reasons why you think a game should be considered a masterpiece (one of the best)

Gallimed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interaction between the main character and the NPCs is one of the biggest deal in a game. People will talk about certain games, but if you manage to nail memorable characters that people will care about, then you've nailed a huge fanbase around your game. Just look at Undertale and all the different alternate universe people are doing for the game.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A masterpiece game is one where all the major elements of the game really complement each other. These games are quite rare, but when they do happen it can become an experience that players never forget.

DonaldAlien3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I usually play the game download at mobidescargar. a very good and interesting game it is a masterpiece

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pretty sure everyone is wrong and Resident Evil 4 is the only objectively perfect game because it has a little Napoleon in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PikanyaDesu

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What makes a game a masterpiece -is it the story or the music, the graphics or the gameplay.
The simple answer is "The sum of the parts is greater than the whole", in that everything contributes to everything, but let me explain each part and what I think sets it apart...

*Story* - As somebody who is a HUGE advocate of story-based games, the fact of the matter is you can only cram in so much "originality" into a story. You must also come to grips with the reality that there's nothing new under the sun, every story has already been told so there is going to be overlap. So what's the solution? Relatable or likeable characters! You can have a great story, but if you don't care about who it's happening to, it's pointless. We are engrossed or emotionally moved because we genuinely want the best for our protagonists, that connection is what gives the story and events weight. That connection can be the difference between "Oh that sucks" and practically moving someone to tears.

*Music* - As a musician, I try to be aware that my love for music and composition is not shared to the same degree with every person. Certain musical scores can REALLY move me and it can to everyone, but just in a more subtle way. Music is recognized, but often times not noticed. Unremarkable music is the biggest problem, where the music is recorded in high quality and sounds nice, but the notes or melody just has no life in it. Compare some run-of-the-mill Hollywood blockbuster film score with the SNES version of the Figaro Castle Theme from Final Fantasy VI...even on primitive 16-bit music the musical score for that game just kills it. Like Jack White says "Technology doesn't make you more creative". For me, music is a pivotal part of the game, especially when it's story-based.

*Graphics* - Now I'm REALLY not a "graphics guy", in that I don't shut a game out for not having hi-res 4k rendered 3d polygons with stellar lighting. I can appreciate games with excellent graphical work, but it's just like a movie with nothing but "special effects" or a wonderfully recorded album with terribly composed music. You have a great voice, but nothing worthwhile to say with it. I have more respect for a game with a better style incorporated in the graphics. Games like Borderlands, Mario RPG, and Breath of the Wild look fantastic to me because of the style of the artwork...the same as a photograph isn't superior to a classical painting simply because the photograph looks more realistic. It's what the graphics convey that's important and this is one of the things that is missing from AAA game titles IMO...a bunch of hi-res graphics with nothing interesting to show in the least :-/

*Gameplay* - A concept often cited, but AAA studios rarely fix or really pay attention to. If the whole point of a game is how it controls or you interact with it, why would this ever be unimportant to a developer? I can think of so many games that I put down, never to pick up again, simply because the controls and flow of the game was terrible. A game can get away with slacking on all 3 other points if the controls for it feel good, this is one of my theories on why people love retro games...they were more responsive! Just my $0.02...

There's no perfect game, but I think there have been many games that hit on all 4 points decently well. Though it wasn't RPG level story, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country on the SNES are two games I feel hit very well on all points (considering a platformer isn't going to have a super crazy story). I'd say Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask do as well, though the original 3d graphics haven't aged quite as well.

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's gotta be a full circle.

Every single element in the game links and ties to each other in a loop.
That's the single defining trait I see in the games I remember most.
All linked up at the end and packaged nicely with the ending.

mazzy-elf

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it should be considered after the game has been out at least 10 years because you can see how well it aged. Stylized games are always going to be visually appealing, if they work in the first place however a game centered around realism is going to look great at first, but in only a couple of years or even at the time of release it can get dated and ugly or spark uncanny valley. Content wise doesn't matter as much in that way but for a master piece I believe it needs a really good story or characters you actually care about. I also appreciate games that dare to try something different mechanics wise thinking of one of my favs games Portal you can feel the devs just want you to have fun.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What makes a game a masterpiece -is it the story or the music, the graphics or the gameplay.
I don't know about "masterpiece", but for me, what makes a game genuinely wonderful is when it uses all of those elements as a cohesive design, to get the user to experience the emotional journey upon which the game is trying to take you, either first-hand or sympathetically on behalf of the characters.

To give an example that many here have probably played, take Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Rex, the main character, has a line in the dub when starting a battle - "We'll defeat them, with the power of friendship!" which, out-of-context, is super-corny. Additionally, the idea of a party of characters in an RPG winning "due to the power of friendship" is a really well-worn path in RPGs; that phrase shows up a lot in those games.

