TheyCallMeEggs

Game Dev
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. I am starting to think about getting MZ, an upgrade from what I have (MV). I was wondering, would I have to get all of my plugins replaced? What can transfer over? I also have a pretty interesting question: in the editor, does it display the currently used font when you preview text? Or do I have to go into my game to do so...

Thanks!

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The message preview does not use your GameFont as far as i can tell.

For the compatibillity of MV stuff for MZ, Lookie lookie here:

That's for plugins. I suppose you can import mv assets into MZ, albeit with editing.
For myself I've decided to stick to MV. MZ is new and there will probably be alot of stuff comming in the future. MV works just aswell and has well established plugins and ressources. Unless you have a definitive reason for wanting to use MZ, why spend the money?

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV plugins are (mostly) not compatible with MZ. So yes, you would have to get your plugins replaced, or find alternatives. (You may have to buy them for MZ. Since with MZ, more plugins are coming out paid and obfuscated.)

You can also just half-port your MV project to MZ. (By adding the MZ project file to your MV project.) That way, all your MV plugins will work, and you can use some MZ features too. (Like layered mapping, event list, and a smoother editor.)
Here's a video showcasing it:

Last edited:

Nowis-337

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As mentioned above, should probably assume most MV plugins don't work in MZ. There are some occasional MV plugins that work in MZ, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also note the animation system in MZ is completely different vs MV (there are some work around to use previous MV animations in MZ though). Apart from animations, a lot of other previous sound and image assets in MV you can use in MZ (characters, faces, battlers, tilesets etc).

There's always a free trial of MZ too which you can try out and play around first before deciding to buy. You will need to have a look what MZ plugins are available and if they would suit your needs.

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was checking out MZ on Steam. Pretty much every negative review on it is disappointed and notes, that if you own MV, it's better to not get MZ.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Riding thru a slump and not sure how to drag myself out of it. Hate it when these moods take me. Trying to focus on my art but hit a wall with that(TT)
Trying to come up with an idea for a game, so far nothing.
I had one goal when I set out to make my Game Jam game. It didn't have to be super good and the game didn't have to have the best writing - it just had to NOT CRASH.

So yeah, someone was streaming it and it crashed.
Add Special Effects on Map with Tilesets | RPG Maker News #105

Excited to see all the entries for the 2021 Touch the Stars Gamejam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gio908w