Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi there, I am developing a medium (40-56 hour gameplay) game and am experiencing some doubt about my world map.

While now the map is small and compact part of me wants to add more distance between the starting village and the cities/towns/camps around it.

If you have any suggestions for me on map size for such a project please let me know, I will try to respond 45 minuets after you comment.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is no simple answer, any map (not only the world map) should be as small as possible while being as big as neccessary.

By the way - do you have a team for developing that game? because 50 hours gameplay is NOT medium, that is extremely long.

Professional developers creating games for a living in full time work (yes, there are several of those on this forum) usually are able to create two or three games with about 8-hour-gameplay per year. And that is fulltime work from an experienced (which means fast) developer.

I haven't seen a single new developer who ever finished a 20-hour-game as first project, and creating a 50-hour game will require a team of people working about two years minimum...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hard to say, as there are a lot of variables. Do you have encounters on the map? How frequent are they? How much traveling does the player have to do?

Also, I would suggest not focusing on how long the game is, but what is in the game. I always joke I could make a 100 hour RPG by setting the encounter rate to 1 step and making every fight take 5 - 10 minutes due to the high HP. Now, would it be a good RPG? That is another question. So focus on making the game the story you wish to tell, and whatever the length is in the end, that is what it is. Aiming for an artificial length of time in a game is how we get games that have you stop and grind for 5 - 7 hours, or go find 100 doodads before you can proceed on the plot, or pay down your debt by 100,000 G before you can advance, and so on. None of these approaches (as far as I can tell) are liked by players, so you don't want to do that to yourself.

And, Andar has a point up above me too. My game says it takes ~20 hours to beat (my save right before the final fight is 19 hours, 39 minutes), and it took me 2.5 years to make. And it still has 1 year or so of polish left before it is released. So in the end it will probably be 3.5 years to make a 20 hour RPG.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok noted. Thanks for the in-depth reply's

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I usually make 50x50 for small villages and I split big town in maps smaller than 50x50.

100x100 town usually have lag issues since they have more events than usual. Also they are harder to navigate. It's specially interesting if you are planning to make a complex cutscene on the map (eg. invasion).

For fields/dungeons, I make 100x100 or bigger maps. They don't have much events to handle and I usually need room to make paths to put some chest or quest area.

[edit] On maze-ish map, you may want to make it smaller though. (it's 50x50)

maze.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For fields/dungeons, I make 100x100 or bigger maps. They don't have much
Good advice, I am definitely taking this into consideration as currently I am starting a project with friends (not one mentioned above).

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Keep in mind that you can always change the map size and the editor has a copy-paste feature for tiles.

So, if you decide to reduce or make your map bigger, you can easily shift everything to the top-left corner and change the size.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I started the first draft of my World map with a size of 200 x 200.  I figured that I needed to make it large enough to accommodate adequate details and random encounters.  Though I suppose a lot depends on what you think is a fitting encounter rate for the world map.  I know 30 is the default.  On 20, that's an average of 10 encounters across the map.  Perhaps one should make encounters more frequent on the world map.  What do you guys usually use for map size and encounter rate settings?

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Usually with smaller over-world  maps I tend to set the encounter rate about 20 or 10 (depends on size) for some 40 x 40 maps I set the encounter rate to  20.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I started the first draft of my World map with a size of 200 x 200.  I figured that I needed to make it large enough to accommodate adequate details and random encounters.  Though I suppose a lot depends on what you think is a fitting encounter rate for the world map.  I know 30 is the default.  On 20, that's an average of 10 encounters across the map.  Perhaps one should make encounters more frequent on the world map.  What do you guys usually use for map size and encounter rate settings?
Forgot to quote this one :D

Usually with smaller over-world  maps I tend to set the encounter rate about 20 or 10 (depends on size) for some 40 x 40 maps I set the encounter rate to  20.

Aweed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
So focus on making the game the story you wish to tell, and whatever the length is in the end, that is what it is. Aiming for an artificial length of time in a game is how we get games that have you stop and grind for 5 - 7 hours, or go find 100 doodads before you can proceed on the plot, or pay down your debt by 100,000 G before you can advance, and so on. None of these approaches (as far as I can tell) are liked by players, so you don't want to do that to yourself.
That is a great point. I would much rather play a ten hour game with good story and characters than an hundred hour game with about 70 of those hours being grinding. A good story and characters leave more of an impact than a long game.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Cinnamon Dev, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That is a great point. I would much rather play a ten hour game with good story and characters than an hundred hour game with about 70 of those hours being grinding. A good story and characters leave more of an impact than a long game.
So as it seems I should make my game quality over quantity, (please correct me if I am wrong but I think that's what I should take from this.

Just because  I want to make a 40 + hour game doesn't mean it is going to be a good one, I should take time and pour a lot of blood and sweat into my projects before I expect to make a good flawles game I should focus on perfecting map design, level progression and story/lore first.

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cinnamon Dev  Actually, it's more the usual practice here just to use the @Arithmetician notation rather than quoting my post unless necessary.  It makes the page load quicker for people who are on their phones or have slow internet connections.

Also, instead of double-posting, if you think of something else you want to say, just edit the original post and add it there.

That said, it's good to know your thoughts on the random encounter rate on world maps.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well @Arithmetician thanks for the feedback I am new to forums (and RPG maker in general).

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Cinnamon Dev Something didn't work there... my name should be highlighted in blue.  Be sure to click it at left when it appears.  That will generate a message to my inbox, drawing my attention to your post.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Cinnamon Dev

Straight after apologizing for double posting you double posted. If you want to add something, please use the Edit button and add it to your earlier post.

Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
And there we have it gents seems like I can't do anything but read post correctly on this forum :D

@ksjp17 Thanks for pointing it out though, sorry for double posting I will be way more careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some game development! Feel free to drop by!
Asphodelethe wrote on skybluehair's profile.
Hi! I loe your desert NPCs for adding some variety. I've used them in a free game (The Snow Elf on Itch.io) and I'd love to use them in the new game I'm working on, which I hope to release commercially. I'd love your permission if I could have it!

So I figured out how to put words and pictures in the screen transition. It even wipes away from both the top and bottom. The possibilities are endless! :LZSexcite: I'm going to devise secret messages now for them because I'm a terrible wonderful person like that. :kaopride:
December has arrived and with that, an ¡update for Aletoir Feast! a game made it for the One Map Challenge. I will use some of the remaining switches, variables, and events from the challenge limit to add more content but keep it within the requirements. ¡Have a nice day Everybody!
What I worked on today. :LZSjoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GTFoxN6Y