However, does the user experience the bonds of friendship with those characters? In most RPGs, I would say "no". You might, through watching their interactions and experiencing their struggles, but that's kinda woolly. It's like how some games with poor storytelling will have a "sad scene" which you know is sad because everyone looks sad, and sad music is playing... But has the narrative really justified the sadness? Has the gameplay?

In Xenoblade 2, to land the big, powerful hits, you first have to use a combo system that requires a character to start off the combo, a different character to continue it, and another character to end it, and the timing of this has to be right, with characters shouting each other for help to continue. When you've landed enough of these, you have to keep the whole party on its feet to charge up a bar, and when that's full, you can start a big team move which lands the big damage numbers. Again, in this sequence, the characters work together, shouting each other to assist, saying things like "your turn!" when they're done, and the length/power of this move is heavily based on the number/type of combos that you landed earlier on.

If the bit above seems confusing, that's okay. The point of all this is that the characters "winning with the power of friendship" isn't just something that the characters say or that you see in the cutscenes; you experience it yourself, as the player. You have to work together, as a team, pulling off the right moves and helping each other to get them to land. Additionally, characters going down in battle prevents you from doing this in a very real way, so the moment that starts happening, you know that battle's going to go badly.

I don't think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a masterpiece. It has some real problems that could've been avoided. That being said, it managed to do this kind of thing really well, when I find quite a few games fail on this, especially if they're not first-person or they involve detailed, voiced characters.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just two things.

1. The game is immensely fun to play (you would buy it every single time it was released for any system, and play it again every single time, still having the same amount of fun).
2. It does something so unique that it's never been duplicated since. There have been games that have tried to imitate it, or its systems, but none have succeeded.

Under this criteria, here are my opinions on a few "masterpiece" games. It is by no means exhaustive, and they are simply games I think are masterpieces that follow the criteria mentioned above.

1. Mass Effect 1.
2. Halo 1-3.
3. Earthbound (Mother 2)
4. Zelda: A Link to the Past.
5. Zelda: Link's Awakening.
6. Final Fantasy 5.
7. Final Fantasy 6.
8. Chrono Trigger.
9. Secret of Mana.
10. Diddy Kong Racing.
11. Dead Rising 2.
12. Earth Defense Force series (yep, all the games).

Treynor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think what makes a game a masterpiece is a combination of factors. For example, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne are masterpieces for me.

-Immersive world
-Incredible story telling
-Phenominal music
-Gameplay feels good
-Satisfying victories
-Great graphics

isoovak

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
maybe... the creator's taste in everything.

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Writer - Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Personally for me, since I don't have much time in the last 10 years, I played every game looking for reason to quit. :) So if a game that couldn't keep me on my seat for more than 5 minutes then I just have to quit to... study and work. So basically any game during that period that I finished would be considered a masterpiece. :)

Switz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Surprise factor is always a big one. Like God of War. Typically something I'd never play, but loved it.

Anyway, using old school FF's as my guide to a masterpiece

- Struggle. I love games where you have insurmountable odds against you, yet somehow you go on to defeat the big bad enemy

- Music. It's very important. You can take any lackluster SNES or NES RPG and if it had FF music, it really would make them better....make the player feel more immersed.

- More with less. This is a area sadly FF is forgetting in favor of supercool action battle systems, crazy aeon summonings and ticking off every single color in the known Galaxy. Keep things simple and easy to understand. Especially the story. FFX was soooo good, but then....Yu Yevon ughhh

- Use of enemy "generals". A main protagonist or two working for the big bad boss always does two things. It enhances the aura of power the big bad boss has, and it gives you and developers more encounters with your party without making the big final fight seem lackluster

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it's just a personal thing and how it effects you. I don't think there's really any actual masterpiece games. Calling one that is a pretty tall order.

RetailDrone7576

Reillo9
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a game that is a masterpiece is usually one that pushed and maybe even exceeded any and all limitations on the hardware of the consoles they were on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When you discover great tileset resources that you completely forgot that you had. :kaomad3::kaopride:
Just got a better look at the MZ RTP. I'm very happy with it, especially the sci-fi tiles and sprites. Glad I pre-ordered.
I've just checked the VisuStella Plugins for MZ and there are already 11 plugins. The Yanfly team(perhaps a big one?) really works so effectively and efficiently that some MZ users can likely use tons of Yanfly plugins right after MZ's released (still 13 days from now). I wonder if any other plugin developer(or team) will try to compete with Yanfly this time, no matter how slim the chance to win is :)
Hello! :kaopride:I am new to RPG Maker, though I have been lurking the forums for a while. :kaoswt: Hope to make some friends and learn some stuff here! :kaothx:
And now since I've got the whole game parts working, the *contents* await.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linkvaovn88com