Recent Platform Changes for Distribution (Steam and others)

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by bgillisp, Dec 5, 2018.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not sure if you all heard, but recently Valve officially announced their % of the take, as well as a new rule that if you sell more than 8 million dollars, they will drop the cut to 25%. Now, I'm sure the odds we make a game that sells 8 million dollars is very low, but today this just dropped:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...m-rival-store-cutting-a-better-deal-for-devs/

Seems Epic games is opening a new store, and only takes 12% of the cut.

So what do you all think about these changes? Do you think this will be good for us devs, or make it worse as we will have to make builds for many platforms now? And do you think epic games new platform might put some pressure on steam to either lower the cut, or moderate better what games they accept (or both)?

2. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Definitely good. The only thing I didn't like about this news is that there will be no "More like this" section on the game pages, since that is the biggest source of sales for indie games on steam.

Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.
  3. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do know that as a non-US person, a lower cut is certainly always more appealing. 30% of earnings is already taken as US tax from what I can understand from itch.io's payment settings. So any required low service charge fee seem nice.

Not sure if Epic Game's store will turn out to be huge competition towards Steam, but if they do. I hope games on Steam becomes more moderated and the quality goes up to some decent level. The asset flip warning thread here made me shake my head while wondering when will it stop.

I didn't know that the "More like this" section on Steam will be gone soon though. That is a nice feature, I got quite a few other games through there, sounds like a bad business decision.

4. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I look forward to Epic games store. I think it will bring much needed competition into an area where there is hardly any. Also, with Epic stating that their cut will be much lower than Steam, I can quickly see Epic being the hot spot for new and indie developers. It might take awhile to kick off and get the steam rolling (no pun intended).

Hopefully this will entice steam to lower their cut and provide better vetting processes for game releases.

Matseb2611 and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More competition is always better for us and the consumers in the long term.

Matseb2611 and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    At the moment, if I've understood correctly, the new Epic site is only for games made with their Unreal engine.

7. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    From the article's chart break down, it looks like it might be for game in unity too. Not 100% sure if it'll also go to RPG maker engines, but this seems to be a positive note for us developers.

[​IMG]

8. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They said every engine will be accepted.

No, I meant that Epic store won't have this section.

dragoonwys likes this.
  9. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ahhh I see, thank you for clarifying ^^

10. RishigangiX

RishigangiX Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Steam definitely needs competition - not only in terms of revenue split, but for better curation and game selection as well.
    From the article I guess Epic will be manually curating the games until they find a long term solution.

rue669 likes this.
  11. FluffexStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Out of curiosity, have anyone made submission of their game for the epic store? https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about

I wonder how their approval process is and if they'll accept games with RPG maker engines.

12. Hudell

Hudell Dog Lord Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They are currently handling one game per day and apparently they require the game to have a good press kit with a lot of assets for advertizing.

13. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From the news so far, I think this is very good news for indie devs. Steam has had a monopoly in this market for a very long time, and as a result it started to let many things slide and take for granted. A notable competitor will no doubt cause them to give more attention to the areas that both devs and gamers are unsatisfied with. I sure hope Epic does not disappoint.

14. Phenax

Phenax Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    By the way they paid the devs of Satisfactory some money so that the game will be exclusive to their store. And right now they are giving away Subnautica for free on their store. This is some good stuff, i'll definitely try to offer my game on both platforms.

15. FluffexStudios

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is a response I got from Epic Game Store, not sure if everyone got the same:

Thanks for your interest in the Epic Games Store, we are overwhelmed by the response!

The product lineup for Q1 and Q2 2019 is nearly complete, but we are actively building tools and technology to ensure developers have a path to the store later in 2019. As we release more features, we will be able to support more titles.

This email is not a rejection of your game, just an update on timing. We look forward to talking more with you in the future. Of course, Epic will be making additional announcements about the store all year long, so please watch our social media channels for the very latest!