some clever choices in the writing, like making the "real" bird look exactly as she had imagined it to look like.

I think there's a grammar error in one of the lines. When she is looking for the tiny bug in the bushes, she says something like "for all know I'm looking for a tiny bug."

The Audio

I wish that the music was more present, I had to turn up the volume to hear it better.

I think there's room for louder music, especially because you can get much more dramatic appeal out of it. Near the end, when it gets more emotional, with the right musical theme there you can get some tears out of your player.

Final Thoughts

I read on your submission page that, to my surprise, you had to learn RPGMaker as you made your project. Congratulations on finishing it.

According to my save game the overall playtime was 38 minutes. This was a pleasant experience.

I wish you happiness and a First Prize, or at least enough to get you an unfried notebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey Kryzon, thanks so much for the detailed feedback! I'm glad the game caught your eye and that you like the graphical style. It also saved me a ton of mapping time; each map is just a picture underneath the player and one or more pictures laid over the top, which required a lot of photoshop grid-fiddling but very little map editor shenanigans. Thanks for the story feedback as well, I'm glad it worked for you :) And well spotted on the grammar mistake, I can't believe that slipped through my typo-obsessive net! The music was really rushed as I ran out of time (about three hours, total) and I was very concerned that it would be distracting, hence the low volume. It's definitely getting reworked for the post-comp release.

Really glad that you enjoyed it, thanks so much again! :D :D :D

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you!

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Congratu....??

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Alkorri!! :D

Merlandese

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Totally glad to see you made it to the top! Your game is a great choice. :)

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Congratulations.  Your game is delightful, and I'm so glad it got recognition.

Reaction score
Primarily Uses
mostly useless, when I checked the contest winners, your game stood out the most so I thought I should try it and I'm really glad that I did.

Since I'm a Mac user I had to port it with mkxp (created by Ancurio) for myself to be able to play it natively, so I thought why not releasing it for other Mac users too? :)

Here is my unofficial port of your game, based on the latest version released on August:

https://app.box.com/s/8r2ytbu085n3178aygy3

Oh! Ko! DMG.png

Hopefully this allows more users to discover and enjoy your beautiful, unique game.

Keep up the great work!

Notes for Mac users:

- This game should run on OS X 10.6 and later, 32-bit or 64-bit.

- If you are using OS X 10.7.5 or later, its Gatekeeper feature will prevent this game to run. You can add this game to its exception list by right clicking on "Oh! Ko! (Contest version).app" and choosing Open.

- Save files will be made inside the application bundle, therefore you should not play the game from the DMG image itself, please copy it to your Applications folder or any other path you desire.

- You can reach the save files by right clicking on "Oh! Ko! (Contest version).app", clicking on "Show Package Contents" and navigating to Contents/Resources. Save files have names like "Save01.rvdata2".

- You can enter and exit Full Screen mode by pressing option(alt)-return.

- Enjoy!

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks so much, everyone! :)

Detective Meddlesome, that is some awesome meddling, you rock! I know quite a few mac users who wanted to try out the game and now they can. Kudos to you for sharing your efforts, and I'm glad it was worth the work. :D

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good work on this! The graphical style is nice and the music fis with it :D The puzzles were good and logical, although I were searching through every thing with every object I got lol (since I am kind of completionist lol depending on the situation, sometimes didn't search because it was logical to not do anything lol), good story with it and spent 45 minutes on it :D looking forward for the post-comp release :D

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the game, it's funny you mention trying everything with everything as I was wondering how many people would have seen some of the responses I put in for 'failed' interactions, like the robot not wanting to get wet if you try to use it with the sink or the bath. I've been distracted with my music recently, but the post-contest release is definitely happening in the coming months. :D

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the game, it's funny you mention trying everything with everything as I was wondering how many people would have seen some of the responses I put in for 'failed' interactions, like the robot not wanting to get wet if you try to use it with the sink or the bath. I've been distracted with my music recently, but the post-contest release is definitely happening in the coming months. :D
Yeah, I saw them, and the fridge thing: "(not exactly this says but you get the point) Robot: My system will shutdown if I get cold in there! Ko: ... Robot: It was a robot joke. Ko: So I can get you to the fridge now? Robot: NO" lol and Ko wanting Robot to adventure the toilet lol and so on

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks to M_Michael for pointing out this game to me.

This is a really nice game, I like really enjoyed it.

It has a very nice, short and simple story, with a touching conclusion.

Every character in the game are memorable.

They have their unique personality and quirks that lend themselves to the atmosphere of the game.

The art and music are simplistic in a good and pleasant way.

The adventure style gameplay is simple and smooth.

Considerations to add unique dialogues to every interaction where possible was a really nice touch, and added good humour to the game.

Cluly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Brilliant game! I've played commercial games less interesting than this ... add sound and green light it as a short!

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yay new players! :)

@Susan: Thank you!! I'm so glad everything worked for you :D

@Cluly: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm actually working on a pretty major expansion of the game, and there will definitely be more consideration to sound design! :)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really want to finish playing this, but my children won't let me unless they can watch. And that hasn't happened yet, lol.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Awww, that's so awesome! :D Hopefully you'll get a chance soon, keep me posted!

Adellie

NPC
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey mostly useless,

Happy december! I don't remember if i ever congratulated you, so here:

Have a battery for energy. :- ) I'm still looking forward to what you'll be doing with ohko~.

Geoff Moore

Composer for Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
WOW!!! Omigosh, another awesome Adellie fanart - so beautiful!! Thank you, Adellie!!!! XD XD XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltrone