Reckless, negligent drivers' greatest weakness exposed!

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The red traffic light. Why do they stop at them? I don't understand.

A minute ago they were aggressively following less than a meter from your rear bumper. They finally decided to stomp on the fuel and overtake you during a no-overtake zone going around a blind curve. As you round the curve you see them speeding away, already half a kilometer ahead. You can reason they are blasting away at nearly twice the posted limit, which was about 95kph. Further ahead, you observe them hardly coming to a stop at a junction with only a stop sign.

BUT THEN... they stop... because there is a little red light hanging above the next junction. WHY?!

This has been bothering me for a while. You can't say 'because it would be illegal to drive through with a stop light' because this driver has clearly demonstrated complete disregard for traffic laws. We also can't say 'because it would be dangerous' because they clearly don't care about the safety of you, themselves, or anyone else.

So they sit there... held up by something that's no even in the way... with little to no interfering traffic... and wait on the green light. I mean... what's up with the psychology of this? I'm not trying to provoke anyone into disregarding red lights, but what is it about them that makes them so powerful that even the most rotten drivers feel like they have to stop and wait for them, when every other law seemingly does not apply to them? o_O

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." —George Carlin.

Also, to some, road laws are just a suggestion that only apply some of the time.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
because if the others are green, you can crash, and if you drive with no-one
in the way, a crazy person might just speed up and crash into you if you go
through red light.

as I own a driver-license, you can also question, what makes a sign "STOP"
so powerfull?

or a police person that handle the traffic?

would you risk driving through red light instead of green?
taking a risk for a ticket to pay instead of waiting for safety to pass through?

either way, even if the light is green, they must be alert that a stupid person
dont drive crazy through red light :p

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ShadowDragon All good points, but you may have missed that I said I couldn't acknowledge such explanations because said driver has already demonstrated a disregard for safety in general. The tailgating, unsafe passing in a blind zone, failing to stop for a sign with other vehicles at the junction... those are all extremely high risk decisions that are just begging for a collision.

I hold a professional (AKA commercial) driver's license. With that came a lot more training in situational awareness that I swear should be required to hold a standard driver's license :p

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I did read that part though, but I can think more points outside
driving car, which doesn't make sense.

who decided the road rules, traffic lights, STOP sign etc,
who said who should follow them?

you can continue the entire list, but whoever made them, it's
just saver to follow them for your safety and others.

there are even old people driving that drives dangerous, taking a turn
without EVEN LOOKING, or drive slow to make the driver mad, because
they need to be somewhere as most go away on the last minute.

those persons cause the most traffic crashes!
what about being drunk and go on a ride? its suicide if you ask me.

there are more questions than that are answers,
every questions can get 2-4 questions to it, so it's endless questionlines :)

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Speaking of drunk driving.. I've gotten in the car with a family member once, who I didn't know was higher than a 747 on pain pills. That was easily the scariest ride of my life. Even though we were only going like 10, he almost rear ended several cars, decided to turn around by making a right turn off of the road... onto the grass.. forcing a group of teenagers to move out of the way (and shout) while I just tried to not be existent.

When he finally stopped at a stop sign, I jumped out. If I had my phone I would have called the police. I wish I could have because he wrecked the truck not long after by running off into a ditch.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Does a brick count as weakness? Hm just kidding...maybe. :kaopride:
Seriously since the last month people drive like maniacs, speeding and at night try to drift or something at my street. There is a funny curve where someone crashed some years ago, I always listen closely if someone speeds in this direction, maybe he will learn a lesson.
Also some have somehow tuned there cars and are loud in general, I hate these people.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So they sit there... held up by something that's no even in the way... with little to no interfering traffic... and wait on the green light. I mean... what's up with the psychology of this?
We've been indoctrinated as a society to stop everything we are doing when a red light comes on and to only think about the peace and serenity that comes from the light finally becoming the color of nature. A sign is just part of the environment and is as easy to ignore as a pedestrian, but a light, especially a seductive red light, is impossible to look away from, impossible to do anything but stare at.

I hold a professional (AKA commercial) driver's license. With that came a lot more training in situational awareness that I swear should be required to hold a standard driver's license :p
More seriously, if drivers had to actually learn how to drive properly to get a driver's licence, we'd have rioting in the streets from all the people who need to drive to get anywhere because they aren't allowed to drive. There's a lesson I've been told from every driver I've known; Once you have your licence and are on the road, you quickly learn nobody knows how to drive and must learn how to survive.

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@kirbwarrior I agree. Though I can augment what you said a little. I think they 'know' how to drive, but they just choose to do so without regard for human life. I swear, I don't know HOW it doesn't get argued in civil trials where someone was injured/killed, where the at-fault driver had a will to make a choice, and chose the riskiest move, knowing the possible consequences, and thus lost all concern for human life. I believe this is negligence, which, when a serious injury/death is involved, is a very serious crime.

I also believe there are no such events as 'accidents'. There are only 'incidents'. Incidents where someone was either incompetent or negligent. Both of which should be addressed before they are allowed to operate a potential killing machine ever again.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What you're missing is that they don't consider these safety risks to be equal. They compartmentalise it.

Tailgating, zooming ahead of you...these are *controlled risks* in these people's minds. They know they're a great driver who wouldn't mess up, so there's no harm in a *little* speeding, right?

But red lights are different. You do not know what traffic is flowing perpendicular to you. You can't predict it, there's no controlling the risk. So they don't do that, because they're great drivers who wouldn't mess up.

They don't see the logical incongruity because they don't consider those two things to be the same category of putting others at risk.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They know they're a great driver who wouldn't mess up
This line of thinking should be enough to take away a licence. Literally no driver is this good. The actually good drivers know that Murphy's Law is what paves our roads. Seriously, this is such a huge amount of pride. And sadly, very common, I swear every driver I've been with thinks they are driving correctly and well and it's fine when they break the rules, but everyone else is in the wrong inherently.

They don't see the logical incongruity because they don't consider
I mean, this really. Many people don't consider because then they could be wrong. If someone else is at risk, well it's not my fault, I'm a good driver, nothing I do could possibly be the fault of someone else's death, thus it has to be accident. Oh wait;

I also believe there are no such events as 'accidents'. There are only 'incidents'. Incidents where someone was either incompetent or negligent. Both of which should be addressed before they are allowed to operate a potential killing machine ever again.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I heard somewhere that 2/3 of drivers think they're above average. That says a lot. But look up your country's Worst Driver shows, and it's depressing how many people bribe others into giving them a license.
Though here, a lot of people run reds pathologically because it's yellow and they think they can beat it.

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@HexMozart88 with everything said here so far... I actually got stopped Friday for that exactly XD
But in my defense, the road was wet, the yellow light was at the bottom of a steep hill, I was close to it, travelling at 35mph (56kph). My experience told me that such a harsh application of braking pressure in those conditions could have caused a lock-up. In this scenario, it was safer to maintain speed, and clear the intersection, especially given there was no cross traffic waiting. But nooooooooo it changed to red exactly as I passed beneath it and *WooooooooooOOOOOOOOOP* blue lights behind me :p

But hey, I wasn't being reckless, and I certainly wasn't being negligent. I was travelling slower than the posted limit, and the stale green light caught me off guard. I made the most rational decision I could, which was to avoid a lock-up, which would have had me skid through the red light anyway :p

My explanation was valid and I was cooperative with the officer, so he didn't fine me but just gave me a firm warning to "be more careful." Yeah... I'll try. Next time I approach that intersection in the rain I'll be travelling at 1/4 the speed limit. :\

Kanori24

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wait how did this dead old thread even pick up steam again? I actually forgot I ever wrote it! XD

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wait how did this dead old thread even pick up steam again? I actually forgot I ever wrote it! XD
I blame my own necromancy for not checking the date on the thread. It was front page so I just assumed it wasn't that old.

I think I heard somewhere that 2/3 of drivers think they're above average.
I've heard the number is higher for people in general. Like, for anything a person isn't terrible at, they generally seem to assume they are good or at least above average at it. Similarly, most people think they have above average IQ. I should look more into the Dunning-Kruger effect to see how wide-spread this is.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tried something. Little sneak peak of Unity AD.
M42S7Us.gif

It's the little things. Lengthened the time the bar fades in and out to be a bit more comfortable.
3 days until release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tatrunglinh271