REALLY noobish question: Questions about enemy general settings in database

waxing-pygmalion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hey all. So, as the title says, I'm fresh to all this stuff. So fresh, in fact, that I don't know the difference between attack and magic attack, and defense and magic defense. I'm trying to design my enemies, and I checked the hovertext for clues, but it makes no sense to me. Could someone explain to me like I'm stupid? Because I probably am since I'm apparently the only person who doesn't understand this.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding!

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Firstly you are not stupid at all.

Attack is considered physical attack, like punching or stabbing a rival.

Magic Attack is an attack power that is expressed through magical spells. The higher the magic attack the better.

Magic attack refers to the power of an offensive fire spell or the effectiveness of a cure spell.

But why such difference? Why Attack and Magic Attack are different?

It's because having two different types of attack, makes you able to have neat stuff in your game.

First off the damage calculation is calculated differently for each type of attack.

And there can be armors that can protect you from physical attacks but not magic, while other armors can protect you from magic but not from physical attacks.

Got a glimpse? :)

waxing-pygmalion

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for your response! Yes, I think I get it! So for the defense against physical and magical attacks, are there like two different HP bars, one for physical damage and one for magical damage? That's the part I really don't get hahaha.

Thanks again!

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
Unless you're using a script to modify what those bars do, you have one for health, the other for mana (magic points).

When you run out of health, you're dead. When you run out of mana, no more casting magic.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, there is only one health bar... Basically the attack and magic attack are just arbitrary parameters that you can use to develop your skills' damage formula in certain unique ways... An example of the most basic way of using them are explained by dreadshadow in his reply. 

Take note that by default (assuming you clear the database and not use the default skills), attack and magic attack parameters aren't really tied to physical and magic, its all up to you on how you want to use them. You can even not use those parameters for damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

lolshtar

Master of Magic thatknow nospell
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those stats are only numbers with identification on them, use them however you want. Don't listen to people saying you HAVE to use DEF as your protection/mitigation stat for example.

The only things l would keep default are HP and MP.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Got a windowskin working nicely to go with Mog's menu plugins.
p8BE5bj.png

tsD4gZS.png

nwpeK84.png
Just getting started on RPG maker and having a blast!
I am once again escalating in the kitchen. I might or might not be 4 types of cookies into baking and not finished...
Today is a great day!
A bust of my character, Lizzabelle, that I put together in GIMP. I combined the RMMZ generated face with my actual illustration of her. This is just me experimenting with busts. I don't really want to use busts in dialogue, but perhaps in the character menu.

2Ixbzbd.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahbsz