Recolor Tilesets with Gimp 2

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by equinoxxii, Jun 20, 2015.

1. equinoxxii

equinoxxii Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I have searched the forum and have not yet found an answer; if there is a tutorial on this, I would appreciate if you would direct me to it.

Here are the steps I have taken thus far:

1. Export desired tileset

2. Open tileset in Gimp

3. Recolor tileset using "colorize"

4. Add layer of a color not in the tileset

5. Save

6. Import tileset into RPG maker

7. Left-click and right-click to get rid of background

The tileset ends up being messed up in all sorts of ways.  Objects are skewed and broken.  The tilesets have an outline of the background color and black boxes when placed.  What am I doing wrong?  Any help you can offer me (hopefully a step-by-step) would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have exported it to your Tilesets folder and edited that version in GIMP, you don't need to import it again. Just make sure you leave the background transparent.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Could you post a screen shot of what your tile set looks like in the editor.

Why did you add a layer of colour to the whole tile set (which I assume is the colour you then needed to get rid of by left and right clicking)?  There may be a better way of achieving what you want without messing up the transparent background.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    where did you add the new tilesheet in the tilesets?

From your description it might be that you simply placed the new tilesheet in the wrong slot.

There are six different tilesheet formats, the five A#-formats for autotiles and the sixth format for B to E tilesheets.

If you edited any autotilesheet, it has to go into the same slot and you cannot add it to a different slot.

If you edit a second-layer-tilesheet, it can be placed into any B to E slot, but not into one of the A#-Slots.